Do you think Americans should help other Countries?

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by LifeCouldBeGood, Nov 29, 2011.

1. LifeCouldBeGood

LifeCouldBeGood New Member

I have been reading this book for my English class called, "Three Cups of Tea". This book is about how an American named Greg Mortenson tries to help Pakistan towns by building a school for the children. His focus was on the education of the girls, which doesn't sit well with the Pakistan culture. Is this helping their country or is it creating more conflicts? Here are some quotes from the town's people and Greg.
    “I request America to look into our hearts and see that the great majority of us are not terrorists, but good and simple people. Our land is stricken with poverty because we are without education. But today, another candle of knowledge has been lit. In the name of Allah the Almighty, may it light our way out of the darkness we find ourselves in.” Syed Abbas "
    “Look here, look at these hills. There has been far too much dying in these hills. Every rock, every boulder that you see before you is one of my mujahadeen, shahids, martyrs, who sacrificed their lives fighting the Russians and the Taliban. Now we must make their sacrifice worthwhile. We must turn these stones into schools.” Sadhar Khan. "
    “Once you educate the boys, they tend to leave the villages and go search for work in the cities, but the girls stay home, become leaders in the community, and pass on what they’ve learned. If you really want to change a culture, to empower women, improve basic hygiene and health care, and fight high rates of infant mortality, the answer is to educate girls.” Greg Mortenson

I think its great that he is trying to help the country but I don't agree with him trying to change their cultures ways. Who is it to say their ways are wrong. Sometimes it seems that the US says their going into other countries to help but is not the real reason they are their. For example [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8XYBLnNon0"]Haiti: US occupying NOT helping ! - YouTube[/ame]. I think we need to help our own homeless, which is rising every year. Another example is [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L40nOSiOEzs"]"Feeding the Dragon," US Aid to China Criticized - YouTube[/ame]

Should we help other countries? Should non profit organizations in the United States send aid to other countries or should we be helping the citizens in need? Please comment