Gingrich unveils 7 pt. illegal immigration plan

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Calminian, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Calminian

Calminian New Member

Bottom line for me, Newt is a smart guy and knows how to get this done. He's got a history of getting her done. He's got the smarts and experience to put forth viable ideas.

Border fence. Gingrich wants a fence to be built along our entire border with Mexico by 2014. As president, he would suspend regulations, such as environmental impact studies, to get the fence erected on time.

English first. Gingrich would make English the country’s official language.

History lesson. Children seeking citizenship would have to learn our nation’s history.

Visa reform. Gingrich would implement a new visa system. Now tourists and those seeking to do business in this country spend too much time and money on an overly complex process to garner a visa.

Power of deportation. Gingrich said he would make it easier to deport criminals. For example, members of the El Salvadoran gang “MS-13” should be booted from the country immediately.

Guest worker program. Gingrich would adjust this program, which allows foreigners to work temporarily in the United States. A private company, such as a credit card firm, should run the program rather than the federal government.

Let them stay. Some illegal immigrants who have been here for decades would be allowed to remain in the United States. This would affect a “relatively small number” of people, Gingrich said. He blasted claims that his program constitutes amnesty. Those illegals allowed to stay here wouldn’t be offered citizenship.

I like what I see so far.

2. texmaster

texmaster Banned

I would like to see a cap on those "long term illegals".

Other than that pretty good.

3. Ethereal

Ethereal Well-Known Member

Conservatives are just going to have to accept the fact that some form of amnesty is the only viable solution to the illegal immigrant problem. The alternative solution would be mass roundups and deportations and that would be an absolutely unworkable authoritarian nightmare that would end in disaster. The answer is assimilation and targeted deportations.

Anyway, I like Gingrich's plan. It's sensible and workable and in the best interests of the country.

4. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

Anyone who bleeds for illegals like Newt does has to be watched closely.

Let him build the fence first and man it with enough people to stop the flood of illegals.

We can judge for ourselves if border is secure or not before granting any form of amnesty to the law breakers who are already here.

But why not deport many of the illegals during that 2 or 3 year period as we find them?

5. Think for myself

Think for myself Well-Known Member Past Donor

What a wonderful OP. Please allow me to respond to each of these individually.

Really? A president can suspend laws and regulations? Just build a fence and to heck with the local residents? How does that work? I would certainly hope our system of checks and balances woudl prevent the president from simply doing whatever he wants.

6. Eighty Deuce

Eighty Deuce New Member Past Donor

Agreed. Newt is also filling a vacuum left by other GOP candidates. They do not have a comprehensive plan. Newt is starting to sound very Christie-like with his no nonsense solutions, while also taking shots at Obummer.

7. Think for myself

Think for myself Well-Known Member Past Donor

What a wonderful OP. Please allow me to respond to each of these individually.

Really? A president can suspend laws and regulations? Just build a fence and to heck with the local residents? How does that work? I would certainly hope our system of checks and balances woudl prevent the president from simply doing whatever he wants.

8. SFJEFF

SFJEFF New Member

Okay, I am not a Gingrich fan, but I give him points for stepping up and taking the hits for actually suggesting anything.

My objections-
    The Fence- understand I want a completely secure Southern border- but a Fence is potentially both an environmental disaster, and likely to be mostly a visable symbol to reasure the gullible rather than a real deterant. A better answer would be enough Border patrol agents to do the job. Spend the money on good Border patrol agents, employ Americans and secure the border.

What does English as a national language have to do with immigration reform? Will that impact illegal immigration in any way? No- just designed to excite the jingo's.

Children looking to become citizens would need to learn American history- don't all applicants to become citizens have to learn American history anyway- how does this affect illegal immigration?

How would he make it easier to deport illegal criminals? I am all for deportation of criminals but this just seems like something easy to say.

Guest worker program/private company- seems like a minor issue but no problem with that.

"Let them stay"- Newt seems rather coy on the details on this one. The devil would be in the details.

But not one word on penalizing companies who knowingly hire illegals. Not a coincidence he left that part out.

9. thediplomat2.0

thediplomat2.0 Banned

I'll provide my two cents for all of these points. If you go to Gingrich's official website, you will see that his proposal is actually ten steps.

1. States should be the primary participants in securing the border. Whatever way they choose is appropriate.

2. Nowhere in the Constitution does the federal government have the right to make English the nation's official language. The only justification for this could be if it's a requirement for naturalization.

3. I'm assuming this will be a part of the naturalization process. Anything beyond it is unconstitutional.

4. I'm indifferent towards the VISA system.

5. This is a slippery slope. I want to see deportation of criminals that came here illegally, but I don't want to see authoritarian actions and infringement upon citizen's rights. Did Newt ensure protection of legal citizens' right to privacy?

6 and 7. These are liberal leaning stances. I'm surprised that Gingrich supports such a relaxed approach to the immigration problem. It will certainly hurt him with libertarians and xenophobic conservatives.

10. thediplomat2.0

thediplomat2.0 Banned

I'll provide my two cents for all of these points. If you go to Gingrich's official website, you will see that his proposal is actually ten steps.

1. States should be the primary participants in securing the border. Whatever way they choose is appropriate.

2. Nowhere in the Constitution does the federal government have the right to make English the nation's official language. The only justification for this could be if it's a requirement for naturalization.

3. I'm assuming this will be a part of the naturalization process. Anything beyond it is unconstitutional.

4. I'm indifferent towards the VISA system.

5. This is a slippery slope. I want to see deportation of criminals that came here illegally, but I don't want to see authoritarian actions and infringement upon citizen's rights. Did Newt ensure protection of legal citizens' right to privacy?

6 and 7. These are liberal leaning stances. I'm surprised that Gingrich supports such a relaxed approach to the immigration problem. It will certainly hurt him with libertarians and xenophobic conservatives.

11. SFJEFF

SFJEFF New Member

Okay, I am not a Gingrich fan, but I give him points for stepping up and taking the hits for actually suggesting anything.

My objections-
    The Fence- understand I want a completely secure Southern border- but a Fence is potentially both an environmental disaster, and likely to be mostly a visable symbol to reasure the gullible rather than a real deterant. A better answer would be enough Border patrol agents to do the job. Spend the money on good Border patrol agents, employ Americans and secure the border.

What does English as a national language have to do with immigration reform? Will that impact illegal immigration in any way? No- just designed to excite the jingo's.

Children looking to become citizens would need to learn American history- don't all applicants to become citizens have to learn American history anyway- how does this affect illegal immigration?

How would he make it easier to deport illegal criminals? I am all for deportation of criminals but this just seems like something easy to say.

Guest worker program/private company- seems like a minor issue but no problem with that.

"Let them stay"- Newt seems rather coy on the details on this one. The devil would be in the details.

But not one word on penalizing companies who knowingly hire illegals. Not a coincidence he left that part out.

12. SFJEFF

SFJEFF New Member

My objections-

13. Bain

Bain New Member

What power does the president have to do any of these things. For that matter has any presidential candidate ever enacted any of these plans they come up with while campaigning? Look at what Bush and Obama ran on.......:bump: How about Cains 999 plan. :fart:

Only congress has these powers and we all know what they get accomplished, "nothing".

14. ModerateG

ModerateG New Member

Replies in quote.

15. Calminian

Calminian New Member

16. Calminian

Calminian New Member

Actually, if Gingrich gets the same supermajority that Obama had, he can do all of these things very quickly. That's the hope. I think the american people will get it right.

17. Eighty Deuce

So "screw it" then, right ? According to your view of how things work. we can't secure our border.

If Obama stays in office, and/or the Dems control the Senate, you are correct.

18. Speeders R Murderers

Speeders R Murderers Banned

He's pathetic. No mention of ending birthright citizenship or denying jobs to illegals or taking away their benefits like free school and free health care.

19. yes/no

yes/no New Member

Unworkable and ridiculous.

20. yes/no

yes/no New Member

WHAT IS INSANITY?

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Congress has passed 7 amnesties for illegal aliens, starting in 1986.

1. Immigration and Reform Control Act (IRCA), 1986: A blanket amnesty for some 2.7 million illegal aliens
    2. Section 245(i) Amnesty, 1994: A temporary rolling amnesty for 578,000 illegal aliens
    3. Section 245(i) Extension Amnesty, 1997: An extension of the rolling amnesty created in 1994
    4. Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Relief Act (NACARA) Amnesty, 1997: An amnesty for close to one million illegal aliens from Central America
    5. Haitian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act Amnesty (HRIFA), 1998: An amnesty for 125,000 illegal aliens from Haiti
    6. Late Amnesty, 2000: An amnesty for some illegal aliens who claim they should have been amnestied under the 1986 IRCA amnesty, an estimated 400,000 illegal aliens
    7. LIFE Act Amnesty, 2000: A reinstatement of the rolling Section 245(i) amnesty, an estimated 900,000 illegal aliens.

21. Eighty Deuce

Well, right now we have a President, and Administration, and a Party that wants to take states to Court for enforcing Federal immigration laws. And we have this same President spending half now what was spent the year he took office on border security.

That is a bigger abomination than anything on your list.

Let's start with truly securing the border.. Which is Gingrich's Step 1. Everythng gets easier after that. ;)

Or reelect Obama.

22. Speeders R Murderers

Speeders R Murderers Banned

Again you lie. The only alternative to amnesty is NOT mass roundups and deportation. We can easily make these parasites leave on their own, if we take away the incentives we give them to live here.

1. End birthright citizenship

2.. Deny all govt benefits to illegals especially free health care at
    ERs and free school for illegal kids

3. Mandate e-verify for all jobs.

Do those three things and most of these parasites will self-deport. Won't cost us a penny. This is a very easy problem to solve.

23. Roadvirus

Roadvirus Well-Known Member

Just give up and reward criminal behavior? BS!

24. WatcherOfTheGate

WatcherOfTheGate New Member

If he became President he wouldn't do anything about illegal immigration. No one will.

25. Ethereal

Ethereal Well-Known Member

Newt's been doing quite well for himself. As long as he remains consistent and substantive, I think he has a good chance to win the primaries and the Presidency.