Senate oks Gov't to Keep US Citizens in Military Custody, Indefinitely, Without Trial

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by Kokomojojo, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Kokomojojo

Kokomojojo Well-Known Member

Senate OKs Gov't to Keep US Citizens in Military Custody, Indefinitely and Without Trial

30 Nov 2011

Defying the Obama administration's threat of a veto [Yeah, right!], the Senate on Tuesday voted to increase the role of the military in imprisoning suspected members of 'Al Qaeda' and its allies -- including people arrested inside the United States. By a vote of 61 to 37, the Senate turned back an effort to strip a major military bill of a set of disputed provisions affecting the handling of terrorism cases. The most disputed provision would require the government to place into military custody any suspected member of Al Qaeda or one of its allies connected to a plot against the United States or its allies. A related provision would create a federal statute saying the government has the legal authority to keep people suspected of terrorism in military custody, indefinitely and without trial.

It contains no exception for American citizens

[
    Arming the Left: Is the time now? By Charles Southwell 21 Oct 2003

As long as we pose no REAL threat to the powers-that-be, to what is shaping up into [is] a dictatorship, we will continue to be ignored. Right now, we are ignored because we present no organized power to fight this onslaught of anti-democratic, totalitarian government that we are up against...]

just like germany!

late 20's and 30's right before our eyes.

2. RtWngaFraud

RtWngaFraud Banned

Yeah...I've read about this in a couple different places. Sure hope this is being incorrectly reported...what a sad day if true and if it means what I think it means. Our whole history seems to bear repeating though, as we haven't seemed to learn a darn thing so I guess I shouldn't really be too surprised. The system is so screwed up today I guess it's on par with what corporate America ultimately wants.
    The Bushes are all about the Nazi party too so, again, no big surprise. I think we're in the last throws of a civil society now anyway. This time will be considered "the good ole days" by the next generation (if any survive long enough to create a "next generation").

3. Daggdag

Daggdag Well-Known Member

This policy has been around for years.....It's called rendition. They can arrest someone on suspection of being a terrorist or some other vague charges and not only keep them without trial, but can also deport them to other countries, to be tortured, most of the time. The policy was signed by Bush shortly after 9/11. It basically gives the government the authority to detain and deport all US citizens who are "suspected" of connections to a terrorist organization. The thing is, it's very very unclear of what evidence needs to at hand in order to carry out rendition. In fact, there have been several times since 2002 where US citizens have been deported without any evidence whatsoever. A good number of these people have been proven innocent, but have not been allowed back into the US, even thought they are legally still citizens. I had heard that several of people who were detained had planned a multibillion dollar class action lawsuit agianst the US government over being refused their rights as citizens.

4. AbsoluteVoluntarist

AbsoluteVoluntarist New Member

Don't worry. Just vote for Obama again. That will fix everything.

5. Kokomojojo

Sort of looks like we now have a lawless government?

isnt that what they did in germany?

correct me if I am wrong but is that now almost by the numbers the way germany was nazified?

6. My Fing ID

My Fing ID Well-Known Member Past Donor

The worst part about this is no one cares. We should see protests but I'll bet you we're only going to see justification. Even if there was protest it wouldn't last. Look at the nude scans at airports; the protests died and they're just accepted now. If it's not some left/right battle no one gives a (*)(*)(*)(*).

7. jmpet

jmpet New Member

8. Kokomojojo

9. Kokomojojo

I think peoples minds tend to go out on blink with anything that kicks dirt on the cheer leading squd.

they certainly do not seem to relate to the far reaching implications.

10. Blackrook

Blackrook Banned

The problem is that the usual people who get upset over this stuff are not saying anything because its Obama that's doing it.

11. Antiauthoritarian

Antiauthoritarian Active Member

Another bi-partisan effort to bury the constitution and screw us over. Maybe some more people will wake up to the fact that the criminal Demopuplican usurpers need to be dealth with. All options should be on the table, as the war pigs like to say.

12. Daggdag

The Nazis took over through election. Hilter was named Chansellor and appointed fellow Nazi toi chief positions. After that, it was just a matter of passing new laws that gave Hitler more and more power. The Nazi takerover was one of the most peiceful dictatoriships ever formed. Hitler's charasma and the peoples' need for reform did all the work. That is the trick, unhappy people in a nation almost always leads to something bad. I would not be supprised if it happens in the US. The politicans already turn a deaf ear to the voice of the people. All it would take would be for someone with enough charasma to rise up and run for office. Someone who knew exactly what the poor and the disenfranchised wanted to hear and could get their votes. They would in in a landslide. Then, they could use their charasma to support their friends for congressional seats and, and state governor, and BAM...They can make all kinds of ammendments and get them easily ratifided, just like the NAZI's did in germany.

13. RtWngaFraud

RtWngaFraud Banned

Better than directly voting for the corporate right wing super rich, IMO. You're rich I guess, so you see it differently. Vote for a republican and guarantee yourself that NOTHING will change, and the rich will do nothing except get richer. That works for a number of successful corporate rapists, I understand, hence the problem at hand, and the world we have created.

14. AbsoluteVoluntarist

Obama lives in a mansion with a four-star chef and got more campaign donations from big banks than McCain did. Oh yeah, a real man of the people :rolleyes:

I'd be embarrassed to cling to such blind partisanship as you do. It's the death of rational thought.

15. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

That's just wrong. You shouldn't keep someone in jail for longer than 24 hours without charging them with a crime.

You can't lock someone in jail indefinitely because you think they might have murdered someone, so why do that for someone you suspect of terrorism?

16. Daggdag

Every governor also lives in mansions, as do the majority of senators......So I guess they are all the same.

17. RtWngaFraud

RtWngaFraud Banned

But of course, you're rich...correct? The right wing defends the rich, absolutely and unconditionally, and they're downright arrogant about it. Gee....partisanship
    is really difficult to understand for sure. One party gives you the finger while demanding more for the rich, and one suggests some temperance. Tough one for rational thought.

HillBilly and (deleted member) like this.
  18. AbsoluteVoluntarist

Obama's rich and you're defending him, so I guess you must be a right-wing Republican :rolleyes:

19. AbsoluteVoluntarist

Mostly so, though despite the boilerplate of the man whose mind has become sealed in an iron sarcophagus of partisanship, it's not because they're rich but because they're politicians.

20. HillBilly

HillBilly New Member Past Donor

:twisted: well Mak I hear ya , and agree 100 % that people's civil rights ought not be infringed upon ,,, and I'm not up on Austrailian Law , but here in the USA , if a person is a military prisoner , and a person of intrest in a felony crime of murder / terrorism , they are kept in Military facilities under the premise of Security and under the auspices of HomeLand Security and the Patriot Act ....

It's sort of scary to me , big brother and all that .

21. Kokomojojo

they have turned this country into one huge penal colony.

if police get a tip they can enter unto private property and raid it arresting which is now softened and called detaining (same thing), to make them immune from "false arrest" charges, and they can invade a private party and write tickets for any kids that are underage in the name of parens patria.

the great state protector.

but of course they wont pay my danm car insurance!

They just did that here recently, they arrested a bunch of kids having a private party and charged any minors with a 200 dollar fine for consumption of alcohol under the legal age limit that of course no one can afford to pay an attorney to defend against.

america is one gigantic penal colony with more people in prison than all other countries put together.

The judges and legislatures rule the place and they arrest anyone who protests for disrupting public [ insert bs here ]. one huge conglomerate of corporations all taking our money and raping the people of this country.

and now they are forcing the same kind of police state upon us that germany has.

You do not dare openly protest the holocaust for instance in germany, and in the US you do not dare protest the government because they will find something, some reason they can put you in jail and make money off of you for not "going along".

and if that does not work they simply assassinate you like they did with the guy and his kid who came up with a way to trash all of these mortgage companies and was selling some kind of step by step procedure before they had a chance to get crooked rulings in place to prevent it.

How about the assassination of the judge who was going to rule against the banksters in AZ?

They made it look like the senator was the target of some crazed mad man.

In america we have government by force not by consent.

22. RtWngaFraud

RtWngaFraud Banned

C'mon...you can say it...."I LOVE THE RICH". Now GIMME more...correct?

23. SiliconMagician

SiliconMagician Banned

Stay away from Islamic Jihad.

Problem solved.

Tell you what, when they come for Ron Paul and lock him away as a terrorist, then you can worry.

24. liberalminority

liberalminority Well-Known Member

this is great soon we can detain suspected anti-government and right wing militias without any evidence

then go after armed citizens because they can become a threat to government

25. Kokomojojo

didnt they already do that to a bunch of kids in michigan?

then after blasting it all over the news very stealthily let the whole thing drop?

It does not even matter if they get sued by people because all they have to do is raise taxes to make up for the losses LOL