+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Professor Jobs?

1. Post Professor Jobs?

Summary Question: Are professor jobs likely for someone with a M.A. in History right out of college?

So, I have been trying to "research" the likelihood of getting a professor job after I get my M.A., and I am starting to wonder, is it even possible. It seems like a lot of people become adjunct professors, and their average salary is kind of...scary. I am double majoring in History & Dietetics (or Nutrition, not sure which atm), but the main reason I want a major in History is I love it, and want to teach it, but I hope to teach at somewhere besides public schools.

I went through the public school system and I do not know if I could be a teacher. The kids where dis-respectful, pay is lousy, and above all, you can't stop a student from disrupting class, except for sending him to the principal, which is just going to add to his "rep" because apparently getting sent to the principal is a good indicator of how tough you are.

Sorry for the rant, but I am terrified I will get this degree, then my M.A. and end up working in a completely different job.

My Latest Mood: Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Brock View Post
    Summary Question: Are professor jobs likely for someone with a M.A. in History right out of college?

So, I have been trying to "research" the likelihood of getting a professor job after I get my M.A., and I am starting to wonder, is it even possible. It seems like a lot of people become adjunct professors, and their average salary is kind of...scary. I am double majoring in History & Dietetics (or Nutrition, not sure which atm), but the main reason I want a major in History is I love it, and want to teach it, but I hope to teach at somewhere besides public schools.

I went through the public school system and I do not know if I could be a teacher. The kids where dis-respectful, pay is lousy, and above all, you can't stop a student from disrupting class, except for sending him to the principal, which is just going to add to his "rep" because apparently getting sent to the principal is a good indicator of how tough you are.

Sorry for the rant, but I am terrified I will get this degree, then my M.A. and end up working in a completely different job.
    My Nephew got his degree in History, then his MA and is now working on his doctorate.. He's sharp.. will probably teach at the university level.

By the time you get to the graduate student level.. the young people WANT to learn.

No. You might get a contract position as an instructor. If you're working on a Ph.D. you'll probably be used as a Graduate Teaching Assistant. Professor, never in any traditional field. In one of the "studies", who knows.

4. Default

Well, in this economy, you'd better just forget about being a professor, even an adjunct, especially in a non-practical field like history. Currently, due to losses in their retirement (primarily due to the economy), professors are not retiring as early as they used to--they are working as long as they can. There are few job openings, and those few have a lot of applicants for a few openings.

As you know, adjuncts are slave labor. They are for people who either want a second part-time job, or have no real job prospects. If you like nutrition, etc. enough, go into it. With the diabetics in the upcoming generations, you will always have a job.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    --C. S. Lewis, God in the Dock, p. 292.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    Well, in this economy, you'd better just forget about being a professor, even an adjunct, especially in a non-practical field like history. Currently, due to losses in their retirement (primarily due to the economy), professors are not retiring as early as they used to--they are working as long as they can. There are few job openings, and those few have a lot of applicants for a few openings.

As you know, adjuncts are slave labor. They are for people who either want a second part-time job, or have no real job prospects. If you like nutrition, etc. enough, go into it. With the diabetics in the upcoming generations, you will always have a job.
    That doesn't sound positive, but truth isn't always positive in this economy lol. Thank you, and I hope someday I can teach as a professor, but I am pretty sure I will double major just to be able to get a job in the other field hopefully.
    My political pitch?
    Answer:
    I came here to do two things. Chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum. -Duke Nukem

6. Default

Add some journalism classes to your history degree. Then you will become interesting for the corporate world as a potential PR rep, and you will make a ton of money.

7. Default

That doesn't sound positive, but truth isn't always positive in this economy lol. Thank you, and I hope someday I can teach as a professor, but I am pretty sure I will double major just to be able to get a job in the other field hopefully.
    You do understand that the minimum to be a professor in the humanities is a Ph.D. M.A.s are great for adjunct positions, but to be brutally honest, M.A.s are way too common to get a professorship job.

Also, the road to professorship is not an easy one.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    You do understand that the minimum to be a professor in the humanities is a Ph.D. M.A.s are great for adjunct positions, but to be brutally honest, M.A.s are way too common to get a professorship job.

Also, the road to professorship is not an easy one.
    At most reputable schools the M.A.s that are teaching are working on their PhDs.
    I have no joy in strife,
    Peace is my great desire;
    Yet God forbid I lose my life
    Through fear to face the fire. -Henry Van Dyke

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by IgnoranceisBliss View Post
    At most reputable schools the M.A.s that are teaching are working on their PhDs.
    Yes, but they are not professors, they are instructors or teaching assistants.

10. Default

Since you are studying History, think about taking some writing courses and write History books. Dietetics might get you a job on a Disney Cruise ship. The "real world" is green...it does not burn easily.
    "If Republicans wanted to Destroy America, they would Vote Democrat."
    Coolwalker

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast