I miss Ronald Reagan and his Moral Courage

Discussion in 'United States' started by Onward James, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Onward James

Onward James New Member

2. Iriemon

Iriemon Well-Known Member Past Donor

I miss the pragmatism Reagan had which is sorely missing from today's right wing element.

Even though Reagan preached low taxes, he raised taxes numerous times when he saw his tax cuts had blown the deficit wide open.

Even though Reagan railed against Govt spending, he dramatically increased Govt spending at a time when the economy was weak.

Even though Reagan bemoaned the "evil empire" he was willing to sit down with them and work towards dramatic reductions of nuclear weapons.

Reagan is enshrined as a saint in conservative mythology, but he was pragmatic and willing to compromise for the good of the nation.

Today's right wing would have denounced the real Reagan as a traitor to the cause.

PatriotNews and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Onward James

Onward James New Member

Pragmatism is a good trait. Right-minded Reagan was also a liberal once, too; but he became wiser. Sometimes one has to please the left and centrists to get elected. And, I understand when taxes have to be reconsidered.

There are many issues I am of the centre, and others to the right, mainly to the right. Some, I am hard-right such as crime, jurisprudence and the Islamofacists. I do hope the government, the new government, after Novemeber 2012, investigate some of the Wall Street Carpet-Baggers.

4. thebrucebeat

thebrucebeat Banned

What you are admiring is what the current Republican party, at least the right wing of it, had turned its back on. They consider compromise weakness and will not support it.
    I don't think you know it, yet, but you are a Democrat.
    LOL.

5. Viv

Viv Banned by Request

I wouldn't miss him and hit the wall. I'd like to show him the results ON THE WORLD of his silly implication that credit is good and you don't need to balance the books.

The tool.

6. Onward James

Onward James New Member

I have no idea what you are trying to communicate. You are allowed more words and explanations than text-messaging.

7. Onward James

Onward James New Member

Of course, you know who I am and what I stand for. Why don't you post a manifesto of your beliefs and conservative values.

I BELIEVE IN… what the Left & most Academics vehemently disagree with… Conservatism.
    http://onwardjames.blogspot.com/2011/01/i-believe-in-what-left-most-academcs.html

8. thebrucebeat

thebrucebeat Banned

I don't know you from Adam, actually. Should I?
    A belief in compromise will not make you particularly popular in the current Republican climate, don't you agree?
    I don't think a posting of any manifesto, liberal or conservative, would have any relevance to the OP, do you?

Reagan was a moral marshmallow.

9. PatriotNews

PatriotNews Well-Known Member

10. Onward James

Onward James New Member

Moral marshmellow? Do explain?

You called me a democrat. I will refrain from repartee, because you are unaware how to riposte or deabte, it seems. You cast aspersions.

Perhaps this video is more for you, where once more Reagan held is own and countered with intelligence and humour.

Ronald Reagan more than able to counter the guest speakers of the roast.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS5CCPesv98&feature=related"]Ronald Reagan on Dean Martin Roast - YouTube[/ame]

11. thebrucebeat

thebrucebeat Banned

He was terrific in a Hollywood setting.
    He was the cut and run president in Beihrut.
    He supported democracy until it led to a communist uprising in South America, and then he helped violently to suppress democracy.
    He spearheaded secret deals to negotiate with terrorists.
    Calling you a democrat was not casting aspersions. It was a compliment. They have repeatedly tried to compromise across the aisle, but to no avail. You find compromise to be a positive characteristic. So do I.
    Welcome aboard.

12. Clint Torres

Clint Torres New Member

13. Onward James

Onward James New Member

Because there was Ronald Reagan who instilled the fear in Communists and Islamofacists that is but one of the reasons that anti-Reagan forum contributers have the freedom of speech and thought, though limited in awareness.

14. thebrucebeat

thebrucebeat Banned

Reagan used the Afghanies for his own purposes and they were left to reconstruct their country which allowed for the Mujahideen to form, the Taliban to spring out from them and create an atmosphere of hatred toward us.
    I would give Lech Walesa more credit than Reagan for the communist collapse, and the general condition of the Soviet economy the greatest tip of the hat. They were a paper tiger that was collapsing under its own weight, and would have regardless of whom was president of the US.

15. Alucard

Alucard New Member Past Donor

He did have moral courage.