Teachers need to be supported --This is disgusting.

Discussion in 'Education' started by botenth, Dec 9, 2011.

1. botenth

botenth Banned

2. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

Can't you find modern articles? that one is almost 12 yrs old.

3. Clint Torres

Clint Torres New Member

Teachers don't need anything modern, they oeprate in a system that is over 100 years old, and continue the general structures of education the same as they did 30 to 50 years ago. Some teachers are over 40 years old and it seems like they were in school just yesterday.

4. PatrickT

PatrickT Well-Known Member

When my son's history teacher told him the Holocaust never happened I didn't believe him. When my son's English teach said grammar, structure, and spelling weren't important I didn't believe her either.

And when teachers say they should not be tested for competency, should not be evaluated for performance, should not work year-round or eight-hour days, I don't believe them either. When teachers say they are not responsible for results I don't believe them.

More money, less work, and no accountability is not a slogan that will win public support.

5. Clint Torres

Clint Torres New Member

I agree with your supposition. In the USA, teachers ride the gravy train. they work about 8 months a year. Depending on the school district, they work less than 6 hours a day and teach one to two classes per day. They also let computers teach the kids and in some cases they have only 12 to 14 students in a class do deal with. It's no wonder that when kids see this, they all want to be teachers too. It's like finishing high school to go on to college and get a job with child like hours. In the USA public school Univiersity system some professors teach one class, and spend most of the time working on their hobby, with no accountability as they use the undergraduates to do all the work.

Other countries are far superior when it comes to education. The USA is plagued with a political system that has no power over the public schools, and the schools have unions to back them for what ever they need.

6. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

Evidence for that? I've not heard of any teacher who had less than a 190 day contract (9 1/2 months). I don't know of any teacher that has a contract day of less than 7 1/2 hrs. I don't know of any teachers that teach less than 5 classes a day. I taught for 8 yrs, and my wife is a school administrator. All of the above is not true for schools in Alabama, Florida or Georgia. Please show evidence that it is true in another area.

Well, actually they make the graduate students do most of the work. While the part about public schools hours is wrong, you are correct about higher education.

The real problem is that we don't have the guts to separate students based on their ability at about the 8th grade level. Our schools do fine in international comparisons up to that point. We fall after it.

7. Clint Torres

Clint Torres New Member

I can only muster as much support for teachers and people muster to support the troops.