Do Foreigners Deserve 'Free Speech' Rights?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by BringDownMugabe, Dec 13, 2011.

1. BringDownMugabe

BringDownMugabe Well-Known Member

Source

This is a horrible ruling by the US District court. These are two people who, while aren't citizens, both live and work in America legally. The decisions made by our politicians affect them just as much as they do us. Additionally, it's quite upsetting the US Supreme Court won't hear this case.

If millions are donated to campaigns by lobbyists/corporations, why can't an individual, who's affected by the politicians, donate a minuscule fraction of what the lobbyists are throwing around?

2. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

As reviewed on another thread the bigger question do foreigners think that Americans deserve free speech rights in America?

http://dailycaller.com/2011/12/13/islamic-governments-push-for-speech-curbs-in-the-us/#ixzz1gTD1Adlq

3. Bluespade

Bluespade Banned

I find lobbyist influence distasteful. But, I don't think limiting non- citizens abilities to donate to campaigns, is infringing on their ability to express free speech. If they want to become involved in our political system, they should become an American Citizen.

4. Questerr

Questerr Banned

5. Bluespade

Bluespade Banned

Truly a good point. But, since the 1st amendment applies solely to citizens, how does this apply to foreigners?

6. Professor Peabody

Professor Peabody Well-Known Member Past Donor

If your not an American citizen you have no say. If they want their voices heard, go home and holler all ya want.

7. frodly

frodly Well-Known Member

So according to our court system, corporations are people with speech rights, but foreigners aren't!! What a wonderful system we have!!

8. frodly

frodly Well-Known Member

Where is that part in the constitution?

9. Questerr

Questerr Banned

Where does the 1st Amendment say it only applies to citizens?

It doesn't. It restricts the government regardless of who it is dealing with.

10. Bluespade

Bluespade Banned

Apparently you've never read the preamble to the constitution.

You know that whole, "We the people of the United States of America".

11. frodly

frodly Well-Known Member

I still don't see it. Thanks to school house rock, and 8th grade I actually know the preamble by heart. It does not say, "we the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect Union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity(but not to dirty foreigners), do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

PS. See if you can pick out the part I added, which wasn't originally in there.

Sadanie and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Bluespade

Bluespade Banned

Pretty typical, you know picking parts of the constitution that suit your purpose. If you have a hard time comprehending what "we the people of the united sates of America" means, I see no point discussing this topic with you any further.

13. frodly

frodly Well-Known Member

You haven't actually made a point. You have said, it says "we the people" in the constitution, therefore not giving rights to foreigners is ok. That is irrational nonsense, with no basis in reason, evidence, logic, critical thinking, etc. If my unwillingness to accept that nonsense unthinkingly makes you not want to discuss this topic any further, I don't know what to tell you.