Farm work, American's don't want to do it?

Discussion in 'Labor & Employment' started by Brock, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Brock

Brock New Member

I do not understand a argument I have seen in politics, a lot.

Americans are un-willing to work in the fields?

I do not understand that, I do it, my parents did it, their parents did it, etc etc. Where does the idea that Americans do not want to do this job come from? The only reason I stopped this year was because migrant workers came and the farmer I was working for, could not hire me at the same time, because their contract did not allow it.

I do not think immigrants are wrong, they're a part of the world, I think illegal immigrants are wrong, because it is ILLEGAL. Breaking the law, is breaking the law, but I don't understand the argument that Americans are too lazy, cause I do it, and a lot of people I know do it or did it.

2. MasTequila

MasTequila New Member Past Donor

You must not be a liberal/marxist/democrat, because they are too lazy to do it.

3. PatrickT

PatrickT Well-Known Member

A friend of mine, quite liberal, was complaining about the poor people who were holding up signs at the corner because they were forced to try to work just for food. I pointed out that my friend had recently had a heart attack and just before his heart attack had had a couple of tons of gravel to be spread on his lawn for a xeroscape.

I told my friend that I would pay more $75 a day, more than minimum wage at the time to three men if he could hire them and I wagered a steak dinner. After two weeks of trying he explained that I would be amazed at the medical problems these men had. I laughed and said their medical problems were aggravated by available work. But, in short, he could not hire a single deadbeat.

There are people willing to work but the government does all it can to discourage them.

4. DeathStar

DeathStar Banned

As if Big Farm corporations would wanna let that happen. To be honest, Big Farm is more efficient than Little Farm. So really, your whole OP is ridiculous

5. danboy9787

danboy9787 New Member

Why would you want to do it when you could live at home and let the communists pay for all of your stuff.

6. Brock

Brock New Member

I have family members who own thousands of acres, their not corporations, their all owned by the family.

Since it is not a question, I won't reply.

7. Brock

Brock New Member

We have had to try to get people to work in tobbaco fields. It is really difficult. I guess people think if you work in a field, you are going to get sick or something.

8. savage-republican

savage-republican Well-Known Member

In America we have told everyone they can be rich, they have been told they are smart, that anyone can become a zillionare, so they wait around for it to happen to them. We forgot to teach our kids that hard work makes you successful.

Success is a stale finale, the struggle is the success!

9. marbro

marbro New Member

Its all about money. Right now a person could do better on welfare than work low wages on a farm.

10. Beevee

Beevee Well-Known Member Past Donor

You are certainly not a conservative because they believe they work their socks off to ensure liberals have an easy life on welfare.

11. Brock

Brock New Member

8$ a hour is above Minimum Wage

12. PatrickT

PatrickT Well-Known Member

But, the high school kids who have been detasseling corn for $10 an hour don't get welfare. Unfortunately, the government doesn't want them working.

13. danboy9787

danboy9787 New Member

10 dollars an hour is pretty (*)(*)(*)(*) good!

14. Margot

Margot Account closed, not banned

You do it? Do you really pick produce 10 hours a day as fast as you can?

15. Brock

Brock New Member

I do during the summer. Why you ask?

16. clarkatticus

clarkatticus New Member

I drag 340lb stacks of product off conveyors and onto trucks and warehouses for 8+ hours a day. Big whup. Of coarse, I am union and make $25 per and full benefits, 401K and pension. It doesn't matter what the job is, if you do it right it's going to be hard and hopefully satisfying. Oh, and in answer to your next post, we are on average twice as profitable and efficient as the non-union companies that do the same thing.

17. Brock

Brock New Member

Congratulations. I still don't understand why Americans are said not to want to work on farms. It is tough work, but it is good work, and decent pay.

18. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

In America, huge agricultural corporations mostly took over. They do not pay their common employees very much, nor treat them well, and prefer to hire Mexicans who do not speak english, hence the reason why Americans do not do these jobs.

It all started in 1934 with the Farmer's revolt, which drove many former farming families into the cities:
    http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/v...FB8XuZsw#search="farmers revolt 1932 history"

Part of this was intentional. The U.S. government wanted to increase productivity, so put taxes on family farmers to drive them out of business so the corporations could take over. Farming output might have increased, but countless decent farming jobs were also turned into bad jobs.

19. ThirdTerm

ThirdTerm Well-Known Member

77 percent of all agricultural workers in the United States are foreign-born because agricultural workers have seasonal work schedules and they are expected to work longer hours. Asian and European first-generation immigrants used to be employed in the agricultural sector but native-born Americans are generally better off than their ancestors who had no choice but to take up low-paying farm jobs. Nearly 22,000 agricultural workers are flown into the UK from Romania and Bulgaria each year under the Home Office’s Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme (SAWS) because farmers cannot find native-born Britons who are willing to do the job even among the unemployed and the American growers have been pressing Congress to relieve the labour shortage by setting up a similar scheme to import cheap labour from Mexico.

20. Middleroad

Middleroad New Member Past Donor

I dont think all americans would do farm work, I do think theres americans that would, that wont because theres no point in working for what they pay.

21. Dorkay Winthra

Dorkay Winthra New Member

the argument comes from the generic white Americans who don't want to work around too much color