Americans are the Most Generous People on Earth

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by Blackrook, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Blackrook

Blackrook Banned

In the midst of all the America-bashing on this forum it is nice to see that Americans aren't so bad after all.

It turns out we are the most generous people on Earth.

I am not surprised by this because of all Western nations, America is where Christianity is strongest.

Ireland, known for its devout Catholicism, comes in second.

All of the top countries are English-speaking, which confirms my belief in the superiority of the English-speaking people.

2. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Well-Known Member Past Donor

Though I appreciate the fact that we here in the US are so generous even when we are financially suffering, I seriously doubt that language plays a part in a country's level of generosity.

3. Daybreaker

Daybreaker Well-Known Member

Hey, all right. Nice to be at the top of a good list, for a change! :mrgreen:

4. Daybreaker

Daybreaker Well-Known Member

Well, I do think it's true that language is not just an expression of the people that speak it, but a shaper of those people as well. Our thoughts, at least the ones we can communicate, are pretty much restricted by language, mathematics and a few lucky people with some talent as poets.

Having said that, I do agree with you. I think our abundance of resources has more to do with our generosity than our language or our religion.

5. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Well-Known Member Past Donor

The American spirit is also responsible for our generosity. We show up at every disaster no matter where it takes place.

6. aussiefree2ride

aussiefree2ride New Member

Jase, I`d just like to know. Do you show up at disasters before, or after they occur? :mrgreen:

7. Dr. Righteous

Dr. Righteous Well-Known Member

It's funny that you guys complain about America's status in the world but you want to keep electing the same neo-cons and liberals to office that engage in dangerous and expensive foreign policies that cause everyone to hate us

8. ModerateG

ModerateG New Member

This might be true if Americans weren't so often greedy buttholes who refused to give other people medical care or pay slightly higher taxes.

I'd attribute the 2% to the fact that we're so wealthy and attribute that to the wealthy of this country who are buying their way to appear less greedy when they're usually not. :)

Seriously, anyone who says Americans are the most generous people on Earth are idiots.

9. Badmutha

Badmutha New Member

Well thank Conservatives........

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/03/conservatives_more_liberal_giv.html

Conservatives More Liberal Givers

• -- Although liberal families' incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs. $1,227).
    • -- Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.
    • -- Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.
    • -- Bush carried 24 of the 25 states where charitable giving was above average.
    • -- In the 10 reddest states, in which Bush got more than 60 percent majorities, the average percentage of personal income donated to charity was 3.5. Residents of the bluest states, which gave Bush less than 40 percent, donated just 1.9 percent.
    • -- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition

10. Badmutha

Badmutha New Member

Medical care isnt denied to anyone in this country.......and I would say government seizing 20-50% of one's working life represents plenty of taxation......bordering on slavery.

(*)(*)(*)(*) those evil rich people and their charitable giving......

Perhaps George Obama, brother of multi-millionaire Barack Obama, would agree with you.....but few others......

[​IMG]

11. Clint Torres

Clint Torres New Member

Not quite true.

The big money the USA gives in aid to toher countries requires some form of compensations that you are not aware of, and it is often money from private doners that are not cristan or catholic. In fact the US aid is funded by taxpayers, and religious organizations like catolicks and cristans churches and organizations do not pay income taxes, hence not american.

As far as the money US gives. It comes with conditions and other forms of access. That is how the USA inflitrates countries with private corporations. And that is how the USA is able to base military in forigen countries.

So this America charity stuff is more complex than the religious talking heads want you to believe. Or even more complex that relitious talking heads understand.

Corporations don't pay to gain access in forigen countries, they make the USA tax payer pay for it. Churches in the USA are exempt from paying tax.

Also, there have been massive corruption with charity agencies in the past. And as long as there is free money to hand out, you know greed and access to it will create corruption. After all they are human just like anyone in prison or in politics. Fact is, the private donations can't realy be accounted for, and oftentimes majority of it goes to the pockets of the preacher. Just look at the wealthy ones who sucker people into donations. The're extravagant lifestyle is beyond the norm of simple daily life.

But my hats off to them if they can manipulate the simple into giving them money for perosnal gain. After all, that is the bottom line and that is where the buck stops.

12. Subdermal

Subdermal Banned

Our lack of desire to pay higher taxes isn't due to greed - that's an idiotic position to assert. We believe that the Government is a destructive force, and will ruin healthcare for this country while simultaneously damaging our economy even more - allthewhile continuing to grow itself like a tumor.

Seems to me that the greedy ones are the one who want something for nothing.

Convince yourself however you want; that won't change.

Anyone who denies it is an idiot. Facts are not assisting you.

13. Subdermal

Subdermal Banned

Oh, it's true.

Link assistance for the OP:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204464404577116710690931258.html

Your whole rant is dismissed. The story isn't even taking into account Government aid to foreign nations. It is speaking of aid and charity given by the people themselves.