Is Racial Segregation really a human rights Violation?

Discussion in 'Human Rights' started by Anders Hoveland, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

Is racial segregation completely incompatible with human rights? Is it possible there may be forms of racial segragation that are fair, or even desirable to the majority of people within both races?

Consider that there can be different extents of racial segregation, ranging from completely voluntary on both sides, to forced separation of different ethnicities into different nations. Indeed, on several occassions both the USA and UN have actively supported national separatism along ethnic lines (Serbia, South Sudan, Ossetia).

One form of racial segregation, for example, might simply be to offer racially segregated class rooms to students, so that a student could choose either a racially-mixed class, or a class of only his own ethnicity. The degrees of voluntary choice could be variable; for example a student of a certain ethnicity might or might not be allowed into the class designated specifically for a different ethnicity. Or private employers could simply be allowed to choose who they hire, using race as a factor if they so choose.

The United Nations has supported the 'International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights'. Is it overreaching its original intentions?

There are, of course, several valid reasons people would want to be racially segregated. People generally prefer to be amongst those of their same ethnicity. And there can often be cultural frictions. Asian people often prefer to live under a stricter and more regulated society than hispanic people for example. Different ethnic groups comitt crimes at significantly different rates, which can lead to resentment from other ethnicities. Some ethnicities may simply just wish to preserve their cultural integrity and reduce the possibility of future assimilation.

While racial/ethnic segregation has historically often been used as a tool of oppression, I am just saying that the concept itself is not necessarily unfair.

2. Morzak

Morzak New Member

Yeah and as soon as a Black business owner would tell you to (*)(*)(*)(*) of because you are white the (*)(*)(*)(*)storm begins.... I

Racial Segregation is bad, as in really bad, difference in Humans are mostly caused by culture, Environment and upbringing. Racial difference on a genetic level are nearly non existent.

3. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

4. stig42

stig42 New Member

Completely voluntary segregation may not violate human rights would probably contribute to racism and xenophobia though

5. b.eastman12

b.eastman12 New Member

I believe what is being described here is called "de facto segregation," or segregation that simply occurs as a matter of fact. This sort of segregation, which occurs naturally, is in no way a violation of a human right. It is only natural for members of a minority group to stick with one another, as they share something in common that nobody else can understand. Sure, some forms of segregation are perfectly fine, like all black schools or even small things like Korean churches. It's simple, harmless, and allows minorities to connect and learn about their culture.

Of course, segregation that hinders a minorities way of life completely violates their human rights. This sort of segregation acts like a punishment to minorities. I don't think I need to go into too much detail over this, as I think it is pretty much agreed upon that harmful racial segregation is a bad thing.

So yes, overall I guess there is good and bad segregation. It would all have to depend upon the context of the situation.

6. PatrickT

PatrickT Well-Known Member

There was a wonderful Doonesbury cartoon yeats ago. The President of Walden U. if facing a group of black students.

I'm paraphrasing:
    "In 1960 if I insisted all blacks live in one dormitory, I'd be a racist."
    Chorus: "Right."
    "And now, if I don't insist all blacks live in one dormitory, I'm a racists."
    Chorus: "Right."

Once you realize that absolutely nothing you do will be right, whether it's AGW, racism, or just with your wife, you have a tendency to shrug and go on with your life, ignoring the nitwits.

7. Jonsa

Jonsa Well-Known Member Past Donor

The old notion of race is no longer valid. Genetics has proven that.

Ethnicity is something else and yes, segregation based on ethnicity is a human rights violation.

Funny, but I've always be amused by white power pinheads who but by an accident of birth to which they had nothing to do with, feel themselves to be superior to others of a different culture or skin colour.

This superior delusion is not based on merit or accomplishment. Its not earned nor purchased. I think it really must be based on deep feelings of inadequacy or inferiority - that or too much inbreeding.

We are all homo sapiens sapiens, regardless of colour, nationality or ethnicity.

8. PatrickT

PatrickT Well-Known Member

Sorry, Jonsa, but I've been disheartened, rather than amused, by the liberals who are desperate to keep racism alive, desperate to spearate Americans in to niches that can be manipulated.

I remember when it was the racists on the right who insisted that one drop of black blood made you black. Now, that's the racists on the left. It used to be the racist on the right who said that race was all that mattered. Now, it's the racists on the left. Curiously, the old racists on the right were Democrats and so are the new racists on the left. Maybe Demcorats have always been the party of division and racism, just switching sides when it was expedient.

9. BoiaChiMolla

BoiaChiMolla New Member

Its not and should be encouraged for the good of every part involved.

10. stig42

stig42 New Member

how is it for my good?

11. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

Genetics has proven just the opposite. This is a lie being spread around by progressives. The obvious existence of racial differences is apparently too inconvenient for the leftists and social progressives ideologies of "equality".

12. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

It depends what race you are.

It is not so much for the benefit of any of the people that are alive today, but rather for the benefit of future generations, that will get to be a born of a specific race and more pure heritage, and will not have to live as a minority amongst those that look different than them, and have different temperments.

13. stig42

stig42 New Member

arnt we better off bonding with peapoe we like regardlees of what we look like seems to me looking different is not a problem getting (*)(*)(*)(*) for it is

14. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

People usually bond better with other people of their same race/ethnicity, both because they look more similar, and because they tend to have more similar personalities and values.

There are plenty of arguments that can be made against interracial reproduction also, but I will not get in to that in this thread, as I do not want to derail the topic.

15. stig42

stig42 New Member

well (*)(*)(*)(*) that (*)(*)(*)(*) i dont need my friends and decent peapole and some of my extended family taken away from me to satisfy your dam stats

16. holier than thou

holier than thou New Member

I believe in freedom to not associate. Slavery is most certainly an extreme human rights violation but that's very different from segregation.

As long as people have the right to simply move away from the area where they're expected to segregate... I don't see a true human rights violation.

17. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

The problem is that certain group(s) of people try to move away, and not associate, but certain other groups of people keep following them for jobs. Whether it is "white flight", or anti-discrimination employment laws.

If all the different ethnic/racial groups had equal wealth (and an equal propensity to hold onto that wealth), I think there would be much less racial mixing, and people would naturally separate out into their respective ethnic groups, just like they do out in a prison yard.

18. fifthofnovember

fifthofnovember Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like you're saying that everyone but white people should have the right to segregate themselves. I'll bet even when white people are in the minority, you still won't think they have the right to segregate.

19. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

you can determine eye color by ones dna too.... not sure green eyes vs blue eyes makes much difference though, neither does hair color, skin color, ect...

20. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

Eye, hair, and skin color differences are very different from ethnic/racial differences. Let us try to stay on topic please.

21. Viv

Viv Banned by Request

What a load of total racist crap blatantly posted with a deliberately authoritarian air in order to imply credibility (it didn't work, stating racist-leaning comments immediately destroys credibility) (note also I did not call you a racist, but labelled the post racist crap). Hoverland, if you want to live in a drone world by all means buy an island and wall yourself in. The rest of us enjoy a bit of diversity. I can think of nothing worse than being condemned to live and mix with only one ethnicity, it would be mind bendingly boring. That way lies madness, not to mention inbreeding and stagnation of creativity.

22. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

If you feel more comfortable labeling me a "racist", feel free to use that term. The word (or a variant of it in russian) was actually invented by a Marxist Communist, who used it to describe a group of Nationalists he detested who wanted to preserve the identity of the Slavic languages and people. Trotsky eventually eventually got assasinated with an icepick (true story), and it is hard to feel sorry for him considering the complete disregard for human life in his writings. Go see the second post down:
    http://www.politicalforum.com/race-relations/232663-quotes-famous-leftists-about-race-2.html

Just do not assume I am some bad person that wants to oppress other races just because I am "racist". I just want to preserve my own ethnicity, and do not agree with some of the silly people who believe that "race does not exist".

23. Libhater

Libhater Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself darling. Have you ever interviewed people living in Harlem, Roxbury or Watts and asked them if they enjoy or would enjoy living and mixing among a multiculturalized community? No, I didn't think so. Do you think KKK members would 'enjoy a bit of diversity' by moving their families in the heart of Harlem? No, I didn't think so. Perhaps you should take a moment to 'think' before planting foot inside mouth. Isn't it just great that you can get 'diverse' opinions among the people here at this forum?

24. holier than thou

holier than thou New Member

OK, here's another "if you don't like it, leave" response. I received one of those when I started this thread, as the first response:
    http://www.city-data.com/forum/general-u-s/1460814-best-cities-european-americans-2011-a.html

Its not uncommon for people to be uneasy about demographic changes. Like the user who gave his response on that thread, you judged without having enough information (kind of like people calling George Zimmerman a racist) There have been blacks who felt discriminated against after moving into mostly white neighborhoods (whether it was real or imagined). Would you ever tell such blacks to move if they complained about being treated differently in a mostly white community? I don't think so.

When it comes to race and other social issues, individuals on the far left often times think they're perfect angels, or they strive to be. Instead, hypocrisy and double standards are more likely.

25. JohnConstantine

JohnConstantine Active Member

Let's say the rest of us, meaning those who are not xenophobic. I mean don't you ever travel, enjoy different food, music, art, women?