Words

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by PatrickT, Jan 4, 2012.

1. PatrickT

PatrickT Well-Known Member

Colorado Christian University is suing the Federal Government over insurance rules.

"LAKEWOOD, Colo. (CBS4) – Colorado Christian University in Lakewood is taking the federal government to court. The school says it’s being coerced into violating its deeply-held religious beliefs. The beliefs involve strong opposition to abortion."
    http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/01/...ity-sues-federal-government-over-health-care/

But, then CBS is in a bind because:
    "There are some 4,000 students and 500 employees associated with the university. The school offers a group health plan to its employees and students. Under a federal mandate the plan must offer contraceptives."

So, CBS is in a real bind. The Feds say the school has to offer "contraceptives" and the university says the requirement is that they offer "abortions". Which is it? Or, is CBS taking the position that an abortion is just a contraceptive.

CBS makes no attempt to clarify the issue. That would lead me to believe that, yes, the federal government considers an abortion as a contraceptive. You know, like condoms or birth control pills.

But, an alleged news organization can't address the issue. They can't say the federal government is requiring the university consider abortions as contraception and they're not saying the university is objecting to, for example, the morning-after pill which causes the abortion of a fertilized egg. Or, perhpas the university actually objects to condoms. Who knows? Well, I would think CBS knows but they're not saying.

So, we have a news organization that is, because of their political beliefs, refusing to tell us what the news might be.

But, this same news organization won't hesitate to pontificate and bloviate on the coming election and do everything possible so they can cheer, "We won, we won," if President Obama gets re-elected.

And then there is ABC in Detroit who bravely reported a gang is targetting elderly citizens for home invasions. The mother of Detroit's NAACP president was a victim. The gang has named itself SYN which is, as ABC tells us, an acronym. The intrepid reporters then tell us that SYN is an acronym for Scandalous Young and then a word that starts with N and is consider a racial slur. Aha! Negroes. It's negroes. No, no, it's nappy-headed. That's the slur that Don Imus fell over. Oh, the wonderful News Media Word Game. So, we have a news outlet who, because of either fear of retaliation or slavish adherance to politically correct rules refusing to actually say what the gang has named themselves.

Okay, I can figure out the word but the news media can't bring themselves to say it. I wonder if it's just the word or is ABC terrified that saying the gang might be composed of, you know, the word we dare not speak, would be grounds for complaints against the news outlet or even a lawsuit.

How can we debate when we can't even talk?