There is no evidence for the existence or non-existence of God...

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Daggdag, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Daggdag

Daggdag Well-Known Member

This is a thread aimed at both religious people and non-religious people, particularly athiests.

I would like to say that religious is something that is based completely on a person's faith. It has nothing to do with scientific evidence or research. Because God, and I am using the word as a general meaning for all gods and not any one particular god, exists outside of the realm of science, science can not be used to prove that he does not exist. At the same time, a person;s faith is not proof that he does exist.

God's existence relies completely on what each person believes and can not be proven nor disproven, because any evidence either way would not be taken seriously because of the preexisting notions that a person has about god.

2. Incorporeal

Incorporeal Well-Known Member

Well stated opinion.. now what is the aim of the thread?

3. Daggdag

Daggdag Well-Known Member

To end all the endless exiostence of god threads......it cant be proven one way or another so debate is meaningless

4. Incorporeal

Incorporeal Well-Known Member

Good luck on that one. Even if this religious segment of PF were maintained as one that was only allowed to discuss scripture (not the existence of God), there would be some that would introduce argumentation from a science point of view which would set the stage for argumentation of 'the Existence of God'. I don't think you will have much difficulty in identifying who that detractors would be.

5. prospect

prospect New Member

That would take a miracle in itself.... :)

6. Panzerkampfwagen

Panzerkampfwagen New Member

If something has no logical evidence to support it then it can be safely ignored.

7. FreeWare

FreeWare Active Member Past Donor

.. which even religious people know perfecly well, except in one single circumstance, - which they then try hard to make unsafe for others to ignore.

8. Anobsitar

Anobsitar Banned

The question is "Why is not only nothing existing?" - so we are ourselve somehow the result of a not existing nothing. Meaningless or not - we have to ask - otherwise I'm sure we would drive crazy. We like to know where we are coming from and why we are here. A question in this context could be for example: "Why was everything created here since the beginning and why is a way of a completly planless evolution able to introduce living structures with self-awareness into our 'what for heavens sake is "what"'-universe?" If we like to ask for a detail then a variation of our questions could for example also be "Why are 'Thomaner' singing since 800 years?". We are human beings if we are asking and if we are answering and we will stop to be human beings if we don't like any longer to ask for the realities and/or causes of our transzendental world.

http://youtu.be/EMkc81fbl8g

9. prospect

prospect New Member

I disagree.. Evidence doesn't have to be logical..

What about all unexplained phenomena ? Well I suppose it can be safely ignored, I mean, there is no reason to try an figure those things out, huh ?

10. Panzerkampfwagen

Is there something about the term unexplained that you're finding hard to understand? Unexplained is not evidence of god, it's evidence for we don't know wtf that is.

But sure, go with the god of the gap as evidence. That just gives my side a good laugh.

11. prospect

prospect New Member

I never said it was evidence of God. You said "If something has no logical evidence" which I find amusing since that seems to only apply to God when you say so.

Go ahead and laugh...

12. Anobsitar

Anobsitar Banned

What do you see if you make a hole in the armor of your tank? An arrow flying into your eye?

http://youtu.be/sRdz5aTPzGI

13. Panzerkampfwagen

Oh, so I'm only applying that to your god am I?

Lame dude, very lame.

14. FreeWare

FreeWare Active Member Past Donor

Two comments. Saying that something for which there is no evidence can be ignored does not entail an obligation to ignore it. Furthermore, ignoring something does not really mean to ignore it as the something it may be, but since there is no evidence to support any explanation of it, any claim of such can be ignored.

For example, if you claim that your god is an explanation of how a Mother Mary statue cries blood then the lack of evidential support for your explanation justifies an immediate rejection of it. It doesn't mean that the phenomenon should be ignored. On the contrary, the hoax should be revealed ;)

15. prospect

prospect New Member

Let's clear something up ...

You said - "If something has no logical evidence to support it then it can be safely ignored."

and I equated "something" to 'unexplained Phenomena', not God..

What you should have said, was - "if 'God' has no logical evidence to support it then it can be safely ignored." Because that is precisely what you had in mind when you wrote that statement..

What I found amusing was 'your' statement landing right after freeware's comment,

lol You see the irony here ?

16. Fatihah

Fatihah Banned

Response: God's existence relies on commom sense and basic science. The universe and life itself is proof that it originated from intelligent design. One example is the fact that the human beings are intelligent. Therefore, if human beings are intelligent, that would clearly mean that we originated from intelligent design. To say otherwise would mean that unintelligence created intelligence, which is clearly irrational because by definition.....it's unintelligent.

The proof that the universe comes from intelligent design comes from the same common sense and basic science. For order and repeated patterns can not come from unintelligence. This can be proven scientifically. If you were to try to create just a simple painting without using your intelligence, the result would be a complete mess. It's no way to splatter paint on the wall and the end result be a beutiful self-portrait. No. It would just be a picture of disorder and paint splatter. Similarly, the order in the universe, the constellation of stars, etc,. could not possibly happen by chance. Thus the proof of God can be proven scientifically. It is rather the theories of evolution and others similar to it that is completely unscientific and based on faith. Even the atheist who are reading this response as we speak and believe in the theory of evolution or natural selection as fact, when asked for proof that such is true, I can guarantee that the response is based on "because a science book says so". In other words, faith, while the evidence I provided that God exist, no religious book was mentioned. So it's not faith, but a fact proven by science that God exist.

17. Panzerkampfwagen

Yawn. Try again. You're making baseless assumptions with no evidence, just wishful thinking. Safely ignored.

18. Fatihah

Fatihah Banned

Response: Try again. As your rebuttal once again neither addresss or refutes anything mentioned. Safely debunked.

19. Felicity

Felicity Well-Known Member Past Donor

Only if you have no curiosity and are content with ignorance of what is the actual truth of the matter.

But see there? There you begin with the premise it is false--you presume it is a hoax before investigation-- and so even in that regard (even though it may be actually false) you taint your inquiry with bias rather than maintaining "scientific" objectivity.

20. Panzerkampfwagen

There was nothing to refute. You made baseless claims.

Try reading science for once.

21. prospect

prospect New Member

Freeware, I'm not quite sure what you mean in the above quote But this,

I agree with completely ...

22. Panzerkampfwagen

If you claim that invisible pink faeries control the temperature and offer no evidence then I can ignore your explanation on how the temperature is controlled. I'm not rejected that temperature exists, just your baseless explanation.

Anyone can come up with an "explanation" for anything, but the fact that they believe it is not evidence at all that it actually explains it.

23. Fatihah

Fatihah Banned

Response: Then by your own account, there was nothing baseless, because as you say, there was nothing to refute. Thus you've done nothing but support the fact that my argument is correct. Thanks for the clarification. Try using common sense for once, rather than believing in false science and absurd claims like there is no God.

Incorporeal and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Felicity

Felicity Well-Known Member Past Donor

Believers in God look at the SAME evidence as non-believers--ALL THAT IS evidences God, just as the atheist will claim all that is evidences something they don't know, but presume no God. Any honest person recognizes they HAVE to be agnostic at the core. Otherwise they are liars relying on bad "science" or bad "faith."

Fatihah and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Panzerkampfwagen

You didn't understand a word I said.