How could you want a centrally planned/command economy?

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by DeathStar, Jan 9, 2012.

1. DeathStar

DeathStar Banned

How could you advocate a centrally planned/command economy? Capitalism avoids the failures of such systems because of this simple phenomenon:

In capitalism, people imagine what others want and how to make it, as efficiently (in terms of time, physical resources etc.) as possible. If they succeed in predicting what certain targeted people want and will buy, and the product was made non-costly enough, then other people will either do the same or try to improve upon it.

In centrally planned/command economies, a group of tyrants assumes what all people want, and also assume that everyone wants the same thing. If it's a system where everyone always gets paid no matter what, there is little incentive to be productive and prosperity will be low. If it's a system where people are forced to work, then 1. they won't be as actually productive because they'd be producing products that are one-size-fits-all, and 2. that'd be slavery.

Capitalism allows for VARIETY because it knows that different people want different things, so, different businesses target different people. Centrally planned/command economies do not.

Lastly, capitalism awards people in relation to their productivity, centrally planned/command economies do not.

So my question is, how could you support a centrally planned/command economy?

2. DeathStar

DeathStar Banned

If anyone does support a planned/command economy, explain why.

3. Iriemon

Iriemon Well-Known Member Past Donor

Isn't presenting the choice between laissez-faire capitalism and a centrally planned economy a false dichotomy?

You can have a system of Govt involvement in the economy or in parts of the economy somewhere between unfetter lassez-faire capitalism and a centrally planned economy.

4. DeathStar

DeathStar Banned

I didn't say that anarcho-capitalism is the only alternative to a centrally commanded/planned economy.

5. akphidelt2007

akphidelt2007 New Member Past Donor

Because the average person is dumb and does things that are harmful to the economy. And when the collective group of idiots reacts the same way than you have disastrous results. Central planning allows idiots to make idiotic choices because it provides a more preferable counteraction.

I don't get why people believe life is so great with out some sort of central planning.

6. Iriemon

Iriemon Well-Known Member Past Donor

That's fine, you and I agree that having Govt involvement in certain components of the economy makes sense.

But who supports a completely centrally planned economy? Maybe you'll find a couple communists in the forum who thinks that is a good idea.

7. DeathStar

DeathStar Banned

Maybe for Law, but not very much else.

8. fiddlerdave

fiddlerdave Well-Known Member Past Donor

Maybe because China is kicking our butt, taking over industry after industry and gutting our economy?

9. DeathStar

DeathStar Banned

They're doing that because their people work for peanuts so our employers give them all the jobs that we once had. Not because of being a centrally planned economy (which they aren't)

10. dairyair

dairyair Well-Known Member

Not saying I support it, but I have a question.
    If the economy is controlled by money. And the money is controlled by the fed reserve. And the fed reserve is a central planner, controller, commander.
    Then by definition, isn't our economy centrally planned? Conntrolled? Command?

11. Daybreaker

Daybreaker Well-Known Member

Some degree of central planning seems like a good idea. Not a large degree. Just some.

I think this small amount of central planning should be done by someone (someones?) not motivated by profit, though.

12. DeathStar

DeathStar Banned

How so exactly?

13. Daybreaker

Daybreaker Well-Known Member

There are some aspects of the economy that become institutional, which I'm generally against allowing in the first place. But when it's one of those parts of the economy where a lot of peoples' lives come to depend on it (like basic food) or where national security is an issue (the arms industry or maybe software), then I think it's reasonable to have a plan in place that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with profit-motive, but rather with determining what's best for the people of the country.

No industry should be dominated by central-planning, but some aspects of some industries do need it, I think.

14. DeathStar

DeathStar Banned

Everything has a profit motive, even things that are funded by taxation. The people who receive the tax money have an incentive to receive more of it because people are greedy.

15. SkullKrusher

SkullKrusher Banned

I would hope that such a command economy would provide a base level income for all people beginning at birth. It would be in the range of $6000 per year. Not enough to really be very comfortable if one opts not to work at all, but enough to keep some people from abject poverty. The base level sustained living income could be issued as vouchers which have restrictions on purchase of alcohol, tobacco, illegal drugs, and firearms.

Those in higher income ranges, can opt to not receive the voucher, and instead deduct it from their tax obligation. Minors under age of 18 would have voucher held in account by social worker, who parents would consult to access account if desired, to benefit minor. If minor becomes homeless, social worker could issue the voucher as some kind of temporary help until minor reaches age of 18 and can then receive voucher as adult.

This would be paid for with a 10% National Sales Tax on American made products, and 15% on non American made products. High end luxury items like large ships, gas guzzling Hummers, etc would be 20% for American made and 30% for imports.

16. JME

JME New Member

You erroneous assume that Obama is a mere mortal. Obama knows what works and what doesn't better than some invisible hand.