Gun Related Deaths In America 2012

Discussion in 'Gun Control' started by Makedde, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

I'm compiling a list of all the people killed by firearms in the US this year,
    2012. I want to see how many people (innocent or otherwise) die by guns in one single year in America. Its to further strengthen my argument that guns should be illegal, or at least heaviliy restricted.

If anyone has anymore to add, please post them.

I'll start with this one:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/terminally-ill-woman-watches-husband-kills-sisters-son-sheriff-article-1.1004361

Such a petty dispute and now four people are dead. A terminally ill woman has lost her husband and carer. How confused she must feel. I do wonder if there hadn't been earlier arguments about this. It sounds rather ridiculous that someone would kill three people, then himself just because he wanted his wife to have a piece of fruit.
    At the same time, if he was her full time carer, he should decide what meals she has - no one else.

Initial reports that said that Mrs. Gilkey was shot were wrong, and the report was modified.

2. Hate_bs

Hate_bs New Member

You point is moot to me. You have no say in my laws on US soil. Buh bye.

3. drj90210

drj90210 Active Member

What a coincidence! I am actually putting together a list of people who have died by aspirating/choking on food in one single year in America. I'm doing this to further strengthen my argument that solid food should be illegal, or at least heavily restricted. :roll:

4. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Well-Known Member Past Donor

Mak, why the interest in only US firearms deaths? Aren't there deaths caused by firearms in Australia and I'd reckon nearly every other country in the world.

drj90210 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Panzerkampfwagen

Panzerkampfwagen New Member

Yeah, but if we put each firearm death in a new post for Australia and only firearms deaths each post the thread would actually take a while to get locked.

6. ian

ian New Member

If pro gun wackos are over represented in choking deaths then we are on a roll.

7. Iolo

Iolo Well-Known Member Past Donor

It comes from being perpetually indignant about the modern world and the people in it. When saved by being slapped on the back, they shoot their saviours.

8. Leo2

Leo2 Well-Known Member

Mak, I will save you the trouble. There are approximately 30,000 gun related deaths - people dying from gunshot wounds caused by intentional homicide, accidents, and suicide, reported in the US every year.

Your thread will be an unconscionably lengthy one if each incident is to be represented. I think there is a 500 post limit on threads, so you would not get past .016 of the incidence. :mrgreen:

Leave our trans-Atlantic cousins to their guns, and be grateful that we live in a different sort of society. To each his own. :)

9. MisLed

MisLed New Member

If you're gettting your information from anti gun groups then those stats are going to be manipulated. In the past they've listed gang related deaths in the 'children dying from gun incidents'. That's a tad dishonest in my opinion. You never hear anything about how many lives are saved by the target victim having a weapon or in the cases of these young people having guns and potentially saving their own lives. It's amazing to me that the citizens of other countries would willingly give up their god given rights to protect their own lives and property.

In the initial post you never mentioned whether the shooter had a registered weapon or if he was a concealed carry owner. In other words...where did the gun come from?

10. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

It will be about 30,000 over the year if you count suicides.

The killing wasn't about the fruit. It was probably the last straw after months of stressful existence.

Also, the husband shouldn't have been allowed guns by law. He was a convicted murderer. He had been convicted of murder in 1974 and assault in 1986. Had the criminal justice system not been so lenient, he should have been in prison.

From your quoted article (page 2):

11. Bondo

Bondo Well-Known Member

Ayuh,... This thread looks like a Liberal Progressive circle jerk,...

Complete with erroneous info...:omg: Who'da thunk....

12. Wolverine

Wolverine New Member Past Donor

Yes, guns should be banned for the misuse of less than 1%.

13. Chariot

Chariot Banned

The opinions of foreign anti-gun lunatics holds no water here in America so you are wasting your time.

14. Wolverine

Wolverine New Member Past Donor

Um.... Makkede is far from lunacy.

Just sayin'.

15. Chariot

Chariot Banned

Anyone who wants to ban guns is a lunatic.

16. Leo2

Leo2 Well-Known Member

LOL! We are not 'here in America'. We are all in cyber space and on an international discussion board. So I expect everyone's opinion to be judged upon whether it is logical and reasoned, not upon his citizenship. No reasoned discussion is a waste of time. Knee jerk reactions are. :mrgreen:

17. drj90210

drj90210 Active Member

??? Not sure what you mean by this. You are not focusing on my concern of the thousands of aspiration/choking deaths that plague this great country of ours. There is nowhere in the Constitution that states that we have a right to eat chewy steaks, bony fish, and hard candies like Jawbreakers. Such food items are the assault weapons of the culinary world and should rightly be banned.

Anyone who disagrees is clearly a right-wing anarchist with no compassion for his fellow man/woman. I hope I have convinced some of you to stop the madness and join me and my "Puree-only" crusade.

18. Beevee

Beevee Well-Known Member Past Donor

But I bet you believe your country has every right to police the world.

19. Beevee

What a good idea. It's a very altruistic view you have to ensure your countrymen and women stay healthy.

Alcoholic beverage is much better for the palate as the overweighted plates cannot take care of the masses.

20. LoneStrSt8

LoneStrSt8 New Member Past Donor

No one has ever been killed by a firearm....

21. Barry Badrinath

Barry Badrinath New Member

Sign me up!!!! I want to do it for the children!!!!!

My grandfather.........was lost................i'm sorry......was lost to a overdone piece of flank steak........he was a good mad that didn't deserve that, I will stand and fight with you so that many lives my be spared the heart ache of death by solid foods....

drj90210 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Hate_bs

Hate_bs New Member

Let me check what I believe.

I cheked with myself and your wrong.

You loose that bet.

23. Beevee

I doubt it.

24. SpotsCat

SpotsCat New Member Past Donor

According to the Center for Disease Control - National Vital Statistics Report for 2007 (most recent one I can find), there were 12,652 people killed in the United States as a result of "Assault (Homicide) - Discharge of Firearm".

That's pretty horrible if you think about it - over 12,000 people murdered in the United States in 2007 by a firearm. That works out to over 34 people per day killed by firearms.

But...

There were 43,945 people killed in motor vehicle accidents in the United States in 2007 - over 120 per day!

Your sister is 3.5 times more likely to be killed in an motor vehicle accident during her visit here than to be shot.

Just out of curiousity, Mak --

How many people do you think die annually from eating fried red meat, and deep-fat fried potatoes? How many people do you think die as a result of a high-fat, high-sodium diet? How many people die from the complications of diabetes due to their consumption of excessive amounts of sugared water? How many people die from alcoholism? How many people die from lung cancer due to smoking tobacco?

In all honestly Makedde, I sorta admire your desire to stop needless violence as a result of firearms. However, IMHO - there are things out there that are far more deadly than a firearm. And while most people recognize the danger that firearms pose, I believe that these items are not only cause more deaths, but they are worse because they are more insidious - BigMacs and Cokes probably kill more people annually than bullets.

25. Silverhair

Silverhair New Member

About half of the gun murder victims could be saved if we would quite the "War on Drugs". Over half of all murder victims are themselves involved in crime. Drug dealers can't use the courts and laws to settle disputes over territories and deals so they resort to violence, often gun violence. Legalize drugs and most crime, including gun crime, would vanish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.