Smartie's BBQ Bar & Grill #32

Discussion in 'Member Casual Chat' started by Smartmouthwoman, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smartmouthwoman

Smartmouthwoman Bless your heart Past Donor

Come on in and take a load off, folks -- life's too short to argue politics all the time so no political wrangling allowed here! Live entertainment, free drinks & an endless jukebox... can't beat that deal!!!

Gonna do a little tour of BBQ joints this time around. I'll start with some Texas classics... then let's see what you got!

Mmmmmm, BBQ. This is how we do it in Texas: Salt Lick BBQ, Driftwood, TX

[​IMG]

Review: The Salt Lick BBQ is a legendary barbecue restaurant that has reduced two of my family members to tears. Over the years, the Lick has become a Hill Country tourist attraction, but it’s still hard to beat their family-style dinner ($18.95 per person) – all you can eat platters of bronzed pork ribs, luscious brisket and taut pork sausage. Be sure to request refills of burnt ends, the prized outside pieces of brisket that are caramelized and chewy from smoke-buffeted sauce applications. Dinner comes with helpings of German potato salad (with mustard and onions), cole slaw (with celery seed), pinto beans and white bread. Slather on The Salt Lick’s classic vinegar and mustard-based barbecue sauce, or a habanero version that’s a lighter shade of orange, with more kick.

[​IMG]

Beverage anyone?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. gypzy

gypzy New Member

Woot!

I smelled that way -> -> over there! :)

And I recognize that pit right off!

I used to live about 7 mins from the Salt Lick. It's an Austin signature restaurant.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAtmhPUAg4U"]Good time for this one...[/ame]

3. Smartmouthwoman

City Market – Luling, TX

[​IMG]

Review: Up the road in Lockhart, you’ll find mammoth barbecue barns selling many more meats and sides, but none can match the simple perfection of City Market. The menu couldn’t be simpler: beef brisket, pork ribs, and hot sausage links. The pit man lifts the lid to reveal a smoker full of perfect house-made sausage links. Experts carve ribs and brisket on the wood block. It would be a mistake not to order pork ribs, brisket and sausage links, the holy trinity of central Texas barbecue. Ribs and links get no better, and the brisket, with its nice outer char, certainly holds its own. The ribs have an unbeatable caramelized crust, which lock in the essential juices of the pork. The link features a coarse texture and an unrivaled peppery kick. An old hot sauce bottle housed a sensational burnt-orange barbecue sauce that nearly matched the zing of its previous tenant.

Louie Mueller Barbecue- Taylor, TX

[​IMG]

Review: American Airlines Flight 1182 from LAX to Austin might as well be called the Brisket Express. Every spring, my father, brother and I meet at the Bergstrom baggage claim and quickly turn to the most important matter in any trip with a barbecue bent: where to eat first. In 2007, we already planned to end our weekend planned to end our weekend at The Salt Lick, so we needed an equally formidable launching pad. Louie Mueller Barbecue has been “a Texas tradition since 1949” and ensconced in its current location since 1959. Louie passed away in 1992, but son Bobby has done wonders to further his father’s legacy. He revealed the meats are smoked for 6-8 hours using oak, depending on the cut of meat. Brisket is nice and juicy, with at least a quarter-inch smoke ring and a caramelized exterior. Pork ribs are bronzed and peppery, with an addictive chew. Course sausage links have a nice kick and are pleasantly greasy, with taut skins.

4. Smartmouthwoman

Black's Barbecue - Lockhart, TX

[​IMG]

Review: The oldest barbecue house in Texas that’s been continually operated by the same family dates to 1932. As in most central Texas barbecue establishments, smokers are accessed using a weighted pully system. Here, the black smokers are housed in red brick. A pit man wields a cleaver and a knife. On our visit, we scored a sausage link, brisket, pork ribs and pork loin, along with a dish of the house barbecue sauce. The sausage was coarse and peppery and the brisket was slightly fatty, but that translated into unbelievable flavor and fork tenderness. The pork ribs had a nice chew to them, and the pork loin, available only on weekends, had a gamy tenderness.

Thanks, Josh -- great tour! ;)

Top 5 Texas Hill Country Barbecue Joints

5. Smartmouthwoman

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY"]The BBQ Song[/ame]

6. Smartmouthwoman

*throws sawdust on floor*

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsZL10oxPwY"]It's Only Make Believe[/ame]

7. gypzy

gypzy New Member

I have also dined here. Yummmm. IMHO, City Market is much better than the Salt Lick.
    City Market is very traditional, the real deal. Salt Lick is bbq tweaked, unique, Austintascious.

8. gypzy

gypzy New Member

*sets peanuts out*.....*cracks two - pops in mouth - tosses shells on floor* ​

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPNVii9wRU0"]*kicks juker*[/ame]

9. Smartmouthwoman

LUV IT!!!

Also never heard it! Where do you come up with this stuff, Gypz??? :-D

10. old timer

old timer New Member Past Donor

This is how we do it out here in the wild wild west.

[​IMG]

11. mothersuperiormary

mothersuperiormary Active Member

OMG, that all looks so good, Smarty, I think I gained 10lbs just looking at the pictures! :drool:

Yeehaw, let's have some barbecue!

12. Foolardi

Foolardi Well-Known Member Past Donor

Goodness Gracious I split for a few and a new Joint.
    Or pop stand.What would happen if I decided to run off to
    Burma for a spell.
    Don't answer dat.Everyone would be posting with Grass skirts on.

13. gypzy

gypzy New Member

I never heard your bbq song before either but i grinned all the way through :-D bbq is not a verb, it's not a grill....yup! lol

14. SpotsCat

SpotsCat New Member Past Donor

Smartie's BBQ eh? :)

I've only experienced two kinds of BBQ in Texas - good and GREAT! I've honestly come to believe that there is no such thing in Texas as bad BBQ - it simply doesn't exist!

Soulman's and Rudy's around the DFW Metroplex, Cole's down in Fairfield, Cooper's in Junction, Jerry Mikeska in Columbus, the legendary Kreuz Market in Lockhart - thousands of good BBQ joints in the Lone Star State!

Personally, I almost hate going into the area around Orange, Texas. Walk into a restaurant, and they're usually a mix of Gulf Coast seafood, and Texas BBQ - which makes for some interesting dinner combinations! A shrimp po-boy and a brisket plate. A burnt-ends sandwich, and the fried oyster platter. I hate going there, because I usually eat waaaaaay too much, and end up poppin' Alka-Seltzer the rest of the day or night!

Anyway, how 'bout a song?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqz876VkwwY]Mess Around[/ame]

Ah you can talk about the pit,
    barbecue.
    The band was jumpin',
    the people too!

15. gypzy

gypzy New Member

rudy! rudy! rudy!
    one of the best bbq sauces 'round!
    *slurp*

Here's another: Stubb's. Lotta history with ole Stubbs!

16. submarinepainter

submarinepainter Well-Known Member Past Donor

I likes me some BBQ!!!!

17. Smartmouthwoman

Details, OT... we need details. Are those whole pork roasts? Where's the ribs & sausage?? IOW, the rest of the pig???

Oh yeah, good morning! Cold & windy in Big D this morning. 32 degrees, 30 mph wind gusts. This time tomorrow, I'm gonna be all snug in my bed... but today, I'm in my work place, with a bright smiling face. (yeah, right)

coffee... needs more coffee...

18. Smartmouthwoman

Amen to that, SC! Even those lil shacks on the side of the road turn out some good 'Q!

Nice to see ya, sweetie. They been keeping you busy, have they?

19. Shangrila

Shangrila staff Past Donor

Goooood morning.
    Yup, you guys did it. I am sitting here smiling at my screen and drooling like a well trained pup. Mentioning TX bbq does that to me.
    Ok, that's it. Making it a screen saver.

20. cenydd

cenydd Well-Known Member Past Donor

I'm not much of a bbq person, to be honest - most of the food normally just tastes either burnt, raw or both to me! The only time I usually ever bother with one at all is at a festival, and then because it's the only way of cooking, and they are only the crappy little disposable rubbish ones:
    [​IMG]

21. liberalminority

liberalminority Well-Known Member

nice idea for a bar, bbq is good and mix it with alcohol makes it better

22. Smartmouthwoman

Not sure what the guy's been cookin, but whatever it was turned his hair purple. :omg:

23. Falena

Falena Cherry Bomb Staff Member Past Donor

Do not mess with women from Texas and expecially at Walmart.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYnJ5PhVoMw&feature=related"]Texas woman chases down Walmart beer thieves - YouTube[/ame]

24. old timer

old timer New Member Past Donor

How about a belated good morning folks. As it got down to 15 below zero this morning ( -24 at the park ) I just pulled the covers over my head and went back to sleep. But any how, out here we even grill breakfast out side. So how about a bbq breakfast this morning. Have a great day all.

[​IMG]

gypzy and (deleted member) like this.
  25. mothersuperiormary

mothersuperiormary Active Member

OT, when I was a young(er) girl, my grandparents would take us all out to a state park to cook breakfast over an open fire. It was always the best bacon and eggs ever!

Here's something to go with those eggs! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.