"Catholics Come Home" TV Ads Run in all American Markets

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Blackrook, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Blackrook

Blackrook Banned

http://www.catholicscomehome.org/

The Catholic Church hasn't done much about it as Catholics drift away from the Church.

It is now estimated that only 33% of Catholics go to weekly Mass.

Now the "Catholics Come Home" organization seeks to reverse the trend.

These ads are not run by the Catholic Church but by an organization that is run by laymen.

As a Catholic, I am pleased to see this effort.

What remains a frustration to me is the Church's own passive attitude in the face of this crisis.

So laymen have to step in and do the job while the bishops and priests allow things to fall apart.

2. Smartmouthwoman

Smartmouthwoman Bless your heart Past Donor

I'm not a Catholic, but I like the ads, too. About time we started urging folks to do something positive for a change.

3. saintmichaeldefendthem

saintmichaeldefendthem New Member Past Donor

Yes, I'm very heartened by this effort. One confession and holy Mass is all it takes to restore a lapsed Catholic to full fellowship. We're asking all our brothers and sisters to come home.

4. Blackrook

Blackrook Banned

Some Catholics can't come back.

Patricia Heaton ("Everyone Loves Raymond" and "The Middle") still considers herself Catholic, but goes to Protestant services. She is divorced and remarried so she can't receive the sacraments.

I understand the Church's position on divorce but it leads to harsh results.

5. Smartmouthwoman

Smartmouthwoman Bless your heart Past Donor

I know members of the Church of Christ who're in the same position. Divorced without the church's sanction. I'm not sure their church is as strict with all members, but these two were higher-ups in the church... where divorce was REALLY a no-no!

You're right... it's harsh.

6. Blackrook

Blackrook Banned

The ad where people are watching a movie of their life really got to me.

It reminded me of things I have done that I am ashamed of. I would not like to watch it all again in a movie.

Yes, all the stuff you've done really matters.

All the promises you broke.

All the people you hurt.

All the selfish choices you've made.

It all matters.

The further you stray from God, the worse it gets -- and at the same time the more you are unaware of what you are doing.

7. MrConservative

MrConservative Well-Known Member

33% is horrible. That means 67% of Catholics are living in a state of mortal sin.

I have heard of Catholics come home, but has anyone ever heard of the Catholicism series by Fr. Robert Baron that came out on PBS a while back? I saw a few short videos, and read the book, and I must say it's absolutely breathtaking!

http://www.catholicismseries.com/

8. Mehmet

Mehmet New Member

with the birth ratio and the growth speed,
    islam is expected to be the no:1 religion in the world in 2025.

9. Anobsitar

Anobsitar Banned

I'm also remarried - the king of Spain - a man I'm admiring very much because he had saved the democrazy in Spain - is remarried - our president in Germany is a remarried catholic and so on and so on - so what? It was one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life to marry again. Little piece of bread on Sunday or marriage? The price is okay. I can live without friends.

By the way: Only 10-15% of the Catholics in Germany are visiting church service on Sunday. And lots of this visitors here in our area don't go to the communion any longer. In 1950 it were 50% who had visited church services. Times are changing. Good luck.

http://youtu.be/WmxXwAgkhWQ

10. Felicity

Felicity Well-Known Member Past Donor

One can petition for an annulment.

http://www.americancatholic.org/newsletters/cu/ac1002.asp

Quite often, the issue is just a matter of form.

For example. My husband was baptized Catholic, and I converted before we decided to marry--however, I fell away for a period of years. We were married by a judge outside a church. Technically, I could appeal for an annulment on the grounds of improper form, and I would have been granted that. Instead, when I figured out that I was not married appropriately in the eyes of the Church, I sought something called a "con-validation"--which is often referred to as "getting your marriage blessed." It wasn't a big deal, but it rectified the illicit nature (in the eyes of the Church) of my marriage, and now, it would be very difficult for me to receive an annulment if I would want to seek one because I entered into this marriage fully informed and with full consent.

Each case is different because individuals are different.

BTW-- I LOVE those ads!

11. Anobsitar

Anobsitar Banned

Anullmnent is in my eyes only a lazy sophisticism - another word for the same thing. So don't worry. I don't fear that you are not able to explain to Jesus Christ what you had done on what reasons and I don't fear that he will not understand you.

http://youtu.be/ZgJB8PKXEkA

12. Mehmet

Mehmet New Member

sure, we will all see about that at the judgement day.
    before Allah.

and say no to bigotry.
    join the unbiased side of discussion.

i gave you u.n. numbers. so your numbers are merely
    your concern, thus just a theory on paper satisfying your
    manipulative views...

u.n. = united nations.
    visit their webpage at http://www.un.org/en/

13. OverDrive

OverDrive Well-Known Member Past Donor

The hidden exodus: Catholics becoming Protestants

Any other institution that lost one-third of its members would want to know why
    Apr. 18, 2011
    By Thomas Reese

http://ncronline.org/news/hidden-exodus-catholics-becoming-protestants

The bolded text relates to my leaving Catholic doctrine behind me....

14. OverDrive

I dont post to Roman Catholics (yes, I included the word "Roman', as I'm 'catholic' in the definition as being part of the universal body of Christ) to bash them , but to help 'open their eyes' to the liberty that Paul talked about in Christ Jesus! We are NOT NT Jews in religious rituals & OT Laws, but are free to worship under the unction of the Holy Spirit. We do not follow mortal men, but the Son of Man, now the Son of God sitting at the Father's right hand. Men put other men into bondage and subjection...I am only a slave (voluntarily submitting to) & a servant to Jesus Christ. I follow His words and not the doctrines of mortal men, which can also change (including 'interpretation') at any time.

I just want all believers to be 'free' and dont care about denominational labels, etc. No so-called 'protestant' churches have it all together either! But not letting 'sin consciousness' rule one's life makes one free to follow the Spirit of God: "Where we were once sinners who could do righteous deeds, we are now practicers of righteousness who still can sin."

Again, I dont care where a Christian desires to practice their faith; but I feel set free--not to sin---but to practice the righteousness of God as led by the word of God and His Holy Spirit. Your Brother in Christ, OD

15. Felicity

I'd be more concerned with my own moral state if I were you (not to mention your possible failure to be understood).

My reason was obedience.

16. Felicity

Marriage is a covenant. Covenants are indissoluble.

17. OverDrive

I would like to add one thing and to encourage those who are Roman Catholic:

I've been to several non-denominational churches that were pastored by former denominational protestants. And I have heard the same words: "Catholics make good charismatics."

Now for those who dont know what the word 'charismatic' means , let me give a brief definition: Charismatic believers are 'open' to the Gifts of the Holy Spirit, as available TODAY to the Church."

Now let me qualify what 'charismatic Christianity' is and what it is not: It is being open to the gifts and moving of the Holy Spirit as one ministers in life---it is not a 'circus' (ref church of Corinth) of hype, or the futility of men's minds in trying to mimic or force God to work as men demand of Him! I believe that most 'modern' charismatic churches have gone off the rails, many with good intentions, but still the vanity of men's minds.

I have 'worked' in the gifts, but not as "I will," but as the situation of ministering the word of God did bolster my words at those times---the gifts are not a switch that can be turned On or Off by the will of man!

Now I said all that to go back to my orig point---"Catholics make good charismatic's."

Being "raised Catholic" (I put that in for St. Mike) I have always had a 'sense of God." Particularly, when I was 'Confirmed' by the Bishop who laid hands on me and 'commissioned me as a soldier of Christ in His army." I was 10 YO and definetlly felt 'something' (a lifting of my spirit) at that time, which I experienced again later in life as an adult (another story).

But those who are 'raised Catholic' do have that sense of God in their lives and are open to spiritual things; and therefore are also open to 'more' of what God may have for them. In fact I have come across several Roman Catholic churches that had 'separate' charismatic services.

I encourage those sincere Catholics to be open (not putting God in a box) to what God may have for them in their lives...

18. Felicity

A Caqtholic with a full-ish understanding of what his Church teaches would say to that, that you have it backward.

The problem is, there are a lot of badly catechized Catholics who don't even know what they don't know about their "Faith."

...and, as a sincere and devout practicing Catholic, I would encourage you to think about returning to the Church of your youth, and recognize the difference between what some people practice, and what the Church actually teaches. I think it is you who are putting "the Catholic Church" in a box that results from your experience with individuals you have known personally. The Church is far greater than the people in it--it is a Mystical Body that consists of the Church Triumphant (those in heaven), the Church Suffering (those in transition via Purgatory), and the Church Militant (those Baptized Christians here passing through this life on earth)--all with Christ Jesus as the High Priest.

Peace be with you!

19. Anansi the Spider

Anansi the Spider Well-Known Member

20. Anobsitar

Anobsitar Banned

Sorry, Bwana.

http://youtu.be/queDnG9ZeNk

21. OverDrive

As usual, Felicity, I appreciate not only your postings, but the spirit (attitude) that you have behind them in meaning well.

But I truly feel that I have been set free of the bondages of man (Catholic or Protestant), having the Word of God as my source and His Holy Spirit (who is not only our Comforter but the Teacher who leads us into all righteousness) in 'keeping' me in the faith. It is not a denomination that 'saves' one but their faith in & following the words of Jesus the Christ, who is called the Word of God..

But I thank you and do appreciate the kind words....OD

22. Felicity

23. gamewell45

gamewell45 Well-Known Member Past Donor

The church is losing on average approximately 1,000 members per week world wide.

They need to work on their image, scandals involving Priests, the split between those opposed to Vatican II, and other issues driving many away from the church.

24. Felicity

Well, you're welcome--they are meant in a kind spirit. I am concerned, however, that you misunderstand what the Church teaches. She would agree that it is not a denomination that saves, but rather Jesus. The issue is whether one follows Jesus as Jesus wants, or as the individual prefers it to be. There is "truth" out there--and "the truth will set you free."

The thing is, we also know that "the church is the pillar and foundation of truth."

Without the church, one is adrift--the Holy Spirit guides the church to all truth. It is easy to mistake evil for good in this confusing world for "no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light."

Be well.

25. OverDrive

Thx, and you too. But also consider separate from the doctrines of men, whether I am right in my decision as well....truth doeth prevail eventually..