Bible verses that Christians ignore

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by dreadpiratejaymo, Jan 22, 2012.

1. dreadpiratejaymo

dreadpiratejaymo New Member

I was thinking about this and figured a list was needed. Maybe a few chrisitans can come in here and discuss why these verses from the most perfect book ever written are ignored by many.

Some of these will be silly, some would be illegal. Others would just make the life of chrisitans much harder. Since a lot of chrisitans say the rules of the new testament supercede that of the old, I'll focus on the new testament in this first post.

Men shouldn't cover their head when they pray; women should.

Women shouldn't wear jewelry or try to be attractive.

So if you divorce your wife for any reason other than adultery, she can't remarry without being adulterous. Of course, in (Mark 10:11) and (Luke 16:18), Jesus condemns all divorces without exception.

Forsake your family, get something 100 times better in heaven! This sounds a lot like the whole 72 virgins thing to me, except you get 28 more.

It is not ok to take on oath, though it happens quite frequently in the OT, and the angles in revelations swear by god.

See they couldn't even finish the book without breaking their own laws!

2. Bishadi

Bishadi Banned

dont forget MAtt 16

15He saith to them, `And ye -- who do ye say me to be?'

16and Simon Peter answering said, `Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.'

17And Jesus answering said to him, `Happy art thou, Simon Bar-Jona, because flesh and blood did not reveal [it] to thee, but my Father who is in the heavens.

18`And I also say to thee, that thou art a rock, and upon this rock I will build my assembly, and gates of Hades shall not prevail against it;

19and I will give to thee the keys of the reign of the heavens, and whatever thou mayest bind upon the earth shall be having been bound in the heavens, and whatever thou mayest loose upon the earth shall be having been loosed in the heavens.'

20 Then did he charge his disciples that they may say to no one that he is Jesus the Christ

3. Margot

Margot Account closed, not banned

It is not ok to take on oath, though it happens quite frequently in the OT, and the angles in revelations swear by god.

See they couldn't even finish the book without breaking their own laws![/QUOTE]

If you go with honest intellectual inquiry are these scriptures applicable in the modern age?

4. Neutral

Neutral New Member Past Donor

If you go with honest intellectual inquiry are these scriptures applicable in the modern age?[/QUOTE]

Did you expect honesty from this common tactic?

All this is, is a collection of trite from soem random atheist web site that is supposed to make an atheist appear knowledgeable about our faith - a blatant appeal to authority (yet notice how they skip over Jesus again?) - when the reality is its just a chep rip off of someone else's proximity search.

It lazy and mean spirited. But its supposed to fool people into a sense of expertise rather than trolling.

People who have actually read the Bible know ignorance and deliberate provocation when they see it.

5. Tram Law

Tram Law Banned

Mathew 6:5

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

In other words, don't be an attention whore and keep your religion private and to yourselves.

6. Neutral

Is that the only Bible verse about prayer? I wonder why there are differences and what context would make them important?

Indeed, when David dances publically and others are ashamed of his overt display of love for God - it is THEY, not David, who are chastized.

I wonder if you, appearing to be ANOTHER expert, would care to offer up some contextual commentary about these differences and why context and situational understanding are important - as opposed to hard and fast slavish devotion to rules? (A concept that is specifically addresses and admonished in the Bible).

Well, are you an expert? Or another faux expert?

7. Margot

Perhaps there is a middle ground between public display and private faith.

8. Neutral

Not for those who use the deliberate twisting and non-contextual citation of someone else's faith in public there is not.

Guys like DP have no problem making faith a public issue so long as they bash it. However, when you correct it? Well, not you are violating the Constitution, secularism, and fousting your beliefs on them.

Sometimes its best just to call a spade a spade.

9. Tram Law

Tram Law Banned

I'm more of an expert than you are, since all you ever want to do is play games and twist other people's words to suit your own religious agenda.

Why don't you explain why people ignore this verse?

Is it because all religious people feel like they're so special they can do anything they want to? That' they're just so much better than everybody else because they serve a higher power, they are a part of a higher power, and therefore are a higher power in and of themselves never to be questioned, never to be mocked, and to always be obeyed to the letter of the law?

I suspect so.

10. Neutral

They don't, they put it in context.

the admonition is not to avoid public praise of God - it is to avoid pride, and using a public display of faith to cover a lack of true faith.

An admonition against pride? well, perhaps you can take a stab at explaining your first line when you have offered no further explanation?

Indeed, why are you hurling accusations when someone rebuts you?

Why are you hurling accusations when someone points out that problem that many atheists, who know next to nothing about the teaching of Christ or the lessons of the Bible, use non-contextual 'quotes' to try to demonstrate faux authority of a religion ... just so they can bash it.

And in every instance, the atheists doing so, make asses out of themselves by revealing that they are ignorant to those who have read the Bible and are at least attempting to understand its intent.

Christians do not have a problem with accountability. Atheists seem to have a lot of problems with it.

11. prospect

prospect New Member

Paul said "Judge for yourselves." ...and I don't have a problem with either case. This wasn't a command, it was a suggestion of the time. Welcome to 2012.

This is also way outta wac. It isn't that they shouldn't wear Jewelry or try to be attractive but rather that the inner beauty is what is important. Go read the whole thing next time.

Problem ?

I guess that Jesus shouldn't have put any perspective on this at all,huh ? I suppose that as long as you write a farewell letter,all is well. :bored:
    Yes, Jesus tightened up that law because these men would dump their wives for any old reason and this was destructive with or without paper.

Another one flew over the cuckoo's nest. I'd actually explain this if it wasn't a waste of time.

12. Chance the Gardener

Chance the Gardener New Member

John 11:41-42
    "Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead man [Lazarus] was lying. And Jesus lifted up His eyes and said, 'Father, I thank you that You have heard Me. And I know that You always hear Me, but because of the people who are standing by I said this, that they may believe You sent me.'"

Public prayer is as biblical as going in to one's prayer closet.

The OP is pretty lengthy, perhaps the pirate can start us off with a smaller bite?

13. Margot

Did you expect honesty from this common tactic?

All this is, is a collection of trite from soem random atheist web site that is supposed to make an atheist appear knowledgeable about our faith - a blatant appeal to authority (yet notice how they skip over Jesus again?) - when the reality is its just a chep rip off of someone else's proximity search.

It lazy and mean spirited. But its supposed to fool people into a sense of expertise rather than trolling.

People who have actually read the Bible know ignorance and deliberate provocation when they see it.[/QUOTE]

Read the OP.. I didn't write that..................

14. prospect

prospect New Member

You and Neutral got mixed up with the quote function, it happens...

I expected more from 'dreadpiratejaymo' but I suppose everyone has their moods.

15. MisLed

MisLed New Member

\

I'm starting to think you guys co-ordinate these attacks.

Trinnity and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Margot

\

I'm starting to think you guys co-ordinate these attacks.[/QUOTE]

I SCREWED UP THE QUOTE FUNCTION..

17. driller80545

driller80545 New Member

How about this one: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    You know, the one that they booed at the SC debates.

18. Daggdag

Daggdag Well-Known Member

See they couldn't even finish the book without breaking their own laws![/QUOTE]

The part about woman covering their heads is from the old legend that angels come down to earth and fall in love with human women. It's also the reason Muslims women wear burkas

19. Anobsitar

Anobsitar Banned

We get 28 more virgins in heaven? Wonderful. I always knew we are the best.

http://youtu.be/fikiBFT1jTo

20. MisLed

MisLed New Member

3Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, 4And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation. 5For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: 6Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: 7But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

2Peter 3: 3=

21. MisLed

MisLed New Member

Ecclesiastes 10:2

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

:-D

22. OverDrive

OverDrive Well-Known Member Past Donor

So instead of calling ppl 'right-wingers,' we shud in fact call them 'right-hearters..! As God, in His wisdom, 'appears' to be one of them...

23. MisLed

MisLed New Member

Romans 1:22-

22Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

23And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

24Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

25Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

26For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

28And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

29Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

30Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

31Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

32Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

24. dreadpiratejaymo

dreadpiratejaymo New Member

That is my point. Christians pick and choose what they want to believe based on how modern society feels with little regard to the meaning of the words contained within a perfect book.

25. prospect

prospect New Member

Not all people.

Jesus had two commands for us,thus the rest would follow. This isn't a difficult message but there are many hypocrites in the world.