Scots Begin Struggle For Independence:

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by janpor, Jan 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janpor

janpor Well-Known Member

First of all, it appears a very busy days on matters of current affairs: USA presidential primaries, protests in Romania, France's François Hollande media blitz, Davos, economic reports, pending national strike in Belgium, Davos, etc...

And now the Scots!

Scots Begin Bid for Vote on Independence

By JOHN F. BURNS and ALAN COWELL

However, it is fundamental for Scotland to be able to break out of the claws of the English, that they dump the Pound Sterling. How on Earth do they expect to be independent when their monetary policy is going to be determined in London -- which is entirely focused to pander to the interests of The City? Indeed, the idea alone is uttery bizarre...

For Scotland to be truely independent she needs to adopt the Euro -- besides the EU will settle for nothing less. No Eurozone-membership means no European Union membership. The Euro will give Scotland a real opportunity to continue to develop and build-out her economy in a sustainable and responsible way so that it doesn't become a financial dependcy of the English!

Go Scotland!

2. raymondo

raymondo Banned

Interesting to see where the struggle actually is .Or what it is !!
    London is completely relaxed and the Scots will make the decision that suits the majority .
    I guess the OP has forgotten what productive democracy feels like , given the recent tragic happenings in Belgium plus its insolvency . A very worrying time for a small country without a sail and rudder and even close to civil war

3. janpor

janpor Well-Known Member

LOL!

Belgium is not Phantasialand. :twocents:

4. marbro

marbro New Member

I couldnt resist:ignore:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3oz0zhEwZk"]Braveheart Speech (HD) - YouTube[/ame]

But seriously I wish the best to the Scots in their quest to break from dependency. Independence is a difficult road for any people. I am confident they can do it!

5. Beevee

Beevee Well-Known Member Past Donor

Belgium isn't anything. Which is why it was given the dubious task of hosting the EU headquarters there. The government of Belgium realised it was the only way the capital and that country would ever be remembered for anything.

6. raymondo

raymondo Banned

And then Rumpy Pumpy came along which reduced every one to laughter .
    He has to be a Walloon .

7. Viv

Viv Banned by Request

You really should have tried harder to resist.

Janpor, why are you so obsessed with the EU? Scotland will have to do whatever is more economically expedient, as any other country would. There is no guarantee we will even be allowed to use the GBP or the Euro, one or two are already playing funny buggers about it.

Oh wait. Would it still be labelled the GBP? Would GB still be GB and what of the P? :-D:trout:

8. Beevee

Have you considered the ramifications of crossing the border into England and the likelihood of the equivalent of the TSA manhandling you? Or the monetary charges levelled to cross the border after England has engineered the dismissal of Scotland from the EU.

The customs duties? The need for a new passport? The refusal to allow transport into England without a certificate of competence, only available at a cost of £S100?

And everything else?

Oooh! I don't envy you.

9. Viv

Viv Banned by Request

You are so at it. Why would I ever cross the border? Are you not getting this, Beever? We want to saw a big feckin gully wider than the Great Glen and heave to.

If I didn't have to work with English folks, I would certainly never be
    interested in going there. However, we have heard of border control. We even maintain it here, just other countries do. It's not a new thing.

10. Beevee

Because you will find that you cannot live in a vacuum.

And you actually admit it in the following paragraph.
    So, the seed is sown. It can be an independent Scotland, but it won't be at your price, just your cost.

11. Albert Di Salvo

Albert Di Salvo New Member

I like traveling to England. So many graves of imperialists upon which to urinate. The last time I was there the bobbies frog marched me out of Winchester Abbey after I did my business.

12. diamond lil

diamond lil Well-Known Member

Scotland won't vote for independence and Alex Salmond knows it, which is why he's faffing about.

13. raymondo

raymondo Banned

The problem with your grubby fantasy Post is that Winchester does not have an Abbey .
    Pull your socks up Bertie .

14. Viv

Viv Banned by Request

In the past, I would have said you are probably right. But things have changed. People used to vote one way in the national election and still vote Labour or Lib in the UK election, because they saw it as a wasted vote. The last time they didn't. The SNP vote was overwhelming.

I don't think you can call it until the vote is in this time. Salmond could make a fatal error (God forbid) or Cameron could continue to shoot himself in the foot and force fence sitters to vote SNP. It could go either way.

15. Viv

Viv Banned by Request

Hahaha...you do know 750000 or is it 75000000000 public servants will be ejected from the status quo later this year by the UK "Government", which is happy to move those hard working people from public service onto benefits to give the impression of saving money? I definitely won't escape that and there will be no work for anyone with all those educated folks on the job market. Whatever happens, I am setting up my own business within the next two years.

Fortunately I have a hard working husband, a brother who is a captain of industry and has been plaguing me to go back into business with him.. and a couple of uni degrees at my back, so I'm not terribly worried regarding how to survive. But it is certainly not a reason to vote UK in the referendum. Far from it. I imagine anyone setting up in business would be delighted to escape the UK and see a possible shake up are restructuring of the little Hitlers who create the red tape bureaucracy UK has allowed to strangle economic initiative out of existence.

16. tamora

tamora New Member

Wherever they frogmarched you from, I don't suppose they frogmarched you straight onto a plane out of the country?

17. tamora

tamora New Member

That wasn't necessarily an endorsement of the SNP's plan to separate from the UK. It might have been an understandable anti-Labour vote.

18. diamond lil

Mainly because Labour became massively unpopular.

A vote for the SNP was not necessarily a vote for independence.

I think you're air wishing there. All the polls taken so far show Scots want to remain part of the UK.

19. diamond lil

No, I should think he woke up before that happened.

20. Viv

Viv Banned by Request

Might have. But I don't think so. They voted Salmond into power in the previous election. That experiment proved beneficial. I think they voted SNP, not anti Labour. Though Labour is as useful as an ash tray on a motor bike.

As above.

Objectively, more likely to be for than against however, as really the only aim of the SNP is independence and the vote was greater than it was ever thought a vote could possibly be, under this electoral system.

I'd take it as a bit of a pointer, at the very least.

Not all the polls have in fact shown that. It is no indication in any case. No one expected people to vote SNP en masse.

I think the Devo Max question is crucial. I think people would vote for that, but as a means of a measured and controlled move into independence rather than a shocking uncontrolled and possibly too far too fast tip straight into it.

He will never wake up. Will you Al? Al. AL

21. Albert Di Salvo

What's the name of that Abbey across the Thames from Parliament? You know the one with Kitchener's and Cromwell's bones?

22. Albert Di Salvo

Nope. I know people who work in the City. They took responsibility for me.

23. Viv

Viv Banned by Request

Do you mean Westminster? There's bits of Cromwell lying about all over the place. They dug him up and stuck his head on a pole for 20 years, then...

24. Albert Di Salvo

Yes, thank you.

25. Beevee

Come on Viv! I know I'm out of touch, but not that much out of touch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.