National Minorities in EE Countries

Discussion in 'Russia & Eastern Europe' started by frozy, Jan 30, 2012.

1. frozy

frozy New Member

To what extent a national minority is respectfully and fairly treated in EE?

2. raymondo

raymondo Banned

Perhaps you should tell us your experiences , I live in one of the biggest EU countries --- in terms of contributions and returns( much less) , so I have no direct experience .
    Is it coincidence that the smaller EU countries essentially were the first to get into a mess --- the three Baltic States , Southern Ireland , Cyprus , Belgium and even Portugal ? Or were there other factors ?

3. frozy

frozy New Member

Bosnia and Herzegovina established the Council of National minorities in 2008.
    Also, B&H has adopted State and Entity level laws on the protection of persons belonging to national minorities, which counts in 17 legally recognized national minorities, of which Roma are the largest. (In previous mandate, representative of Roma national minority was a President of the Council itself).
    People mostly got assimilated into everyday life, since we're speaking about communities being present for more than 100 years in the country and generally when it comes to most of them, there are no larger issues when it comes to their rights except the fact that in recent years national minorities could not enter governing bodies such as presidency and parliament. however, 2 persons belonging to NM (Roma and Jewish NM) denounced the state to the Court for Human Rights- for not allowing NM in participation in presidency and parliament. After the last formation of government, minorities did enter council of ministers, i.e parliament but when it comes to presidency consisted of representatives of 3 constitutional ethnicity (read: yes we have 3 presidents)-we didn't solve that issue still.

Edit: so unless we change the constitution, we're likely to get 4th president ^^