Teacher On Leave For Telling Class White Students Easier To Teach Than Poor Blacks...

Discussion in 'Race Relations' started by DonGlock26, Jan 31, 2012.

1. DonGlock26

DonGlock26 New Member Past Donor

Teacher Accused Of Racial Discrimination On Paid Leave

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – A St. Paul teacher is on paid leave after being accused of racial discrimination in his own classroom.

Parents of some black students said their children have faced discrimination for months at the Heights Community School.

Latasha Tolbert said sixth grade teacher Tim Olmsted told her daughter that she’d be standing on the corner with a sign begging for money on the expressway.

“He told the whole entire class that it is easier for him to teach rich white folks than poor black people,” Tolbert said.

Tolbert said the discrimination started in her daughter’s class months ago. At the time, five of the students in Olmsted’s class were black. Tolbert said all of them were singled out at some point for the color of their skin.

Meg Kane is an education attorney representing three of the families involved. She said none of the kids have been in trouble at school before.

The children told Kane that all of them had to sit at the back of the class. Kane said Olmsted called them “fat, black and stupid,” and said such things as: “You will never amount to anything” and “You only have one parent.”

Kane said Olmsted was denigrating those students, not teaching them. She has sent a demand letter to the school district asking for Olmsted and the principal to be fired. If nothing is done in 10 days, she says she will file a complaint in state court.

Tolbert said she took her concerns to the principal more than a dozen times, but nothing changed. So she moved her daughter into another class.

She says the district needs to deal with diversity, and she wants her daughter’s former teacher to leave.

“There’s no need for you to even work with children, because color is everywhere,” Tolbert said. “It’s everywhere.”

A district spokesperson said Olmsted has been on paid leave for more than two weeks while the St. Paul School District investigates. The district’s spokesperson said because the incident is a personnel matter, it can’t comment any further.

Olmsted did not immediately return WCCO-TV’s phone calls.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/...cused-of-racial-discrimination-on-paid-leave/

LOL! This guy is going to be thrown into the volcano to quiet the PC gods. I wonder, if he really said half of that stuff?

Is an "education attorney" a type of non-bony predatory fish that feeds on schools?

_

2. Silkheat

Silkheat New Member

With apologies to Jesse Jackson....

3. Irishman

Irishman Well-Known Member Past Donor

For some reason my BS alarm goes off big time reading this story. I wonder what the other teachers have to say about it, classrooms are close and word spreads around, I am sure if the teacher was that racists he wouldn't have been able to hold his sentiments to himself all the time.

Also, there must have been a reason the principle did not take action. They are very aware that their jobs are on the line too if they don't take action in situations like that, so the fact that the principle did nothing also throws up a red flag to me.

4. kenrichaed

kenrichaed Banned

Well there are always 2 sides to every arguement so we'll have to wait and see. In my experience though it seems that the more blatant the racist claims the less truth they seem to hold. Seems more likely that the Black families are misinterpreting something and trying to milk the State for some easy money.

5. Goldwater

Goldwater Well-Known Member Past Donor

It is easier for teachers to teach rich folks than poor people. Nobody would argue with that.

But the teacher was too stupid to say it that way, and we don't need stupid teachers teaching our kids.

perdidochas and (deleted member) like this.
  6. DonGlock26

DonGlock26 New Member Past Donor

A sage post.

_

7. TheLastBoyScout

TheLastBoyScout New Member

Well, they do have a few witnesses they could ask.

.....and I think they would do that before taking punitive actions......but I won't make assumptions. Perhaps they are employing no common sense at all in handling this.

8. kenrichaed

kenrichaed Banned

Yep just gotta wait for it to play out. If he's guilty then by all means take appropriate action but don't assume he is until the investigation is done. Have Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton organized their usual march against the school yet?

9. Bluespade

Bluespade Banned

If this did indeed happen, I don't see why on earth a teacher would mention this too students.

10. Irishman

Indeed they will sort it out. What worries me about this situation is even if it isn't true and the morons in the black community get a hold of it it won't matter. They will cry and stomp their feet around, picket and go to the press until "something" is done.

11. The Mello Guy

The Mello Guy Well-Known Member

righties want teachers saying this kind of (*)(*)(*)(*) to our kids???

12. Irishman

We don't know if it's true or not yet Mello. Those lines seem awfully rehearsed, don't you think? "sit at the back of the classroom," give me a break.

13. Bluespade

Bluespade Banned

And the partisan circle jerk starts in,

14. playmakers

playmakers Banned

coming from a white people, this is very standard.

15. The Mello Guy

we dont know if its true but we start a thread jumping to the teachers defense?

16. The Mello Guy

so for the record, if the teacher DID say those things, you support throwing him into the pc volcano?

17. playmakers

playmakers Banned

white people are very talented in saying catchy racist phrases like this.

18. Brewskier

Brewskier Well-Known Member

Right, because waiting for more evidence to present itself before condemning someone is automatically "jumping to the teachers (sic) defense". :roll:

19. The Mello Guy

is that what you call this?

20. Brewskier

As the OJ case demonstrated, blacks don't need evidence to make decisions.... just an allegation of racism.

21. CoolWalker

CoolWalker New Member

It's cultural...blacks are by and large an "oral society", always telling stories etc. Whites on the other hand read more. That is why on tests whites do better for the most part. Were tests to be given orally, both parties would be pretty much equal. I come by this information through the mouth of my wife, who is a Gifted Resource Teacher and headed into her final year for her Doctorate. As weird as it may sound, yes, I live with a liberal teacher...you should hear the arguments at the supper table over politics. I'm sure my daughters are going to grow up majorly confused (even though I'm right...lol).

This teacher was given leave with pay and with that said, there is probably nothing going on other than disgruntled students, otherwise his leave would have been without pay.

22. The Mello Guy

im confused, I know plenty of blacks who think OJ is guilty.....

sorry, does RW racism require suspending reality?

23. Brewskier

Oh, are they female? Do they think Nicole had it coming for being with a black man?

24. The Mello Guy

well someone is projecting

25. Brewskier

Nope. I need to find an article about a teacher's urban classroom and the high percentage of black teenage girls who were sympathetic with OJ and thought Nicole had it coming.