"Handguns have no sporting purpose"

Discussion in 'Gun Control' started by Wolverine, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Wolverine

Wolverine New Member Past Donor

I have heard that argument quite a few times, and I offer my typical rebuttal citing the many revolvers that are sold as hunting arms.

However I found this very interesting, this man kills a bulls elk with a .45 Glock at close range. Very interesting. I wouldn't mind trying it myself.... however I do not believe the .45ACP meets the requirements in Colorado, nor would I be allowed to wear a full suit of camouflage like in the video below. So I suppose if the semi-automatic is powerful enough, I guess you can take big game with a typical pistol.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr2IG6t85Jg"]GLOCK Hunting - Big Game with a GLOCK. - Keith Warren - YouTube[/ame]

2. LoneStrSt8

LoneStrSt8 New Member Past Donor

I notice that the Thompson contender has a barrel in .45ACP,wonder if anyone uses that for hunting?

3. SpotsCat

SpotsCat New Member Past Donor

I've seen some .44 Magnum revolvers with a scope mounted on them that the owners claimed they used for hunting.

Personally, I wouldn't want to try - I'd think the risk of wounding the animal is too high, and I figure I owe it to the animal to kill it as quickly and humanely as possible.

4. LoneStrSt8

LoneStrSt8 New Member Past Donor

There was an ad years ago in the gun magazines that told of a man hunting in Alaska who stepped away from his rifle just as a grizzly charged into his camp...He had a 44 on his hip and he drew,fired and hit the bear between the eyes,,,,they even had a picture of him next to this monster bear

5. Bondo

Bondo Well-Known Member

Ayuh,.... The .44 magnum can be loaded to 1500fps,...
    Even factory rounds,..
    Shootin' a 240gr. bullet 'n sighted for 0 at 50 yards, the drop is only 2" at 100 yards...

It's more than enough gun for east coast whitetails, 'n black bear.....

I've got a Magnum Research, Desert Eagle with a red-dot on it...
    9 rounds in a pie plate at 100 yards is pretty easy....

6. emptystringer

emptystringer Active Member Donor

I used to deer hunt ,with my Dan Wesson 41.mag with a 8 3/8th barrel. I have taken two deer with this gun. Never shot at a deer over 30yds. The key to hunting with a handgun is the same as hunting with a bow. You have to get close,no lobbing shots on a wing and a prayer.

7. Hate_bs

Hate_bs New Member

Don't forget the fear mongering 'guns are only meant to kill' which I have heard a 1000x.

8. hiimjered

hiimjered Well-Known Member Past Donor

I recently read a great article about long-range pistol shooting. Very impressive stuff there - including a couple of examples of hunting at range. I'll see if I can dig it up.

9. fifthofnovember

fifthofnovember Well-Known Member

Whether or not handguns are for sporting is irrelevant politically. The second amendment doesn't say (*)(*)(*)(*) about sporting. Sporting uses for guns are a red herring used to turn a right into a game.

10. Clint Torres

Clint Torres New Member

Sport competition is most proven with handguns.

In the olympics the Country with the most handguns does not even place in the top ten.

Hell countries like Kazikstan and India rank hinger in Air pistol competition than the USA. And they have gun control laws.

However, the countries of the once powerfull USSR still rank in the top ten.

There are massive sport competition for pistols in the world. Check out the ISSP.

11. Clint Torres

Clint Torres New Member

Also the problem the USA has with handguns/pistols is. Fools in the USA can't shoot worh a dam.

12. Archer0915

Archer0915 New Member

I want to disagree so bad but - well, I can not disagree. I have seen plenty that could not print at 20 yards:(

Now as to the OP. My scoped Ruger 454 will take anything but a Polar bear in this hemisphere. I can shoot the (*)(*)(*)(*) thing too.

13. SpotsCat

SpotsCat New Member Past Donor

Go watch a paintball game/war sometime, and you'll notice two things about the vast majority of the players --

1) Most of them couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at 25 yards.

2) They go through ammunition like it was nothing.

Watch a paintball contest and you can instantly tell the players who shoot a gun like it's a Hollywood movie, and the players who learned to shoot because of serving in the military. There's a HUGE difference in their tactics!

14. Archer0915

Archer0915 New Member

Hey I was giving the benefit of the doubt:-D

15. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

It's just like bowhunting (as the other poster says). Handgun hunting is for people who are willing to get closer to the animals. It's not for shooting animals across a canyon. It's for getting within 50 yards or so. I have a handgun chambered for the .30-30 rifle round. If I were still deer hunting, I would have no hesitation using it for up to about 75 yd shots (a .30-30 rifle I'd feel ok with up to about 100 yrd shots).