+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Handguns have no sporting purpose"

1. Default "Handguns have no sporting purpose"

I have heard that argument quite a few times, and I offer my typical rebuttal citing the many revolvers that are sold as hunting arms.

However I found this very interesting, this man kills a bulls elk with a .45 Glock at close range. Very interesting. I wouldn't mind trying it myself.... however I do not believe the .45ACP meets the requirements in Colorado, nor would I be allowed to wear a full suit of camouflage like in the video below. So I suppose if the semi-automatic is powerful enough, I guess you can take big game with a typical pistol.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr2IG6t85Jg"]GLOCK Hunting - Big Game with a GLOCK. - Keith Warren - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by Wolverine; Feb 03 2012 at 08:21 AM.
    There is no love in Fear.

Feminism is pretty much an all whites club pretending to be concerned with equal rights of racial minorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    I have heard that argument quite a few times, and I offer my typical rebuttal citing the many revolvers that are sold as hunting arms.

However I found this very interesting, this man kills a bulls elk with a .45 Glock at close range. Very interesting. I wouldn't mind trying it myself.... however I do not believe the .45ACP meets the requirements in Colorado, nor would I be allowed to wear a full suit of camouflage like in the video below. So I suppose if the semi-automatic is powerful enough, I guess you can take big game with a typical pistol.

GLOCK Hunting - Big Game with a GLOCK. - Keith Warren - YouTube
    I notice that the Thompson contender has a barrel in .45ACP,wonder if anyone uses that for hunting?
    Out to the road,out 'neath the stars,feelin' the breeze,passing the cars.....

I've seen some .44 Magnum revolvers with a scope mounted on them that the owners claimed they used for hunting.

Personally, I wouldn't want to try - I'd think the risk of wounding the animal is too high, and I figure I owe it to the animal to kill it as quickly and humanely as possible.
    SpotsCat is a trademark of SpotsCat Intergalactic Enterprises LLC, All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized use of the exceptionally witty material contained herein shall be prostituted to the fullest extent. Trespassers will be shot. No glass bottles in the pool area. Brush your teeth and wear clean underwear.

Quote Originally Posted by SpotsCat View Post
    I've seen some .44 Magnum revolvers with a scope mounted on them that the owners claimed they used for hunting.

Personally, I wouldn't want to try - I'd think the risk of wounding the animal is too high, and I figure I owe it to the animal to kill it as quickly and humanely as possible.
    There was an ad years ago in the gun magazines that told of a man hunting in Alaska who stepped away from his rifle just as a grizzly charged into his camp...He had a 44 on his hip and he drew,fired and hit the bear between the eyes,,,,they even had a picture of him next to this monster bear
    Out to the road,out 'neath the stars,feelin' the breeze,passing the cars.....

Ayuh,.... The .44 magnum can be loaded to 1500fps,...
    Even factory rounds,..
    Shootin' a 240gr. bullet 'n sighted for 0 at 50 yards, the drop is only 2" at 100 yards...

It's more than enough gun for east coast whitetails, 'n black bear.....

I've got a Magnum Research, Desert Eagle with a red-dot on it...
    9 rounds in a pie plate at 100 yards is pretty easy....

I used to deer hunt ,with my Dan Wesson 41.mag with a 8 3/8th barrel. I have taken two deer with this gun. Never shot at a deer over 30yds. The key to hunting with a handgun is the same as hunting with a bow. You have to get close,no lobbing shots on a wing and a prayer.
    "Chance favors a prepared mind"

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post

GLOCK Hunting - Big Game with a GLOCK. - Keith Warren - YouTube
    Don't forget the fear mongering 'guns are only meant to kill' which I have heard a 1000x.

8. Default

I recently read a great article about long-range pistol shooting. Very impressive stuff there - including a couple of examples of hunting at range. I'll see if I can dig it up.
    TANSTAAFL

Whether or not handguns are for sporting is irrelevant politically. The second amendment doesn't say (*)(*)(*)(*) about sporting. Sporting uses for guns are a red herring used to turn a right into a game.
    I think gay marriage should be between a man and a woman - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Don't blame me - I voted for Kodos.

Sport competition is most proven with handguns.

In the olympics the Country with the most handguns does not even place in the top ten.

Hell countries like Kazikstan and India rank hinger in Air pistol competition than the USA. And they have gun control laws.

However, the countries of the once powerfull USSR still rank in the top ten.

There are massive sport competition for pistols in the world. Check out the ISSP.

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast