The Falklands - Who should own these godforsaken islands?

Discussion in 'Latest US & World News' started by Hendrix, Feb 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hendrix

Hendrix Banned

It is almost 30 years since 700 Argentinians and 300 British troops died for the sake of the political careers of their prospective leaders.

Now as the tensions are rising once again.

Who do you think has the greater claim on the rocky islands of sheep and 3000 residents?

2. Hendrix

Hendrix Banned

Just see if anyone is interested this time. HA HA.

3. Sokkos

Sokkos New Member

Neither - the Falkland Islanders own their islands. Both Britain and Argentina should respect that and stop fighting over them. It is all to do with the black gold in the Falkland seas.

4. Zook

Zook New Member

I don't believe any country has the right to own islands thousands of miles away from their shores. How would Britain like it if some foreign country from thousands of miles away came over to the Isle of Wright and laid claim to it? I know it's not the same thing, but Argentina have their independence now and deserve the Falkland Isla... sorry, I mean The Malvinas.

5. Colonel K

Colonel K Well-Known Member

Places like Hawaii?

Doug_yvr and (deleted member) like this.
  6. texmaster

texmaster Banned

LOL Owned.

The UK should continue to own them as they have for decades.

7. raymondo

raymondo Banned

Well , if it's not the same thing , why mention it? It should be Gadzooks !!!!!

When you have little better to do , read the history .
    It is an incredible and complex story .
    But one thing is for sure , Argentina's claim to those rocks is as far fetched as America's claim to the rest of the planet .
    if any country has a decent ownership claim apart from God's special children , it is Spain .

8. Think for myself

Think for myself Well-Known Member Past Donor

I understand the historic strategic value of the islands, but that was from a time when it took months to cross an ocean.

So what you have, in my fine opinion, is a vestige of British colonialism. Do the British still have a valid claim to the islands? they were not the first to inhabit them. the French were.

In my opinion, the reign of the British over the Islands should come to an end and they should be self determining.

9. Iolo

Iolo Well-Known Member Past Donor

Naive in the extreme. Given self-determination the islanders would of course stay British. They are onto a very good thing because of Thatcher's need to escape lynching a long time ago, but nothing like as long ago as British colonialism.

10. Think for myself

Naive? If you say so.

I see no indication that anything I said was actually incorrect.

11. zulu1

zulu1 Banned

In 1982 prior to the outbreak of the Falklands war, the vast majority of Brits - myself included - didn't have a clue where the Falklands were. Many people at that time thought that it was necessary to defend them against Argentina because, well, we all thought that they were possibly close to the Shetland Isles and those peskie Argies wouldn't stop there but attack the UK mainland.

If these people living thousands of miles away are so keen on being British then the UK government ought to be wise enough to repatriate them back to their 'motherland' and compensate them for their loss of income by giving each of them a plot of land in Devon or Cornwall and a million quid. This option, while expensive, would still be far cheaper - both in human and financial terms - than another war.

12. Iolo

They are not the last vestige of British colonialism but part of the incredible expenses we still pay for the Thatcherite madness, and it is naive to try to suggest that the islanders want anything but to remain, like 'Israel' a group highly subsidied by people elsewhere.

Zulu: Cornwall/Kernow has done nothing to you. Let England look after its own. In general, however, you are wholly right.

13. Think for myself

One, I never said they were the last vestige, I said they were a vestige.

Second, if the islanders want to remain under British rule, then they should be vocal about it.

14. Iolo

Well, they aren't. And why should they be vocal, since they have no need whatever?

15. creation

creation New Member

I always love this subject because its so strange to comprehend what the argies really want here.

On colonialism, if theyre a vestige of such then so is Argentina itself, and the rest of south american continent. It too was settled by europeans. The difference being of course that unlike the falklands it wasnt empty at all.

The only difference being the falklanders are british taxpayers, having consistently chosen very vocally to be so for decades.

On who actually owns it rightfully, the french discovered, the only people to really settle it in numbers concomitant with a working community where the british. The argies were indeed on it for a time as a military party, but were required to leave under protest.

Now really I have a question, what is it any argentinian would want with this place?

16. Think for myself

I would imagine they perceive it as strategically beneficial to them. It is offshore of the split in Argentina.

17. raymondo

raymondo Banned

The French established a colony on the East Coast in 1764 but two years later agreed to leave because certain other parties told them they would be atomised if they did not move .
    Regardless , the British were there in 1594.
    Despite that , there are other complicating circumstances . But the French are not in the running for the prize .

18. Colonel K

Colonel K Well-Known Member

Argentina polled the Falklanders 20 years or more back, and the main result was that 80% of the islanders voted that sovereignty shouldn't even be considered for thinking about putting on the table. (more or less)

19. Serfin' USA

Serfin' USA Well-Known Member

If Argentina owned islands not far from the UK, and the UK was threatening to take them, then I'm pretty sure we'd be hearing a lot more noise from the usual suspects about it.

It'd be a bunch of "Western imperialist pigs are stealing land from Argentina!"

Then, there would be about a dozen threads blaming America for this buildup to war through some very convoluted conspiracy theory.

20. raymondo

raymondo Banned

But this is precisely what these Johnny Foreigners are doing .
    And as fellow NATO members , you Hilly Billys ought to be slapping these upstarts into place .
    This particular species of Pampas liking JF is the one that did a deal with the Yanks after the second world war --- you let the SS escape there in return for scientists and looted money and other valuables .Bloody disgraceful .
    Below will help you understand more about these beastly people and their equally unattractive friends .

Johnny Foreigner

Foreign-type chap
    People from nations other than England
    Not everyone in the world was lucky enough to be born in this green and sceptred isle. There are people out there who know nothing of the joy one feels to awake, knowing oneself to be English by the grace of God... the Christian one that is. This poor blighted soul is the Johnny Foreigner and he is not one of us.
    Johnny Foreigner (JF) never plays with a straight bat and in some cases is married to his cousin by prior parental arrangement. Johnnies have no discernible sense of humour or fair play and they tend to gesticulate with their hands when talking.
    Often the JF will dress oddly to our eyes. JF men will be seen walking through ankle-deep slush in open-toed sandals and socks. JF women may wear all over black muslin bin bags while peering out of a tiny slit - like a postie trapped in a black pillarbox. They may also wear nothing but some grass cuttings and a smile. Some of JFs' women are total foxes (the ones that aren't hidden by the bin bags) - but always use a condom.
    JFs' national anthems tend to be over-long, complicated and totally unmemorable. The exception to this being Germany whose national anthem was written by an Austrian bloke called Haydn. Very nice tune, pity about the words. JF music is also proper shight and sounds like either:
    A member of 3 Para Mortar Platoon having his Back Doors kicked in by a Challenger 2, or...
    Someone who is totally tone deaf has re-tuned all their instruments.
    The armed forces of JF are on the whole mincing, posturing nancy boys who wouldn't last ten minutes at Pirbright. Often his kit will actually work as he is unlikely to have got it from BAE. He will still complain about lack of fairness when a HM shoeing is rendered to him.
    Some of JFs' food is quite noshable though and some of them know how to make good grog.
    By far the most unnerving aspect of Johnny Foreigner is the fact that he or she is seldom called Johnny. It is more likely to be Pierre, Hans, Diego, Maria, Abdul or Ivan.
    The greatest JF that ever lived was the Indian bloke who invented Tandoori Chicken. The rest of them are oxygen thieves - apart from the hot babes obviously.
    Non-English who aren't Johnny Foreigner:
    Americans, Canadians, Aussies, Kiwis and the Irish are not JFs. They're just a little odd.
    South Africans are borderline - not helped by their gene pool being riddled with Dutch poison.
    No matter how annoying or unwilling they are to cheer on Ingerlund in the footie, the Scots and the Welsh are not JFs either.

21. Iolo

Like so much else, as has been said, it is in the first instance about distracting people from the economic mess the rich have produced, and underneath that about oil. Nothing new, never mind where it is.

22. Serfin' USA

Serfin' USA Well-Known Member

Ray, all I'm saying is that the Falklands are UK property.

23. Gator Monroe

Gator Monroe Banned

Falklands Yes , Malvinas No

24. texmaster

texmaster Banned

Like Northern Ireland?

25. ryanm34

ryanm34 New Member

They are and always have been very vocal about their opposition to Argentinian rule.

All the members of the legislative assembly oppose a transfer to Argentinian rule.

Almost all the people living their are british citizens and they are overwhelmingly supportive of continued british rule.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.