Interpol accused after journalist arrested over Muhammad tweet

Discussion in 'Latest US & World News' started by DonGlock26, Feb 11, 2012.

1. DonGlock26

DonGlock26 New Member Past Donor

Interpol accused after journalist arrested over Muhammad tweet

Saudi Arabia used Interpol's system to get journalist arrested in Malaysia for insulting the Prophet Muhammad on Twitter

Interpol has been accused of abusing its powers after Saudi Arabia used the organisation's red notice system to get a journalist arrested in Malaysia for insulting the Prophet Muhammad.

Police in Kuala Lumpur said Hamza Kashgari, 23, was detained at the airport "following a request made to us by Interpol" the international police cooperation agency, on behalf of the Saudi authorities.

Kashgari, a newspaper columnist, fled Saudi Arabia after posting a tweet on the prophet's birthday that sparked more than 30,000 responses and several death threats. The posting, which was later deleted, read: "I have loved things about you and I have hated things about you and there is a lot I don't understand about you … I will not pray for you."

More than 13,000 people joined a Facebook page titled "The Saudi People Demand the Execution of Hamza Kashgari".

Clerics in Saudi Arabia called for him to be charged with apostasy, a religious offence punishable by death. Reports suggest that the Malaysian authorities intend to return him to his native country.

Kashgari's detention has triggered criticism by human rights groups of Malaysia's decision to arrest the journalist and of Interpol's cooperation in the process.

Jago Russell, the chief executive of the British charity Fair Trials International, which has campaigned against the blanket enforcement of Interpol red notices, said: "Interpol should be playing no part in Saudi Arabia's pursuit of Hamza Kashgari, however unwise his comments on Twitter.

"If an Interpol red notice is the reason for his arrest and detention it would be a serious abuse of this powerful international body that is supposed to respect basic human rights (including to peaceful free speech) and to be barred from any involvement in religious or political cases."

He called on Interpol to stand by its obligations to fundamental human rights and "to comply with its obligation not to play any part in this case, which is clearly of a religious nature".

Interpol, which has 190 member countries, has a series of coloured notice systems that police forces around the world use to pass on requests for help. Contacted at its headquarters in Lyon, France, the organisation did not immediately reply to requests for comment on the Kashgari case.

In response to past criticisms of the red notice system, it has said: "There are safeguards in place. The subject of a red notice can challenge it through an independent body, the commission for the control of Interpol's files (CCF)."

Last year Interpol was accused by Fair Trials International of allowing the system to be abused for political purposes when it issued a red notice for the arrest of the Oxford-based leader of an Asian separatist movement, Benny Wenda, who has been granted asylum and has lived in the UK since 2003.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/10/interpol-journalist-arrested-muhammad-tweet

If this man is murdered by the Saudis, the blood will be on Interpol's hands. The Muslims will use international bodies such as Interpol and the UN for their own nefarious purposes.

_

2. stig42

stig42 New Member

No their human it’s just humans can (*)(*)(*)(*)ing suck and be crazy religious

But the people that would kill over insulting Mohamed can stick their holly book right up their own (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)s

3. MisLed

MisLed New Member

He's only just insulted Mo. Now when he insults Curly and Larry, that's when i'll get upset.

4. DonGlock26

DonGlock26 New Member Past Donor

Where are the usual Muslim apologists?

_

5. stig42

stig42 New Member

um I’ll give it a go i suppose not every Muslim is out to make Islam law

6. leftlegmoderate

leftlegmoderate New Member

This is an unprecedented step by Islamic authoritarians... as far as I know. It's not at all uncommon for people to suffer legal consequences for expressing themselves in Islam dominated countries... but wow... this kicks it up a notch.

I really, really hope that the Islamic world experiences a secular uprising never before known to man.

7. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

Update:

Hamza Kashgari was deported back to Saudi Arabia only 3 days after being arrested. Kashgari's lawyer filed for an injunction to stop his deportation, but by the time the Malaysian court granted the request and issued the injunction order the plane carrying Kashgari had already left 3½ hours earlier.

He was immediately arrested upon arrival in Saudi Arabia, then jailed for over 20 months without trial. He was released October 29, 2013.

This story clearly illustrates the danger of laws that automatically arrest and deport someone based on a judge's order in another country. Similar problems are going on in the E.U.

8. wgabrie

wgabrie Well-Known Member Donor

Well, I guess this just goes to show how much of your freedoms and rights are an accident of birth.