“Severely Conservative” Romney Losing Trust Of Many Conservatives. GOP Is Divided.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Frowning Loser, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Frowning Loser

Frowning Loser Banned

Although the “Severely Conservative” Romney won the CPAC poll he has clearly lost the trust of many Conservatives. This is bad news for both Romney and the Republicans if he is nominated. As I’ve stated many times before there is a division between hard core conservatives and more moderate establishment Republicans. Not all of the Conservatives distrust Romney, but certainly enough to lose the all out enthusiasm he will need from his Conservative base to unseat a sitting President. He is trying to be so many things to so many people that he will easily lose the trust of the independent voters as well. Romney can only twist in so many directions before he hangs himself.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/12/politics/romney-conservative/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

Romney victories mask lingering questions about his candidacy

“You repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth," said Justin Wight, a political consultant based in Asheville, North Carolina. "That is the Mitt Romney campaign for president of the United States right there."
    Judd Saul, a tea party activist and Santorum backer who traveled to CPAC from Cedar Falls, Iowa, said the Republican establishment's fixation on Romney's electability against President Barack Obama is leading the party to an all-but-certain loss in November.
    "It is a lie that none of the other candidates are electable," he said. "It is a flat lie. You know who gets to decide who is electable? The people decide. Not the media, not the pundits."
    GOP battle lines hardening
    Never mind that the straw poll data showed that a candidate's position on the issues was more important to CPAC voters than his chances of defeating Obama -- the battle lines in the Republican presidential race are hardening.

Romney's losses to Santorum in Minnesota, Missouri and Colorado last Tuesday were nonbinding.
    But the three states were laboratories of GOP sentiment largely untouched by the blizzard of television and radio ads that swamped airwaves in previous nominating states -- and Romney was firmly rejected by the conservative base in all three.His stumbles provided Santorum and Gingrich a rationale to forge ahead to the next contests and embrace the hard-line grass-roots fury that has been roiling the GOP since 2009.

His stumbles provided Santorum and Gingrich a rationale to forge ahead to the next contests and embrace the hard-line grass-roots fury that has been roiling the GOP since 2009.

Santorum entered CPAC after several days campaigning in Texas, where he drew some of the largest crowds of his campaign.
    "As conservatives and tea party folks, we are not just wings of the Republican Party," Santorum declared at CPAC, hours before Romney was set to speak. "We are the Republican Party."

For most of the Republican race, Romney steered clear of fiery talk and cautiously tried to convey an aura of inevitability, keeping the Republican base at arm's length while focusing his economy-themed attacks on the president.
    For months, it worked.

In debates and campaign events throughout 2011 and in the early days of this year, Romney's past support for abortion rights and a health insurance mandate in Massachusetts largely escaped attention as the rest of the GOP candidates dueled with each other.
    When Romney did come under fire, most directly in South Carolina from Gingrich, the central line of attack focused on his personal wealth and tax returns -- not his evolving positions on core conservative issues.”

The day before his address, Romney quietly organized a private session with conservative leaders in a Marriott hotel suite to make them "feel comfortable" about his bid and solicit advice about his message, according to one participant in the meeting.

Then came his speech, a sharp pivot to the right that made clear his campaign is girding for a tougher-than-expected nomination fight, even if it means employing partisan rhetoric that risks turning off the independent voters who will be so crucial in the general election.

Romney said that as Massachusetts governor, he fiercely opposed same-sex marriage, fought for abstinence education in public schools, and vetoed a bill that would have made it easier for young women to obtain abortions.

"I know conservatism because I have lived conservatism," Romney said.
    The speech, specifically Romney's claim to be a "severely conservative Republican," left some outspoken voices on the right confused.
    "I wasn't quite sure what the word 'severely' meant," said former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, who said in an interview with CNN and The New York Times that Romney needs to improve his relationship with tea party activists.

I wasn't quite sure what the word 'severely' meant," said former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, who said in an interview with CNN and The New York Times that Romney needs to improve his relationship with tea party activists.

Radio host Rush Limbaugh called the line a "pander."
    "I have never heard anybody say, 'I'm severely conservative,'" Limbaugh said on his show.

"I've never heard anybody say it."
    Legendary conservative activist Richard Viguerie released a harshly worded statement on Saturday casting doubt on Romney's sincerity.
    "In my 50 years in conservative politics at the national level, I have never heard anyone other than Governor Romney describe himself as 'severely' conservative," Viguerie said. "Romney has shown, once again, that he can mouth the words conservatives use, but he has no gut-level emotional connection with the conservative movement and its ideas and policies."

2. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

Don't get your hopes up libs.

Romney is not the conservatives first choice.

But if the election becomes a choice between Romney and Omama it will be Romney all the way for all serious conservatives.

3. Bondo

Bondo Well-Known Member

Ayuh,.... Atleast they ain't as divided as the Democrats were back in '08,...

Hilarious was beatin' the S(*)(*)T outa Obo, at this point, Then....

No matter who runs against Obo in November,...
    ABO will be to votin' cry for not only the serious conservatives,...
    But also most everybody but the Ultra-Lib Progressives....

4. marbro

marbro New Member

The establishment GOP has gone out of their way to make Mitt their choice, by moving up primary dates and other BS changes this year that just pissed off the evangelist and libertarians. The libertarians were able to pull in folks from the left and middle who voted obama before and that should have been a big boost for the GOP but they will just go back to democrats or not vote because of the way the party treated them. Evangelist will eventually vote for whoever is nominated becuase of they hate Obama so much but a lot will not bother voting.

If I was a betting man, I would put my money on Obama. The Race was the GOP to lose and they are going out of their way to make that happen.

Very low turnout
    Very low minority turnout
    And no candidate that inspires the whole base.

Just a bunch of pissed off people who can do nothing but be negative all the time and not bring solutions to the table. Its a stupid aproach and sadly will be the beginning of the end of the GOP's once powerful enfluence.

I think if ever there was a time for a new party to form and stick, its going to be after this election when a lot of conservitives say (*)(*)(*)(*) the GOP.

5. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

My guess, most of the conservative republican voters will vote third party, or stay home. But it's still going to be barely an Obama win.

6. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

No matter what complaints anyone has about Romney he's far better than Obama.

This election is not Romney and his moderate leanings.

Its about the American people and what they expect.

7. Frowning Loser

Frowning Loser Banned

I hope you realize it was the hard right conservatives who deliberately purged the Republican party of moderate conservatives during the 2010 Republican primaries. They will not be showing the spirited "get out the vote drive" over a politician who is more left of center than the Republican congressional candidates they remove from the Republican Party in 2010..

An apathetic conservative base spells doom for a 2 faced candidate like Romney.

8. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

Pardon us if conservatives prefer to vote for candidates who reflect our values.

Given a choice we are not going to vote for a RINO just to make the lib news media happy.

9. marbro

marbro New Member

I think you are in for some serious disappointment. The Republican Party has gone out of its way to disenfranchise a large base and will not get the enthusiasm needed to go out and vote for a smuck like Mitt.

If we end up with the idiot Obama another 4 years, I hope its the end of the republican party. It does not represent conservitism anymore. Its far to progressive now and Mitt will only make the party the most progressive it has ever been in my lifetime.