The Hunger Games

Discussion in 'Other Off-Topic Chat' started by Makedde, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

Before the movie comes out I thought I should read the books. I'm about to start the first one. Has anyone else read them and if so, what did you think?

2. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

Never heard of the books or movie before, but the trailer for the film looks very compelling.

3. MisLed

MisLed New Member

My daughter in law read them and liked them. I want to.

4. Makedde

The movie opens here in a matter of weeks and I won't get through all the books before ten. I think I'll see the movie first then read the books. If I start the books and get halfway, then watch the movie, it will give the ending away!

5. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

Bump.

I saw the movie over the weekend. The lead actress is very good and carries the entire film in my opinon, never seen her before in any movies.
    Rather than give a long drawn out review, I'll just say this movie is not for young children...there is plenty of violence in the film of young people killing
    other young people. I would think anyone under 12 would find some of the scenes disturbing. The violence is not gratuitious but it is implied.

This film reminds of the Japanese cult film "Battle Royale."

6. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

I liked the movie, but not the book. But then again, I had to read it all at once, so that might be why.

7. Sadanie

Sadanie Well-Known Member Past Donor

I really think youshould read the first book (the movie only covers the first book anyway) before seeing the movie, as the book is written in the voice of Katniss, and thus gives you a lot more insight into her character and make it a lot easier to understand the special effects and the course of the movie.

I very much enjoyed both the books (all three) and the movie, but I would not have gotten as much out of the movie without having read the book.

The book's style is very simple (probably because it is written in a young girl with no formal education, thus it uses simple sentences structures and words, but it is not simplistic) and easy reading, and it is hard to put it down once you get into it, so you should be able to read it in a few days at most.

I'd love to hear what you think after reading the book, and also about the movie.

8. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Banned

I finished the trilogy last week...I found the first book (Hunger Games) very good, the second (Catching Fire) superb...but the third (Mockingjay) was, at best, fair. It COULD have (and SHOULD have) been a spectacular series, but the third book makes me consider it "pretty good". The books are short...I finished the first two the day after getting each one.

9. MisLed

MisLed New Member

I read 2 and a half. I want the main characters dead.

10. Slyhunter

Slyhunter New Member Past Donor

I liked the books better than the movie. But the movie wasn't bad.
    It explains things better in the books.

Shows you what happens if you give the government too much power.

11. Makedde

I managed to read all three books before seeing the movie. The cinema was packed, lol, full of teenagers. The film was great though - I didn't like the casting of Peeta, though. Wrong actor, he just annoys me. Jen Lawrence is amazing, though.

12. Slyhunter

I didn't like the casting of Peeta either, too much of a love struck puppy dog kid. But after reading the book I realized that's the way she wrote him. So he played the part perfectly.

I saw the movie before I read the books.

I suspected Katniss was faking in the movie because I couldn't understand why she would suddenly fall in love with a stupid kid like she did. That didn't make sense to me when I watched the movie. Reading the book afterwards and it made sense.

13. Bluespade

Bluespade Banned

Just watched the movie tonight, it was pretty good.
    I haven't read the book, so what's the reason she fell for the kid?

14. Slyhunter

The sponsors give more gifts if they think they are in love.
    In the book the sponsors gave them more stuff than they did in the movie. In the movie they only got one item. In the book it was 3 or 4 for Katniss and other kids got stuff too. The movie doesn't get into the motivations behind the characters or the really good details about how they became a Nation full of capital with rural serfs doing the dirty work.

FYI the movie is only for book 1. I like the book better. It Gave more depth to everything.

15. Bluespade

Bluespade Banned

I think I'll have to pick up this book.