+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Stop complaining: Cost of living is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MegadethFan View Post
    Yeah, clearly
    Here's what I think should happen:
    The government says, "no (*)(*)(*)(*) off and earn your own living." 20 million must be taken from other industries. This means the government needs to tax Australians $20 million to pay for a measly 1000 jobs. Consider doing this for every business that couldn't compete? That being said, the factory would not close, and there is no such thing as "cant do anything else." What they would do is lay off some people so they didn't have to pay them all, and could thus lower the price of the widgets. They could also set about improving the production capacity of their company to make the widgets at a cheaper price. There are a myriad of things they could do. By getting money, this means people in China cannot compete with Australians because Australians get a subsidy. Consequently consumers generally are not better off because they need to pay for other people's jobs. It is not the community that would lose 180 million if the business went under. The people that would lose the 180 million would be the company.
    Hows that? When did the Australian government start subsidize Chinese industry?
    Wrong. Because the Chinese widgets are cheaper, the consumers of them pay less, thus having more money to do other stuff.
    Can you see the sense in providing government assistance to industry now?
    No. The cost-benefit calculation inevitably means Aussies lose out generally, because people have to essentially pay the wages of others. The reality is jobs are created constantly. The guys form the factory could go work somewhere else, or get training/education, which I support improving, that allows them to reenter the labor force without strife.
    Go through the others because the ones you have mentioned here are flawed to say the least.
    I am not going to waste my time talking to a fool who doesn't know what he is talking about.

2. Default

So you think cost of living should only be measured based on house prices? Can you explain why NO ANALYST IN THE WORLD AGREES WITH YOU?
    That`s nothing like what I said, didn`t take you long to get confused.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Adultmale View Post
    I am not going to waste my time talking to a fool who doesn't know what he is talking about.
    haha, yeah that's a perfectly reasonable response
    ---------------------------
    I'm willing to change my position at any time on any issue. I have done so in the past. All you need is a logical, provable case, and I'm all in. The question is, have you got what it takes?
    Oh, and just so you're not confused, I'm an apatheist libertarian.

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." --Noam Chomsky

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by aussiefree2ride View Post
    That`s nothing like what I said, didn`t take you long to get confused.
    So what was it you said?
    I'm willing to change my position at any time on any issue. I have done so in the past. All you need is a logical, provable case, and I'm all in. The question is, have you got what it takes?

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." --Noam Chomsky

5. Default

If you want to live in a house, it has a dominant effect on the cost of living. Dream & spin, spin & dream.
    That`s what I said.

6. Default

haha, yeah that's a perfectly reasonable response
    Under the circumstances, it is.

7. Default

That`s what I said.
    So what is the point you were trying to make through that argument?

8. Default

Under the circumstances, it is.
    What circumstances are those?

9. Default

So what is the point you were trying to make through that argument?
    That housing prices do have a big effect on the cost of living. Then you tried to make out that I said that housing prices were an absolute indicator.

10. Default

What circumstances are those?
    These ones, that`s them.

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast