Religion is not a uniter, it is a divider.

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by rstones199, Feb 16, 2012.

1. rstones199

rstones199 Well-Known Member

Does every one know the difference between two human beings is, as in genetically? .7% is difference. Yep, every human being on this Earth is 99.3% genetically identical. One would think with so much in common with each other, that we wouldn't be so divided.

During the Human Genome Project, men from every corner of the world sent their DNA in to be examined. Something profound was discovered. Every single male had one mutation in the Y chromosome. ThatÂ’s right, over 4 million samples and EVERY one has the same mutation.
    This means we are all related. All men can trace their heritage back to one man. The same holds true with women. Some would point to this and say, that Adam and Eve of the bible. The problem is, the grand 'dad' of them all lived about 75K years ago, the grand 'mother' lived about 200,000 years ago. They are better know as Mitochondrial Eve and Y Chromosome Adam.

Since we have so much in common with each other, and that we are all related, you would think there would be greater cooperation between human beings. You would think there would be greater cooperation between countries and regions. But alas, there is not.

Why? The common denominator is religion. Religion is not a uniter, it is a divider. Look on this board. Look how much contempt there is for Islam. Look how much contempt there is for christianity. Look how much contempt there is for atheists. This is just on this board. Look at the middle east where people today are killing each other over religious beliefs

Once you become a humanist, and put the human race above all others, then and only then will you see what I am saying here. Only then will you see that Religion is not a uniter, it is a divider.

2. FreeWare

FreeWare Active Member Past Donor

I see what you are saying, Rstones199, except the genetics part is nothing but an appeal to emotion. Genetics have nothing to do with it. Even if we were all clones of each other, i.e. 100% genetically identical, we'd still be as culturally and ideologically different as we are now. Those things depend on living conditions, such as environment, scarcity of resources and so on, not on genetics.

I actually have two 100% genetically identical clones as brothers (meaning they are identical twins, of course) and, I kid you not, they haven't seen or spoken to each other since they had a fight 10 years ago. And neither of them are religious, by the way.

3. Swensson

Swensson Devil's advocate

Yeah, I wouldn't say that religion is the common denominator. There are many other ideas around too that can mess things up. I'd say religion's main role is as justification. Personally, I get the impression that nationalism, separationism and unificationism (wait, unificationism is something else too), tend to be worse war mongers.

4. Anobsitar

Anobsitar Banned

One of the worst mass-murderers of history - Heinrich Himmler - was educated to be a humanist. Is this dividing enough dear "human race above all others"-friend?

http://youtu.be/XDIJUbJZESU
    http://youtu.be/IehlNMSivhw

5. OJLeb

OJLeb New Member

Same with nationalism.

Religion can bring people together, it's people who use religion to divide, not the other way around.

6. FreeWare

Bringing people together to create a distance from others is part of dividing.

7. OJLeb

OJLeb New Member

I mean people in general, of other faiths.

All these people who blame religion for things fail to understand, religion is not a physical entity. It's meant to be a guide to a righteous life for humanity in the eyes of God.

What people do with religion differs because people differ. Some people use religion to bring people together, preach peace, do good things.

Others use religion to do bad things as well.

It's stupid to blame religion for this. Blame the individuals doing the bad things, just like you blame the individuals doing the good things. No double standards.

8. FreeWare

Bringing together people of other faiths, as you say, could mean to stand against people with no faith, which is still a means to divide people.

9. vladik

vladik New Member

I think there is one God for all people but not one God for all religions and True religion is religion without hate and murder.

10. revol

revol New Member

In The name of Allah
    The Beneficent The Merciful

All praise is due to Allah
    The Beneficent The Merciful

The Lord of the worlds
    Master of the Day of Judgement

Thee alone do I serve
    Thee alone do I worship
    Thee alone do I seek guidance from

Oh, Allah
    guide me on the straight path
    The path of those whom you have bestowed favor
    Not the path of the hypocrites, polytheist, disbelievers nor Jinn

Romans 9
    22What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:

23And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,

Where there is favor, there is also the unfavorable..... Where there is righteous, there is also the unrighteous..... Where there is worthy, there is also the unworthy..... Where there is glory, there is also wrath and destruction.

You cannot sit across from another who doesn't believe as you do and not believe that they are inferior to you; through your belief they are not your equal, and both God and Allah wouldn't have it any other way.

11. rstones199

Bingo.....

12. rstones199

Bingo!!!!!!

I would rep ya, but I have rep some more people before repping ya again.

13. Felicity

Felicity Well-Known Member Past Donor

Jesus never claimed he was bringing people together--in fact, he stated the opposite.

Luke 12
    [51] Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division;

Of course there is division. Belief and unbelief. God or Mammon. You make your choice.

14. revol

revol New Member

Romans 9
    22What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:

23And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,

Where is the example of choice?

If you had my mind, your choice would be identical to it...... An omniscient God would certainly have understood this the moment I was conceived....
    If you are correct in your belief, which in an infinite number of lives in this mind I could not accept..... I am one of those vessels of wrath that your loving God has created to destroy.

15. rstones199

I bring up the genetics thing because humans are visual creatures.

Look at the two pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These two people look different, yet they are 99.3% genetically alike. Maybe, just maybe if we can get people to realize this, people can start getting past what someone looks like and starting thinking about how much in common we have.

16. Felicity

So? Just because he knows it doesn't mean it's not still your free choice.

Whose fault is that? You say it yourself..."I could not accept"--you choose.

I'm sorry to hear that you have chosen that. There's still time. Perhaps you will change your mind yet. God knows.

17. Felicity

Hmmmmmm. You're pro-life?

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    they are 99.3% genetically alike

18. rstones199

Hearsay.

Since mankind has nothing of what jesus wrote, and since his supposed teachings weren't written down for some 60 years after his supposed death, what you are citing is nothing but pure hearsay.

But beyond that, thank you for showing what 'jesus said' is that religion is the great divider, not the uniter.

19. rstones199

Red herring

Topic A: Religion is a divider
    Topic B: is Abortion.

Mod edit: Off topic.

20. revol

revol New Member

Perhaps you don't understand..... In an infinite number of lives I could not choose differently...... It's an impossibility!

The only God I could ever accept in this mind is one where every life is worthy, regardless of what they have become or believe in their physical nature.....
    In my mind where every life is worthy, every deviant behavior that exists is a result of where humanity as an expression is failing. It is a reflection upon ourselves to push further into our own beauty of expression within humanity where every life is embraced and able to see itself...... Much like the example given.

The example of God that is given in Christianity and concepts of good/evil, righteous/unrighteous, worthy/unworthy, grace/wrath..... I couldn't have imagined a more foul example of a God.....
    Even if I were given the opportunity face to face with such a creature where I was offered bliss or death; I would choose death rather than to live eternal with the psychological torture of knowing my creator would discard a single life.
    I am in absolute peace and bliss with my choice seeing that with every fiber of my being I myself could not discard a single life.

21. Felicity

Really? That's your argument? :giggle:

22. Felicity

It's your logic, my friend.

23. Felicity

So you say...How could you possibly know such a thing? You don't know for certainty what you will choose in the next hour, let alone in an infinite number of lives.

24. FreeWare

??

Your reply was no way near anything that could be logically drawn from Rstones199's post. It was a textbook example of a red herring. You should learn from it instead of trying to defend it.

25. rstones199

Missed this part eh?