UN General Assembly Calls on Assad to Step Down (137-12)

Discussion in 'Latest US & World News' started by Talon, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Talon

Talon Well-Known Member Past Donor

In a show of solidarity with the Syrian resistance to Bashar al-Assad's hereditary fascist kleptocracy, the UN General Assembly overwhelmingly passed a resolution condemning the violent crackdown in Syria and calling on President Bashar al-Assad to step down. Meanwhile, Assad's killing spree across Syria continues on what promises to be yet another violent Friday...

Of course, Assad's Alawi mafia, like his fascist allies in Tehran, will never permit their ungrateful subjects to fully and freely exercise their human, civil and political rights, and thus the killing, the arrests and the violent repression will continue. Thugs like Bashar al-Assad and Ali Khamenei don't share power...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p_1RTC0PTA&feature=player_embedded"]Syria Shelling Continues Despite UN Vote - YouTube[/ame]

2. Bishadi

Bishadi Banned

i wonder when the people of the world will realize, that Assad is just taking out the same militias that the US has been pursuing in afghanistan, pakistan, iraq and now that control Egypt, Libya and next it will be syria, if Assad is required to stop pursuing them.

Assad aint shooting 'freedom fighters' he now has them religious wingnut in his country trying to create a divide from the government and the people.

Heck, in Behrain there is almost 10 times the amount of destruction, deaths and abuse but because the Saud's are friends with the king no one can tell them to stop running over people.

The saudi arabian government is by far the most horrid to human rights than even china

3. Valour

Valour Banned

Would NATO step in like how they did for Libya?

4. Talon

One thing I've found both interesting and kharmic - and you could see this coming years ago - is that the terrorists and jihadists that Assad has hosted and funneled into Iraq are now turning their bombs and guns against him.

He was riding the tiger then and now it's turned around and bitten him squarely on the arse. Clearly, The Little Dictator isn't as resourceful and clever as he thinks he is...

5. Talon

I'm sure the Arab League would like to have NATO do their dirty work for them again, but Vlad the Invader and the Wardens of the Laogai will block any such effort at the UN.

An even more interesting question is whether or not Turks or maybe even the Arab League would act outside the UN and intervene in Syria on their own. If anyone's in a position to put a speedy end to the violence it's Turkey...

6. Bishadi

Bishadi Banned

sounds like osama bin laden, when he was trained, armed and fought side by side with the americans.

but personally, i dont believe assad hosted any militia and they turned on him

That would be almost like the belief that israel is good for the middle east

7. Talon

Meanwhile, Assad's killing spree continues in Homs and elsewhere...

8. Talon

Yes, one can see the similarities, which is why many could see the terrorists and jihadists that Assad hosted turning on him years ago...

That's precisely what Assad has done, and now they're turning against him. Maybe this will refresh your memory...

I remember there being a lot of speculation that the US cooperated with the Syrians on this raid, since Syrian military forces reportedly stood by and observed the raid. This sent a clear signal that Assad was beginning to worry about the terrorists he had invited on to his soil as the insurgency in Iraq was gasping its dying breath...

9. Valour

Valour Banned

Sorry but who are you referring to when you mention "Vlad the Invader and the Wardens of the Laogai "?

10. Talon

Pardon my rhetorical flourishes - I was referring to the Kremlin and Beijing...

11. Goomba

Goomba Well-Known Member

Taking into account the geopolitical, ethnic, and religious factors that pertain to Syria, such a move would be disastourous.1 Indeed, the toppling of Assad would most likely result in the breakdown of the state (this is primarily due to the dominance the Alawites have over the military, security, and so forth), and there is no mystery as to why many (especially the minorities in Syria and its neighbors) would want Asaad to stay in power.

1 See Iraq War.

12. Talon

The chaos may be coming, regardless.

One analyst made an interesting observation that Libya imploded whereas Syria will explode. As you're probably aware, the violence in Syria has already spilled across its borders...

Syrian conflict spills over border into Lebanon
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17072517

One Lebanese observer predicted that civil war in Syria will lead to civil war in Lebanon. Events in Tripoli suggest that this could happen as the sectarian groups in Lebanon pick sides and turn on one another...

13. Jonsa

Jonsa Well-Known Member Past Donor

Chaos is inevitable. The Syrian dictatorship is not sustainable. Payback is going to be a B__CH for the Bathists.

14. Talon

I expect the Sunnis will be hand delivering the kharma in spades. The Little Dictator has made far too many enemies throughout the Arab world...

15. moon

moon Well-Known Member

What's this I see ? Talon praising the authority of the General Assembly ? :mrgreen: Jolly good show, Talon. We'll be looking for your further support for G.A. Resolutions old and new. This one, for example;

16. Talon

Jolly good show yourself, moon. Where did I praise the General Assembly in any way shape or form?

:popcorn:

17. moon

moon Well-Known Member

Why, does not your first post (#1 ) offer up a General Assembly resolution as moral condemnation ? Or were you mocking the GA and suggesting that this latest resolution on Syria carries no weight ? Perhaps you were simply skiing the slopes of hypocrisy and cherry-picking your GA resolutions ? You can be honest with us. :mrgreen:

18. Talon

What - no quote, moon?

Keep digging, there's not too many posts to sift through. In the meantime, contemplate the difference between reporting and praising...

19. moon

moon Well-Known Member

Why, does not your first post (#1 ) offer up a General Assembly resolution as moral condemnation ? :mrgreen: A simple yay or nay ought to do it, old cryptid. You can be direct ?

20. Iolo

Iolo Well-Known Member Past Donor

Clearly President Assad will follow the path 'Israel' has always followed when condemned y the Gerneral Assembly and never take any notice whatever.

21. Talon

Still no quote, moon? What's with your inability to post it directly? There's only two pages of posts to sift through.

While you're floundering around, feel free to make a point of praising the GA and its resolution yourself - you wouldn't want to do a faceplant down the ski slope of hypocrisy...

22. moon

moon Well-Known Member

Quote ? Why, does not your first post (#1 ) offer up a General Assembly resolution as moral condemnation ? Explain to the forum, please, how your first post could possibly be a condemnation of the General Assembly vote when it is couched in praise of it. :mrgreen:

23. Talon

Q-U-O-T-E.

Do I need to write it down in crayon next time?

Since you're failing to produce this praise you speak of, when might we expect you to look to yourself and express your own praise of the GA and its resolution? You wouldn't want to bleat about skiing down the slope of hypocrisy only to skewer yourself on your own ski pole, would you? :mrgreen:

24. moon

moon Well-Known Member

It appears that you are done. I await your next daft dalliance with doublespeak.

Incidentally, I always applaud the resolutions of the General Assembly. Not being a hypocritical cherry-picker I don't have to scuttle from dark place to skirting board trying to recall who I am and what I stand for. :mrgreen:

Yay, go G.A.

25. Talon

Still no quote, moon?

Still no praise for the GA for passing its resolution on Syria? Not a peep of praise for the resolution, itself?

Just more of the same old Weenie Hut Stormfront Junior - All Jews, All the Time™ routine?

There's no question you're done, toots...

[​IMG]

Break out the parkas and cover your ears, kids - moon's gonna blow!! :lol: