Russia to Deploy S-400 Air Defense Systems Near Borders

Discussion in 'Russia & Eastern Europe' started by EvilAztec, Feb 17, 2012.

1. EvilAztec

EvilAztec Banned

[​IMG]

Russia to Deploy S-400 Air Defense Systems Near Borders

Russia will place several new S-400 Triumf air defense systems near its borders in 2012, Air Force Commander Alexander Zelin said.
    “The Russian Armed Forces will receive several S-400 air defense systems this year,” Zelin told RIA Novosti on Monday. “This time they will be deployed
    in air defense units guarding [Russia’s] border regions.”
    Russia currently has two S-400 regiments protecting the airspace around Moscow.
    Zelin did not specify the deployment locations for new S-400 units, but some of them will most likely be placed in the Russian exclave of Kaliningrad as part
    of the response to the planned European missile shield initiative, which Moscow considers as a threat to its national security.
    The S-400 (SA-21 Growler) air defense system is expected to form the cornerstone of Russia's theater air and missile defenses by 2020.
    The S-400 can engage targets at a range of up to 400 km and an
    altitude of 40,000-50,000 meters. The system uses an array of assets optimized for engaging ballistic and cruise missiles.
    An S-400 air defense regiment consists of two or three battalions equipped with four systems each. Russia is planning to arm 56 battalions with S-400 systems by 2020.
    http://www.en.rian.ru/mlitary_news/20120214/171302617.html

[​IMG]
    http://www.en.rian.ru/infographics/20091217/157272520.html

2. EvilAztec

EvilAztec Banned

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwgWSMhISPo"]New S-400 anti-aircraft missile systems to guard Moscow Video RIA Novosti - YouTube[/ame]

3. EvilAztec

EvilAztec Banned

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW84WuwXEWI"]S-400 Triumf destroys supersonic target - YouTube[/ame]

4. Peter Szarycz

Peter Szarycz New Member

50 km altitude range, that's half way to outer space (100 km). If Russia ever entered into a war with the West, the latter might have a problem establishing air superiority over Russian territory with such systems in place. No wonder the emphasis is on unmanned drones and long-range missiles fitted on manned aircraft.

5. Peter Szarycz

Peter Szarycz New Member

6. EvilAztec

EvilAztec Banned

7. EvilAztec

EvilAztec Banned

8. IgnoranceisBliss

IgnoranceisBliss Well-Known Member

That's where cruise missiles, F-22s, and B-2 bombers come into play.

9. EvilAztec

EvilAztec Banned

MAKS 2011
    KA-52
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i90afxVObO4&feature=related"]Ka-52 at MAKS 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

10. Peter Szarycz

Peter Szarycz New Member

I read somewhere though, the Ka-52 will only be used in an anti-tank role using hit and run tactics i.e. the chopper will take cover behind a tree line or a hill, scout the area for targets using sensors built into a pod over its rotors, then pop up suddenly, fire away missiles and run away. It's tandem rotor arrangement is simply too voulnerable to taking damage. The chopper's greatest asset is in its agility, hence hit and run. The real workhorse of the Russian air cavalry and the successor to Mil-Mi-24 on the other hand will be Mil-Mi-28 or its derivative, since it's basically a flying tank.

11. EvilAztec

EvilAztec Banned

[​IMG]

Iskander Missile SS-26 Stone is a short range tactical missile system developed and produced in Russia. The system replaces the Oka SS-23 SPIDER which had been terminated under the Intermediate Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty. Development of the system was undertaken by the Kolomna Engineering Design Bureau development during the 1990s under the project name "Tender". The Iskander SS-25 Stone theatre missile system is designed to destroy enemy weapons, command posts, communications nodes, tactical aircraft parked on airfields, air and missile defence installations and other critical targets in operational depth round the clock and in any season when countered by heavy regular and precision-guided munitions, weapons of mass destruction, as well as anti-missile defence and EW assets. All Iskander vehicles feature cross-country wheeled chassis making them very mobile. The missile is solid-fuelled, single-staged with continuous guidance along the whole trajectory. It features a non-separable warhead with a self-contained INS coupled with an optical homing head. The warhead can house a cluster-bomb, HE-fragmentation or penetration charge.

http://www.armyrecognition.com/russ...ballistic_missile_russian_army_russia_te.html

12. EvilAztec

EvilAztec Banned

I was at Moscow on MAKS 2011. I live not far from Moscow, and if there is a possibility to visit shows like MAKS , I do it. I saw the Ka-52 . That is incredibly maneuverable machine.
    I do not know anything about the sensors, but I know that only Russian design of helicopter propeller coaxial is the perfect design among decisions from other countries.
    This is the shturmovik-helicopter

13. EvilAztec

EvilAztec Banned

Mi-24. The legendary machine , but obsolete .
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fX3t5bg7N4&feature=fvst"]Mi-24 - YouTube[/ame]

14. EvilAztec

EvilAztec Banned

Mi-28 . The magnificent machine. But government commission did not adopt it...sad but true
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_gTuWF3Eg0"]Mi - 28 - YouTube[/ame]

15. raymondo

raymondo Banned

One of the funniest and most expensive blunders that Russia has ever made .
    Who exactly is going to attack them?
    If they think it is China , they will be pointing in the wrong direction , and , if and when China did attack , the fight will be in the East for obvious reasons .
    If America ever attacked ( not in a million years) , the Aurora Project planes wouldn't disturb the radar .
    The one advantage Russia has defensively is that nobody would ever wish to invade ,under any circumstances .
    And by the time America has finished invading Syria , Yemen , Lebanon and Nigeria , the Federation will have fallen into pieces .
    To cap it , this system has never been used in anger . The chances of it not working must be very high based on the recent history of tragic disasters .

16. Peter Szarycz

Peter Szarycz New Member

I heard some military decision makers in Russia regretted for opting on a coaxial rotor configuration, which made the chopper very agile, but made it unsuitable for a general purpose rule and relegated it as a tank-buster only. That's why Russians could not sell or had a tough time selling this weapon to India for example. Eastern Europe bought quite a few of them though, but again for specialized roles. Moreover, why did Mil-28 get cancelled? And if so, how will Russia find a replacement for a Mil-24?

17. EvilAztec

EvilAztec Banned

It is very clear that there is any doubt of our generals. That's doubt for during collapse of coaxial propellers during the abrupt maneuvers .
    It's just no understanding of modern design... as an example of sea Ka-29 which
    served for many years in the Morskoy Flot . There was not problem with Ka-29. For This machine has been a lot of opposites in that time it while
    been created . But so far Ka-29 working very well .
    Ka-29
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upDzvRRV6GE"]Ка-29 Севастополь.avi - YouTube[/ame]

18. raymondo

raymondo Banned

You can post as many boring pictures as keeps you happy and discuss the merits of the ZP sprocket over the revolving BF padlock forever , BUT , what are they going to do?
    How many Wooden Buildings Villagers will have to die this Winter because they have no electricity or food?
    How can a third world State afford these useless toys?
    From what I read , you better point them at Latvia . The people have spoken and they hate Russia.

19. EvilAztec

EvilAztec Banned

I want ,I can, and I will post pictures and discuss the advantages of the PSHOLTYNAH device before the device SORRY . If you do not like do not read .
    By the way you forgot about the starving African children. You just make a call phone your prime
    that is the minister ,for to say next "Forget about the Falkland Islands, help the children of Africa"

I don't care about Latvia . Russia will buy out this crap for kopeks . LOL

20. EvilAztec

EvilAztec Banned

This decision easily explained by an example - in present times , there are not development of the newest generation of the tank , but only the modernization of older types of tanks.
    Perhaps that rule is suitable for the helicopter's designers ,they are comes to the same rules and the same way - unification that is mean more cheaper.
    If there is a multi-purpose Ka-52 shturmovic-helicopter, than that's more than enough.

21. Giftedone

Giftedone Well-Known Member Past Donor

The Russians are way ahead in cruise missile technology. After the collapse that is what they focused on.

It only takes a few of cheap missiles to take out a really expensive F-22/B-2.

In 1999 a Serb modified some old 1961 SA-3 missile technology and took out an F-16 and an "invisible" F-117

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htada/articles/20051121.aspx

Good luck against a real enemy with real technology like Russia.

22. Mushroom

Mushroom Well-Known Member

Yea, and?

Since I do not think we have any plans on attacking Russia, Defensive systems do not bother me one little bit. They are welcome to install them every 5 kilometers all the way around their border, does not matter one little bit to me.

These are only good for shooting down aircraft and rockets. These are not a threat to anybody, unless they are going to attack Russia.

*yawn*

23. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Kinda looks like dey gonna be shootin' at our jets...
    :omg:
    Russia Sends 'Antiaircraft Missiles' To Syria
    November 05, 2015 - The commander of the Russian Air Force says Russia has deployed antiaircraft missile systems to Syria.
    See also:

Why Are Russian, Central Asian Militants Vanishing From Social Networks?
    November 05, 2015 - Russian and Central Asian militants fighting alongside Islamic State (IS), Al-Qaeda, and the Taliban in Syria and Iraq are disappearing from social-networking sites like Odnoklassniki and VKontakte.
    Mebbe dey goin' over to the Dark Net?