What does Iraq, Libya and Iran have in common?

Discussion in 'Australia, NZ, Pacific' started by dumbanddumber, Feb 18, 2012.

1. dumbanddumber

dumbanddumber New Member

I believe in this 100%, the worrying thing is will they let Iran trade in anything other than $US dollars, or is there another war looming.

2. aussiefree2ride

aussiefree2ride New Member

Watch this space. However, the last thing the USA (or most of the developed world for that matter) can afford, is a potentially internationally volatile, and hugely expensive war.

3. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Granny says, "Dat's right - we's bombin' dem jihadis in Libya...
    :grandma:
    US Strikes Kill More Than 80 Islamic State Fighters in Libya
    January 19, 2017 — U.S. airstrikes killed several dozen Islamic State fighters late Wednesday in two military camps about 45 kilometers southwest of Sirte, Libya, U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter said.

4. scarlet witch

scarlet witch Well-Known Member Past Donor

Oil trade have been in US$ since after the second word war, things have changed significantly since then and it wouldn't surprise me if there's a renewed push for change of oil trading currency... especially now with Trump the Islamophobe in office.

As far as sanctions go, I grew up in South Africa and sanctions pretty much brought about the end of apartheid. So yes very powerful method of bringing countries back in line or in South Africa's case, get them to do the moral thing.

The down side is that it slowly squeezes an economy to death..and it's far more painful for the people than the government and the rich, depending on the level of sanctions and the alternative resources available to the country being sanctioned. So what basically happen is the rich gets very rich hoarding resources and the poor gets very poor... fast.

The riots and discord that sanctions sow internally is what brings about change due to pressure on sanctioned government. If you have a heartless dictator, the people suffer much more than those who for example have someone like De Klerk in power who put the interest of his country first.

Now as far as the theory of these countries wanting to trade in other currencies go, we know the CIA have meddled in the middle east since 1950's, so yes I think there's a high probability given the level of animosity between the US and these countries