Germany is cutting solar-power subsidies because they are expensive and inefficient

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Professor Peabody, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Professor Peabody

Professor Peabody Well-Known Member Past Donor

Excellent article, read more at Slate

With the economy of the United States still dead in the water, how dumb is it the Obama administration continue to walk the same path as Germany on solar power? If you total up the solar companies that have gone bankrupt after recieving stimulus cash it has to total over a Billion dollars and those are just the ones who've gone BK so far. Solyndra, ener1, Axiom, Evergreen, Spectrawatt and many others. Are the Democrats running this country so economically incompetent that they are incapable of learning from the mistakes of others like Germany? The Republicans need 19 seats in the House and 13 in the Senate to stop the madness and the Democrats from putting out great grand kids in the poor house for life. Yes, we can in 2012.

2. Jebediah

Jebediah Banned

If you understand how solar works you will realize that it makes a heck of a lot more sense in California and Arizona and very little sense in Germany and Seattle. Most people with even a modicum of high school knowledge know this.

3. RP12

RP12 Well-Known Member

So the country with one of the worlds strongest economies doesnt have a "modicum of high school knowledge?"

4. Professor Peabody

Most people with even a modicum of high school knowledge know it makes no sense to spend hundreds of billions of dollars to power 2 states.

5. Jebediah

Jebediah Banned

Most people with even a modicum of junior high school knowledge can guess what is unique about the weather in California and Arizona and extrapolate to Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, etc.

6. kenrichaed

kenrichaed Banned

More nuclear power is the key. Till something better comes along.

Blasphemer and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Never Left

Never Left Banned

I love Germany! They recognized that leftist green ideology and immature "renewable" energy is a waste of time and money, especially when its expected to replace conventional energy. The earth religion fails again.

I think these technologies should get investment and given opportunity to advance in viability, both economically and proction capacity.

8. Jebediah

Jebediah Banned

Look at these two maps. How much education does it take to figure out where solar may make sense and where it will probably be a boondoggle?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Professor Peabody

Please re-read the OP article. There is nothing about the climate as to why the German solar industry is failing. If you have some information to that effect please post it. Your whole argument hinges on it.

10. Never Left

Never Left Banned

That looks like real science and an opportunity for economic development.

11. Jebediah

Jebediah Banned

Look at the two maps directly above your post. Hopefully from that you can figure out why I've been scratching my head about Northern European solar installations for years. I don't even need to read your article.

I was helping my parents look into some alternative energy upgrades for their house years ago. The first step with solar is to make sure you get enough light. After doing a very short search on the internet it became obvious to me that while it is hot where they live they do not get enough sun light year round to make the installation economically viable... and they live in a sunnier place than Germany. It's really not that hard to figure out.

12. RP12

RP12 Well-Known Member

Your issue is with Germany then not me.... But its more fun for you to attack posters...

13. Jebediah

Jebediah Banned

I like the idea of alternative renewable fuel sources. I hate the fact we send our money to the Middle East. If you can come up with some alternative energy source that saves money in the long run and reduces pollution why wouldn't you do it? I frankly don't see how people even turn it into a partisan issue. But if you run the numbers and solar, wind, ethanol, or whatever doesn't work then go back to the drawing board. But what you don't do is build a bunch of solar installations in a country with only a modest amount of sun light. It doesn't make any sense.

14. RP12

RP12 Well-Known Member

Spain also has had issues with Solar and "anyone with a Junior High Education" should know why it should be more successful their then in California...

15. Professor Peabody

You don't need to read the article to know all about it? That figures.

Please don't change the subject. Do you have any information that Germany's solar industry is failing due to climate. Look below.

16. Jebediah

Jebediah Banned

Anyone with a junior high school education knows the amount of sunlight is not the only criteria for a successful solar installation. Most Junior high school students know sunlight is the first thing you look for before installing solar. Germany obviously didn't have enough so it was doomed to fail regardless of whatever else was or was not going on. Pretty easy for most people to understand.

17. Jebediah

Jebediah Banned

The US get's less sunlight in winter compared to summer... Thanks for the AMAZING scientific info, Professor. Again I think most people with a Junior high school education know that already.

18. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

Which means that Der Furher will only waste .89 cents of every dollar instead of .99 cents like the Germans are.

19. RP12

RP12 Well-Known Member

So Germany was doomed to fail. You know more on the subject then an entire country.:nerd:

Spain failed for economic reasons. Spain is a better location. California and this country are both in massive debt. So why would it work right now in California when it failed in Spain and Germany.

20. Jebediah

Jebediah Banned

Nope. It's been a while since I've been in Germany but I'm pretty sure not everyone has a solar panel on their roof or thinks it's an economically viable option.

21. Bluesguy

Bluesguy Well-Known Member Donor

Most people who don't have a valid point have to issue insults. Good example.

22. Professor Peabody

I'm still waiting for you to back up your assertion Germany's solar problems are due to lack of sunlight. Can you or are you....well you know. C'mon Jeb, back up your assertion with facts.

23. Professor Peabody

No worries his posts insult himself more than me. They're so....junior high school.

24. RP12

RP12 Well-Known Member

Not what you said in your first statement.

You basically said Germany does not have a "modicum of high school knowledge"

Thank you for letting us all know you know more then Germany. ;)

25. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

How could the know-it-all Germans who American liberals worship as gods make such a stupid mistake?

Jedediah attacks conservative critics in this country but how about the super liberals in Germany?

The fact is that liberals around the globe have gotten carried away by the man-made global warming hoax and are making irrational decisions.