When Might the Upgrade Be?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Community Discussions' started by Trinnity, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Trinnity

Trinnity Banned

The updates that have been at the heading of each forum are gone now, with only a re-post of rules. That's frustrating. It's like being cut off from any current info.

We've seen some improvements, and yet some odd lockups still. I got the impression the upgrade would have been completed by now.

Can the owner give us an idea when the upgrade VBulletin 4.1 will likely occur?
    I think It helps people to be patient if they have an idea when this will happen.

We'd all just want to see things resolved. How about some info?
    It would be appreciated.

2. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

No news as yet. I am sure you will be informed when another upgrade is due.

3. Trinnity

Trinnity Banned

Thank you for responding.
    We were told the site would be upgraded to VBulletin 4.1. I hope to have that addressed by the owner, if you could forward the link to her.

4. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

It might be, it depends. These things take time and the owner does have a life outside the forum. We just have to be patient.

5. Trinnity

Trinnity Banned

We ARE being patient. I sure am.

6. Archer0915

Archer0915 New Member

Well these things can take a little time Trin. Over at my haunt it can take a while to get the bugs out and with the traffic here it is much worse. It depends on many variables and many times the web master does these things in his/her spare time.

7. Trinnity

Trinnity Banned

Yeah, I know. But the updates have been discontinued. I'm seeking general info.

8. James Cessna

James Cessna New Member

Hi, Makedde.

For several days in a row, I could not log onto Political Forum.com.

The system would just run and run and nothing would happen.

Then one day, like magic, I was able to log on to Political Forum.com and respond to discussions once again.

If this problem happens to me again, what should I do to correct it?

Thanks,

JC

9. BestViewedWithCable

BestViewedWithCable Well-Known Member

Give em time.

No matter how prepared they were, theres always gonna be some issues.

10. Yosh Shmenge

Yosh Shmenge New Member

I hope they get their stuff together.

11. Beevee

Beevee Well-Known Member Past Donor

In a single box before they leave, you mean?

12. Slyhunter

Slyhunter New Member Past Donor

This forum has sucked for months.
    When I click on a link I expect to be taken to the newest unread post but it doesn't it takes me to the last post I read during the first time I read the thread, every (*)(*)(*)(*)ing time. That's bull(*)(*)(*)(*). I have to skip pages of crap to read the last page to read the new stuff hoping there isn't more than 1 page of new stuff to read so I end up missing some (*)(*)(*)(*), like replies to my highly informative postings.

And it's also bull(*)(*)(*)(*) that you delete threads that go over 50 pages long. Sometimes it takes that many pages before it gets interesting.

There are a lot of forums out there and they don't run this badly so why can't you learn from them and fix this (*)(*)(*)(*)?

The only reason I keep coming back is I like a place to pound liberals heads in showing them the truth and the light. Although it's got too many muzzie lovers for my tastes.

One more thing there is no such thing as a cuss word. Cuss words are inventions of narrow minded individuals who are trying to forbid certain thoughts by limiting the spoken word. We should be free to say what the (*)(*)(*)(*) we want when the (*)(*)(*)(*) we want to without filters on it. (*)(*)(*)(*) the kids, if they're on this forum they need to grow up.

jthorp24 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Sir Thaddeus

Sir Thaddeus Well-Known Member Past Donor

There is a blue arrow pointing down beside each thread title. Just click there.

They are not deleted. They are locked with the option of creating a new thread that is a continuation.

HillBilly and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Slyhunter

Slyhunter New Member Past Donor

Blue arrow? I click in email the thread thats been updated and expect to be taken to the oldest unread post in the thread and I used to be taken there. Not anymore, why is it that has stopped working?

15. red states rule

red states rule New Member Past Donor

Give the staff some time to get their ducks in a row. From what I have seen, they have a pretty good size server and have ben making alot of improvements.

They know what the community wants in the board and I am sure they will deliver

16. jthorp24

jthorp24 New Member

I agree with EVERYTHING in this post. Awesome!

17. jthorp24

jthorp24 New Member

The only time it works is the first time you do it after you log on. Then if start looking at other threads and repeat the same process it takes me back to the same post.

Trinnity and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Shangrila

Shangrila staff Past Donor

I have this problem with Firefox, not with Chrome...not sure why.

19. Trinnity

Trinnity Banned

If the owner could resume the updates, you know, just once a week, that would help.

20. Beevee

Beevee Well-Known Member Past Donor

It you click on your username at the right it will lead you to a page that, amongst other things shoe 'Statistics'. Click on that which will lead you to 'All posts by Username'. Click on that and you have your last post in each thread that you have contributed to.

It may be long winded but it prevents you from reading all threads from the first onward.

21. jthorp24

jthorp24 New Member

I use safari. When I've used Internet Explorer a few times when I'm not at home it will just randomly keep logging me out... to the point where I can't even post sometimes.

22. red states rule

red states rule New Member Past Donor

I am sure the boss will come around soon enough

With the heavy traffic here, the server must have been giving the owner fits. Things seem to be getting better and I am sure the stats will be back up soon enough

23. cenydd

cenydd Well-Known Member Past Donor

There may not be anything significant to update us with!

The owner is going through a long and complicated process to prepare the forum for the upgrade, and that's going to take time - it's a huge forum, with a huge database, and add-ons to the current software which may not be compatible with the new version, and so on. There's alot to be looked into, and alot to be done. It may just be at the moment that the process is ongoing, as we know it is, but that there is just no new information to give us. There wouldn't be much point in a weekly update that just said 'still ongoing' - I think we can all safely assume that it is 'still ongoing', and I expect we'll get an update when there is something other than that to say (i.e. before the actual system change is implemented, or if something else has to change temporarily, or whatever). For the moment, there's lots of background work going on, but probably nothing really to report in terms of overall progress that will be of any significance to anyone apart from the person who is doing the work (and giving any kind of exact time estimates and so on in such a potentially long and complicated process would obviously be unwise, since any delay to a 'promised' completion date caused by unforseen issues, which are entirely likely to come up, would be likely just to cause disappointment and complaints - dealing with those complaints just takes time that the owner would be better spending on getting the job done).

In my time zone I really notice the length and regularity of the down time for maintainance, so I know the many hours of work that have been going into this. It's obviously not a quick or easy process, and there will inevitably be delays and difficulties along the way, but hopefully the end result will be a huge improvement in reliability for us all.

24. FearandLoathing

FearandLoathing Well-Known Member

Thank you for that input. as mentioned, having been in the computer software business for many years, I am more than well aware of the enormity of the task.
    Having said that we also found it wise to inform users of the changes ahead of time, estimate when they would be taking place and, most importantly, what was the ultimate aim.

In this case the work came as a surprise to many and changes were made without any explanation or information of what is the aim. Further, questions regarding this were met with hostility and condescension which only fueled more suspicion and anger. To this day there is confusion and anger over the statistics. And while I don't share the importance of them, it has to be recognized that when long term, loyal members who post daily have a feature take away there is going to be a reaction.

I doubt you will disagree that this could have been handled much better; my recommendation going forward would be to assign one individual to act as the front man and provide information wherever possible without the unnecessary derision of those people who liked the stats.

25. Trinnity

Trinnity Banned

That's a good idea. :handshake: