Has PF been hacked ?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Community Discussions' started by HillBilly, Feb 20, 2012.

1. HillBilly

HillBilly New Member Past Donor

In recent days , zombies have hacked my e-mail Yahoo mail account .

the links point to a FaceBook hacker that's also a PF member .

I've done a full system security scan , upgraded my security , cost me over $250. It's money I really needed to fix my daughters car.

I've also removed almost all my info in my CP .

only friends & Mods can access my info & albums .

If this is an example of what we can expect from the FB link , then I can well do without it . . and good riddance .

and that's all I'm gonna say.

2. Gator Monroe

Gator Monroe Banned

Someone from Overland Park Kansas hacked my FB tonite ...:disbelief:

3. Sir Thaddeus

Sir Thaddeus Well-Known Member Past Donor

No................

4. HillBilly

YES , Sir T . people are getting whacked through this PF & FB link .

and whoever it is is one clever sob .

ask Flounder & Falena . don't expect you to take my word for it .

Heroclitus and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Heroclitus

Heroclitus Well-Known Member

Hillbilly the evidence that PF has been hacked is overwhelming:

I found that YOU have given me two reps in the last few weeks;-)!

6. Sir Thaddeus

Have you done anything involving the fan page on FB?

7. HillBilly

no , SirT , I went to the link , but didn't click on it . I backed off , and wanted more info before I did .

In the meantime , last few days , I'm getting e-mails from my friends asking me about all the wierd e-mails I have sent ...

but , I haven't e-mailed anyone recently .

and the trail leads to a FaceBook member that prolly is a PF member , or a zombie .

whoever it is , he is one clever sob , I spent over $200. tonight , upgrading my security and trying to find the guy , didn't have any luck. I could spend a few hundred dollars more , and maybe have better luck , but as clever as this person is , it'd be throwing good money away .

8. HillBilly

well now , I always go out of my way to rep a good honest post , and I always rep the 'drop-a-word-add-a-word' posters .

but someone is playing games with us all on PF , and it's a dirty game being played here , and that's what I'm against .

You and I don't agree on much , but we stand openly and honestly for what we believe , I respect that ... Heroclitus ,

an outsider has broken into our PF home . and that worries me ..

how about you ?

9. Heroclitus

Heroclitus Well-Known Member

Well of course I am concerned about hacking. I have got a Facebook account but to be honest I'm scared of it so I never go there but I get e-mails telling me people are posting things on my wall or something. They must think I'm very rude that I don't write back but I want to learn how to set all the privacy settings first.

So as I don't show any links to facebook maybe I'm alright.

Hope you clear it up though.

10. The Judge

The Judge New Member Past Donor

Make sure that your firewall is active, do a scan for open ports and have a look at the firewall exceptions. Scan for viruses using different programs, such as http://www.pandasecurity.com/activescan It might not hurt to delete the cookies and remove any browser add-ins that you are not aware of. Change all of your passwords, increase the length and complexity. A good password might look kind of like this:

2FEWç%*ççf23f23*FGk9&%H56"*rg5GTç"DE"

With Facebook, you can delete all the applications. A general rules is to keep privacy at a minimum. Don't post names, numbers, addresses, birth dates, etc. anywhere. I don't use the Facebook link, since politics can get pretty crazy and risky. Also, you could install a process monitor to scan for suspicious programs running, such as http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb795533

In general, there are enough free utilities and measures one can take to be on the safe side without spending a lot of money, but one is never completely safe.

11. Viv

Viv Banned by Request

Ahahaha @ Heroclitus.:D

Maybe you just have an email virus, Hillbill. Not that I know an huge amount, the forum techies will no doubt respond to your questions in due course. But now and then, one of my recently divorced friends (I didn't say it was her ex!) sends strange emails to everyone in her address book, which grow arms and legs and duplicate and replicate to everyone on your own email contact list, unless you have the means to block the virus. It used to happen often. Then we changed provider and the new one seems to block a lot of possible issues.

I do know forums are continually interfered with by strange people and when you admin one you deal with spammers on a rolling basis. It's quite rare to see spam on this board, comparatively speaking they are vigilant.

As to Facebook, I'm with Hero. I don't really like it and have thought I blocked everyone but friends only to find the friends of my friends are able to read my page. I only twigged this when I found the security setting to make it so that only my actual friends can read my page. I changed it so only friends can view it. Then all of a sudden all these hangers-on sent friend requests because they were missing the junk I post on FB...:disbelief:

HillBilly and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Shangrila

Shangrila staff Past Donor

Its certainly worrisome to have this happen, but perhaps it would help to look at the Yahoo EM account first.
    Many people send around chain mail, and an EM account can easily be copied and abused by anyone at the receiving end of such mail.
    Anything is possible, of course.

13. Sir Thaddeus

Then there is no way that the FB page has anything to do with your apparent problem.

14. Rapunzel

Rapunzel New Member Past Donor

This site has been hacked, why do you lie??? The owner just said the other day about being hacked by spammers. So, I imagine it is much worse than we were told.

15. Sir Thaddeus

That had nothing to do with the FB page. That was a result of e-mailing members who haven't posted in a while.

16. Rapunzel

Well the title of this thread is "Has PF been hacked". You said NO and that is not true.

It may not have anything to do with FB, but this site has been hacked on more than one occasion.

What do you mean by emailing members who haven't posted in awhile? What happened?

17. HillBilly

You may be right , Sir T , or maybe not .

I made this thread to see if anyone else is having the same trouble .

If no one is , then somebody out there has a personal grudge against me prolly and has a real smart computer & equipment .

me , I'm a pc dummy . I hit the start button , and away I go . I still ain't figured out how to multi-quote or even how to use the perma-link , lol .

I can build a fire in the pouring rain , make camp in a blizzard , clean my guns blindfolded , shave with my razor sharp Puma , but when it comes to a computer , I'm a dummy.

However , I know enough to know when I'm whacked .

I don't know who whacked me , or why ? prolly never will , but if it's just my pc , that'd be great .. that'd mean it's not a PF wide whack .

and that's why I made the thread , to try and find out .

18. Sir Thaddeus

It wasn't a hack. The owner wanted to send an e-mail to members who haven't posted in a while to invite them back. Some spammers (probably bots) got e-mails accidentally and accepted the invitation.

Viv and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Viv

Viv Banned by Request

You've at least established no one else seems to have the same problem so far.:thumbsup:

How can you not multiquote? Instead of clicking Quote, just click the + at the bottom of the post you want to quote. Then click the + on the next post you want to quote. Then click Post Reply.
    It brings up all your quotes in the reply window, then proceed as normal...write your post and hit submit.

20. Cal

Cal Banned

I've had no problems with PF or it's facebook, and as much as I am on facebook, I would have noticed if I had been hacked. I doubt a hacker would go after a single user. There is tons of virus apps on facebook, and phishing attempts come to my inbox everyday, did you accidentally click on one?

21. Rapunzel

OK...I'm not that naive...but OK

22. Beevee

Beevee Well-Known Member Past Donor

Why not just reset your password?

23. Sir Thaddeus

Naive is the wrong choice of word.

24. TheHat

TheHat Well-Known Member

Hillbilly, are you certain the hack came from PF?

25. Rapunzel

1. Lacking worldly experience and understanding.

No, it is not the wrong choice of word. You're a mod huh??? And all you can do instead of answering my questions is to insult???

Must have hit a nerve.