Rudd or Gillard, your prediction as of Thursday, 23 Feb. 2012

Discussion in 'Australia, NZ, Pacific' started by m2catter, Feb 23, 2012.

?

Rudd or Gillard, whom will Labor's Caucus go for?

Poll closed Feb 27, 2012.
  1. Rudd

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Gillard

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. m2catter

m2catter Well-Known Member

So, in a couple of days we all know more....
    But until then take a pick: Who, in your opinion, will take the lead?
    We all know what the Australian public want, but whom will the Labor's Caucus go for?

Rudd or Gillard?

Although I like to see Rudd, I think they go for Gillard............

2. Oxyboy

Oxyboy New Member

Be a few nervous MP's out there thinking about another term....

Might be closer than people think.

IF Rudd does contest and loses, i wonder if a few might quit in protets?

3. DominorVobis

DominorVobis Banned at Members Request

Rudd is my guess and wish.

The caucus surely cannot go so strongly against the public opinion.

As for me, both Rudd and Abbot are peculiar among politicians in that they are human, genuine and well, just blokes. Sure they are the inverse of each other but that's good, together they are a unit. I believe that only Rudd could challenge Abbot.

Neither are extremely bright when faced with the media, but they are both pretty straight up.

I firmly believe we will be significantly worse off under Abbot.

4. parker

parker New Member

I said Gillard in another thread but I have changed my mind on the issue.

Every caucus member who holds a marginal seat would be mental to support Gillard considering the polls. I think that more and more people are into the realm where their seats are in danger, if they value their seat, they should realise that Rudd is their candidate.

We also have to look at the fact that Rudd already had frontbench supporters in the party such as Kim Carr and Robert McClelland and that positions could be offered to those with waivering loyalty such as Chris Bowen.

The simple fact is that Kevin Rudd is the only person who has any chance of leading the ALP to a victory at the election and caucus members who really care about the party know that the party is best served being in government and Kevin Rudd is the only candidate that can keep the ALP in government in the long term.

Makedde and (deleted member) like this.
  5. OzJosh

OzJosh New Member

As much as I'd like to see Rudd return and never hear Gillard's nasal twang ever again, I fear she'll probably win this round. But in doing so, she only digs the ALP into an even bigger hole. A huge majority of traditional Labor voters will never accept her, or the way she came to power, or the manner in which she's conducted herself since. And now her supporters are indulging in a mass orgy of self-destruction as they rush to bad-mouth Rudd. In doing so they're all too often confirming their disloyalty to him while he was PM, they're aligning themselves with the power brokers behind the coup (who represent everything that's wrong with the ALP), and they're insulting a man who has more than twice the public support that Gillard has. One has to wonder at what point they think it would be a good idea to act in accordance with what their electors clearly want.

6. aussiefree2ride

aussiefree2ride New Member

Gillard digs a deeper hole for herself every time she opens her mouth. Wednesday, I think it was, she threw a tantrum at a journo for asking if she was in on the Rudd back stab. on Thursday, she spewed a pile of invective about what a hopeless PM Rudd was. Can`t have it both ways Julia.

7. Adultmale

Adultmale Active Member Past Donor

Juliar is demonstrating her weak leadership by even allowing Kruddy Clown to challenge her. A strong leader would have buried Cardboard Kev long ago. A strong leader would have the maturity and statesmanship not to fall to the gutter level of a public slanging match. Neither of them is fit to be the Prime Minister of Australia.

8. Watch out Liberal Voters

Watch out Liberal Voters New Member Past Donor

I think you are totally correct about the fact that we will be far worse off under Tony (The Taxi) Abbott. However when you say neither of them are too bright....Kevin is very bright but Tony is Dull to be nice ..2 Bricks more like it........... and lest we forget.. he is the last bastard of the Howard Gvt.
    He is the only one who hasn't worked out yet that he is History ...
    Kevin killed the rest...even when he wasn't expected to win....even Rotten Old Howard....lost his seat....Fantastic.....Lest we forget what Kevin07 did
    not to mention the Sorry ... to the indigeneous people...

The caucus surely cannot go so strongly against the public opinion.

As for me, both Rudd and Abbot are peculiar among politicians in that they are human, genuine and well, just blokes. Sure they are the inverse of each other but that's good, together they are a unit. I believe that only Rudd could challenge Abbot.

Neither are extremely bright when faced with the media, but they are both pretty straight up.

I firmly believe we will be significantly worse off under Abbot.[/QUOTE]

9. Oxyboy

Oxyboy New Member

[/QUOTE]

OMFG, another "i hate Howard" blaa blaa blaa

I have a sneaking suspicion that Abbott is probably just a little bit smarter than you.:shh:

10. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

They'll go for Gillard.

11. DominorVobis

I never meant Kevin wasn't bright, but does not really present a polished appearance.

12. parker

parker New Member

13. axialturban

axialturban Well-Known Member

Rudd seems to have a good memory for detail, but his demour is off kilter and probably has something to do with those anger issues which ppl can see hiding behind his eyes at all time. I think Abbott is smart but might have a touch of ADHD or something as his thoughts seem to move quicker then his mouth can keep up meaning he ends up sounding like his foot is trying to end up in his mouth. Thats no reason to call someone dumb though.

14. AdrianW

AdrianW New Member

Gillard says that it's not a popularity contest which is a pretty dumb thing for a politician to say. If you're unpopular you are unelectable and she IS unelectable.
    The only reason why she got a lot more of the BIG things done is that Labor was so on the nose when they scraped back in, a lot of their votes went to the Greens and the Left got control of the Senate. That guaranteed the CPRS, Carbon Tax, indexing of the medicare rebate etc. All the things that Rudd wanted to do but couldn't get past a hostile Senate.

15. Recusant

Recusant Active Member

Six all at this stage.

For what it's worth, i think Gillard will wipe the floor with him.

Then, i think the public will wipe the floor with Gillard.

I haven't voted Labor for nearly 20 years, but i more often than not agree with their policies. Unfortunately, many of their 'ideals' don't happen thanks to concerted efforts from rich people or corporations, but at least they put it on the agenda (sometimes).

...but this fiasco, i mean, ugh. Only the most hardened Labor supporter could tolerate this.

16. Adultmale

Adultmale Active Member Past Donor

Baby, what is your problem with 'rich people'?

17. DominorVobis

Not sure what she thinks but for me, where do I start. I am a man of my convictions so I gave up a 6 figure job as I was uncomfortable around high salary earners and their greed

18. parker

parker New Member

I consider myself a Labor Voter but I can't stomach this much more. I can't vote for a Gillard led Labor and would struggle to vote for a Rudd led Labor.

I will almost certainly be voting for the Greens at the election.

19. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

I have always voted to the left of the spectrum but this is just a joke! Meanwhile though there is the Queensland election and I am wondering if I can actually manage to get myself to vote liberal just once in my life

20. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Banned

Rarely do I agree with Oxy.

But this, ... yes!

21. aussiefree2ride

aussiefree2ride New Member

Neither Gillard and Rudd are leadership material, but ultimately, the problems with the ALP are factionalisation, internal conflice and corruption, and excessive external influence (union ownership), the unions select, elect, and dispose of all ALP politicians.
    The ALP is a basket case.

22. Recusant

Recusant Active Member

What a good article:

http://www.crispinhull.com.au/2012/02/25/union-money-source-of-alp-strife/

23. Recusant

Recusant Active Member

I'm not sure it's possible to be rich and be ethical; it always seems to involve exploitation somewhere. The greater the wealth, the greater the exploitation.

There's many more reasons too complex to go in to here.

Let me also rephrase my earlier comment:
    "i more often than not agree with their policies"
    with
    "i more often than not agree with their policies, in as far as they go".

24. Recusant

Recusant Active Member

I imagine quite a few Labor people will make that move. The intellectual ones, and the environment concious ones. The working and middle class who think (many without looking) that the Libs better represent their interests (and there's a lot of them) will be the ones to give Abbott a victory.

I just wish the Labor party would sit down and identify what it is they want to represent. If that is only likely to garner 30% of the vote - then so be it. I hate it when any party doesn't have a 'base', or rather, they don't stick to their base. I guess one could argue the base is the union. Well, if so - they should just be a union party and embrace it. As for the Libs, well they pretend to represent the interests of us commoners, but if they are true to their ideals, they will focus heavily on the ruling classes (Work Choices was restrained compared to what they wanted to do, or ought to if true to their ideals). The same goes for the Greens. They can have a broad agenda, no problem - but they should be honest about it and not keep it quiet in the hope that enough poorly informed voters will overlook it.

But, if this were to happen we'd probably have about a 30 year Liberal term, because of our absurd two-party system. The senate is better, usually somewhat more representative. It doesn't make sense to me that if, for example, the Greens get 20% of the vote nationally, that they should only get 3% of the seats. [i just plucked those figures out of thin air]. It would also require a new-age media that is entirely not-for-profit.

Ha! Nirvana!

25. m2catter

m2catter Well-Known Member

yeap,
    I think you are pretty much right.
    Looking towards Europe, it is surprising how many people nowadays vote for the Greens, even in a highly industrialized country like Germany.
    So obviously people are not too afarid of those ideas or ideologies, and can see a greener/better future despite building plenty of cars.
    They tend not to get confused or accept the demonised picture which is created here.
    However I expect more Green voters at the next election, but unfortunately I see many more, who don't care about politics, and who will go for Abbotts....