+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple question about car insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Big George View Post
    It does NOT matter whether or not you intended to cause the damages. The fact that you DID cause the damages means that YOU are liable for them.

Again, either carry car insurance or don't drive.
    And I might accidently run over you on my bicycle as well, but i am not required to have bicycle insurance.
    If a person needs to resort to insults and rudeness, then they have already lost the argument. -- Anonymous

Judge a man not by the color of his skin but by the contents of his character". -- MLK

There are plenty of cases of racism in this world that deserve our attention, that we don't need to 'create' racial situations where none exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Big George View Post
    It violates MY rights. Why? Because I don't deserve to have some idiot careen through a stoplight and t-bone me. But if/when that happens, said idiot BETTER be prepared to pay for the damages HE/YOU cauased.
    So, even if I do nothing to you, you have the right to force me to pay, just in case I do? That's exactly what you're saying here.

That's no different than me saying that just in case you run into me and make me trip and sprain my ankle on the sidewalk, that I should be able to force you to pay for health insurance. Is that just? No, it's moronic. And it's exactly what you're suggesting.

Are you rightwingers supposed to be in favor of liberty over security? You're the exact opposite on this issue.

usa us wisconsin
    My Latest Mood: Aggressive

Quote Originally Posted by DeathStar View Post
    So, even if I do nothing to you, you have the right to force me to pay, just in case I do? That's exactly what you're saying here.

That's no different than me saying that just in case you run into me and make me trip and sprain my ankle on the sidewalk, that I should be able to force you to pay for health insurance. Is that just? No, it's moronic. And it's exactly what you're suggesting.

Are you rightwingers supposed to be in favor of liberty over security? You're the exact opposite on this issue.
    Should you be able to drive a car without having the responsibility to learn the rules of the road?

There's "libertarian", and then there's stupid. Don't blur the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Subdermal View Post
    Convoluted post of stupidity.

Driving is not a right; it is a privilege.
    Spoken like a true Marxist. If I buy a car with my own money and gas with my own money, I have the right to drive whenever the hell I want, UP UNTIL I violate someone's rights by doing so.

Insurance is a responsibility that comes with accepting that privilege. If you do not carry insurance, you'd better have the financial wherewithall to pay for damages. If you do not, all you're doing is elevating MY costs by forcing insurance companies to adjust for irresponsible people like you, and reflecting that increased cost on my own bill.
    Very good point. I think I should be able to force you to buy health insurance just in case you run into me somewhere, causing me to fall and sprain my ankle. Obamacare, anyone? That's exactly what you're suggesting we have, only in a slightly different situation. You, like Obama, are supporting security over liberty. Forcing me to buy car insurance when I don't want it is a violation of my liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Subdermal View Post
    Should you be able to drive a car without having the responsibility to learn the rules of the road?
    That's not even remotely comparable, but in any case, where do you draw the fine line between me being a proficient driver and a bad one? That's up for subjectivity and personal interpretation. One person could say I'm "good enough" and another could say I'm not good enough. There's no completely objective standard for that.

There's "libertarian", and then there's stupid. Don't blur the line.
    What's stupid, is forcing people to buy products. When you do that, the companies that make said products don't have an incentive to make those products good. Period. That's why car insurance is so expensive and (*)(*)(*)(*)ty.

6. Default

Okay, lets pretend you are in my crimalien state of Texas.

Last time my wife got hit by another car, by the time the police got there, no one from the other car was left as it turned out they were either drunk/crimaliens or both.
    If we didn't have insurance($500 deductable), we would be without a car and a rental during our carless repair.

Time before... wife ran over a concrete sidewalk divider which dropped from a truck while she was on the interstate and it severely damaged her car.
    Police could not identify the truck and so our car was undrivable. This time, had increased our deductable to $1K and couldn't afford the repair.
    So, we bought a $1500 car junk with good stickers and am driving it. Just got the other car fixed, outside of the deductable and a claim and it cost use about $600.

So, in a big city of criminals and crimaliens, we need insurance against their automotive crimes.

usa us wisconsin

Spoken like a true Marxist. If I buy a car with my own money and gas with my own money, I have the right to drive whenever the hell I want, UP UNTIL I violate someone's rights by doing so.
    Let me clarify for you the difference between a right and a privilege. A right doesn't have the potential to take someone else's.

If you are engaging in behaviour with that potential, you're not engaged in a 'right', you're engaging in a societally provided privilege. I know you want to whine and caterwaul about Marxism, etc, but your bleat doesn't change facts here.

Very good point. I think I should be able to force you to buy health insurance just in case you run into me somewhere, causing me to fall and sprain my ankle.
    That isn't health insurance, genius. That's personal liability insurance, and you should have it - or the means to pay for your misdeeds.

Capisce?

Obamacare, anyone? That's exactly what you're suggesting we have, only in a slightly different situation. You, like Obama, are supporting security over liberty. Forcing me to buy car insurance when I don't want it is a violation of my liberty.
    Leftist libertarians need to make more sense. Your analogy to health insurance fails badly. My poor health cannot cause yours.
    Last edited by Subdermal; Feb 23 2012 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by govtdog View Post
    Okay, lets pretend you are in my crimalien state of Texas.

Last time my wife got hit by another car, by the time the police got there, no one from the other car was left as it turned out they were either drunk/crimaliens or both.
    If we didn't have insurance($500 deductable), we would be without a car and a rental during our carless repair.

Time before... wife ran over a concrete sidewalk divider which dropped from a truck while she was on the interstate and it severely damaged her car.
    Police could not identify the truck and so our car was undrivable. This time, had increased our deductable to $1K and couldn't afford the repair.
    So, we bought a $1500 car junk with good stickers and am driving it. Just got the other car fixed, outside of the deductable and a claim and it cost use about $600.

So, in a big city of criminals and crimaliens, we need insurance against their automotive crimes.
    So, is your solution to force ME to pay for your damages?

usa us wisconsin

That's not even remotely comparable, but in any case, where do you draw the fine line between me being a proficient driver and a bad one? That's up for subjectivity and personal interpretation. One person could say I'm "good enough" and another could say I'm not good enough. There's no completely objective standard for that.

What's stupid, is forcing people to buy products. When you do that, the companies that make said products don't have an incentive to make those products good. Period. That's why car insurance is so expensive and (*)(*)(*)(*)ty.
    You're not forced to buy insurance, just as you're not forced to drive a car. You do so if you find it necessary or convenient, and you obey societal laws in the process that have been agreed upon in exchange for your supposed symbiotic relationship with your peers.

You should have insurance because you cannot guarantee against causing an accident and bodily harm against others. If you can demonstrate financial ability to pay for damages, no insurance should be needed.

10. Default

You can sue someone, you can win. but that does not mean you will collect money.

So, you must carry liability insurance, to insure that if something happens to someone's car, they get paid. If paying that small fee is a big deal, then don't drive. I like the idea at the very least, damages to my vehicle are paid.
    There is no love in Fear.

Feminism is pretty much an all whites club pretending to be concerned with equal rights of racial minorities.

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast