Simple question about car insurance

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by DeathStar, Feb 23, 2012.

1. DeathStar

DeathStar Banned

Simple question. Who's rights does it violate for me to not pay for car insurance, if I don't want it?

Car insurance is only mandatory because Big Car lobbyists, like all Big Business/Corporation people, bribed the government into making regulations/rules that benefits them unjustly. You leftists will say "so burn the corporations!!" and you rightists will say "so burn the government!!" but I'd say that they're both equally as guilty; if I (corporations) pay you (the government) to shoot someone (make unwarranted regulations), whom of us is guilty? BOTH of us are guilty.

If I weren't FORCED to pay for car insurance, then car insurance companies would, rather than relying on me being FORCED to buy their product, have to ATTRACT me to VOLUNTARILY buy their product. They'd have to make it less expensive and/or give better coverage.

Now I know what you're thinking.

"But what if you wreck my car, who's gonna pay for it??"

Answer - First of all, if you have car insurance, they could pay for it if the coverage is good enough. You could theoretically sue me for damages, but then again this assumes that it was completely my fault. It wouldn't be as though I purposely went and (*)(*)(*)(*)ed up your car, so I don't think I should have to pay for 100% of that anyways; it would be unintentional. Also, you should have thought about that before voluntarily getting on the road and driving, knowing the risks. Personal responsibility, eh?

I refuse to let you limit my economic freedom in this instance, in order to salvage your security. PERIOD.

"Wouldn't they charge way more for cars then?"

Answer - The only reason why cars are so expensive now is because Big Car is in bed with the government. I'm forced to either drive an "authorized vehicle" or else not drive on the road. I could theoretically build my own vehicle that costed all of a couple/few hundred bucks if I wanted to, but Big Car and the government won't let that happen because Big Car wants to force us to buy their products, and the government lets it happened because they're being BRIBED by Big Car. If you deny this, you're a Corporate propagandist.

I don't see why anything else would be necessary to say in this OP. My point is either through your skull at this point, or your skull is too thick than to be penetrable.

2. govtdog

govtdog Member

Actually, I don't think you have to buy insurance in any state if you go ahead and set aside a large escrow account which can pay for any damages you do to other's property as well as your own cars/trucks which haven't yet been paid off at the bank.
    So, you are right... you don't have to have car insurrance to cover the rest of us but most folks just don't have the million to put aside in a seperate account to cover it. Hope that helps.

3. DeathStar

DeathStar Banned

My OP addresses everything you just said. Why should I have to necessarily pay for 100% of damages to your car, if I didn't intentionally cause them? You purposely and voluntarily took the risks of going on the road.

4. Big George

Big George Banned

What a load of hooey.

YOU are required to carry automobile insurance because if you run into me, or somebody else, SOMEBODY needs to pay for the damages, and needs to pay for other things such as health care, disability, etc.

And anybody knows that YOU are not responsible enough to pay for it yourself.

Either grow up and carry insurance, or don't drive.

5. Big George

Big George Banned

It does NOT matter whether or not you intended to cause the damages. The fact that you DID cause the damages means that YOU are liable for them.

Again, either carry car insurance or don't drive.

6. DeathStar

DeathStar Banned

Then you can sue me if you want. But you are obviously in support of security over liberty on this issue.

If me and a group of buddies goes to play a game of football, and someone gets hurt, should I/we have to pay for all their medical bills, even if I/we didn't intentionally cause harm to them? Why or why not?

7. DeathStar

DeathStar Banned

Who's rights does it violate for me to not buy car insurance? If the government FORCES me to buy car insurance, that's a violation of my rights to property.

Also, if car insurance were voluntary, they'd have to ATTRACT us VOLUNTARILY to buy their products. Car insurance would get way better. Are you not smart enough to understand this and realize it's significance?

8. Big George

Big George Banned

It violates MY rights. Why? Because I don't deserve to have some idiot careen through a stoplight and t-bone me. But if/when that happens, said idiot BETTER be prepared to pay for the damages HE/YOU cauased.

If you don't like it, stay home.

9. JohnnyMo

JohnnyMo Moderator Staff Member Donor

Suing does no good if you have no assets.

Have to agree, buy insurance or stay off the road.

10. Subdermal

Subdermal Banned

Convoluted post of stupidity.

Driving is not a right; it is a privilege. Insurance is a responsibility that comes with accepting that privilege. If you do not carry insurance, you'd better have the financial wherewithall to pay for damages. If you do not, all you're doing is elevating MY costs by forcing insurance companies to adjust for irresponsible people like you, and reflecting that increased cost on my own bill.

It isn't just the cost of car damage. You obviously haven't even considered injury in your addled post.

I've been hit by uninsured motorists twice in my life. That they had no insurance was predictable; they looked the part.

I wonder what you look like.

11. Nunya D.

Nunya D. Well-Known Member

And I might accidently run over you on my bicycle as well, but i am not required to have bicycle insurance.

DeathStar and (deleted member) like this.
  12. DeathStar

DeathStar Banned

So, even if I do nothing to you, you have the right to force me to pay, just in case I do? That's exactly what you're saying here.

That's no different than me saying that just in case you run into me and make me trip and sprain my ankle on the sidewalk, that I should be able to force you to pay for health insurance. Is that just? No, it's moronic. And it's exactly what you're suggesting.

Are you rightwingers supposed to be in favor of liberty over security? You're the exact opposite on this issue.

13. Subdermal

Subdermal Banned

Should you be able to drive a car without having the responsibility to learn the rules of the road?

There's "libertarian", and then there's stupid. Don't blur the line.

14. DeathStar

DeathStar Banned

Spoken like a true Marxist. If I buy a car with my own money and gas with my own money, I have the right to drive whenever the hell I want, UP UNTIL I violate someone's rights by doing so.

Very good point. I think I should be able to force you to buy health insurance just in case you run into me somewhere, causing me to fall and sprain my ankle. Obamacare, anyone? That's exactly what you're suggesting we have, only in a slightly different situation. You, like Obama, are supporting security over liberty. Forcing me to buy car insurance when I don't want it is a violation of my liberty.

15. DeathStar

DeathStar Banned

That's not even remotely comparable, but in any case, where do you draw the fine line between me being a proficient driver and a bad one? That's up for subjectivity and personal interpretation. One person could say I'm "good enough" and another could say I'm not good enough. There's no completely objective standard for that.

What's stupid, is forcing people to buy products. When you do that, the companies that make said products don't have an incentive to make those products good. Period. That's why car insurance is so expensive and (*)(*)(*)(*)ty.

16. govtdog

govtdog Member

Okay, lets pretend you are in my crimalien state of Texas.

Last time my wife got hit by another car, by the time the police got there, no one from the other car was left as it turned out they were either drunk/crimaliens or both.
    If we didn't have insurance($500 deductable), we would be without a car and a rental during our carless repair.

Time before... wife ran over a concrete sidewalk divider which dropped from a truck while she was on the interstate and it severely damaged her car.
    Police could not identify the truck and so our car was undrivable. This time, had increased our deductable to $1K and couldn't afford the repair.
    So, we bought a $1500 car junk with good stickers and am driving it. Just got the other car fixed, outside of the deductable and a claim and it cost use about $600.

So, in a big city of criminals and crimaliens, we need insurance against their automotive crimes.

17. Subdermal

Subdermal Banned

Let me clarify for you the difference between a right and a privilege. A right doesn't have the potential to take someone else's.

If you are engaging in behaviour with that potential, you're not engaged in a 'right', you're engaging in a societally provided privilege. I know you want to whine and caterwaul about Marxism, etc, but your bleat doesn't change facts here.

That isn't health insurance, genius. That's personal liability insurance, and you should have it - or the means to pay for your misdeeds.

Capisce?

Leftist libertarians need to make more sense. Your analogy to health insurance fails badly. My poor health cannot cause yours.

18. DeathStar

DeathStar Banned

So, is your solution to force ME to pay for your damages?

19. Subdermal

Subdermal Banned

You're not forced to buy insurance, just as you're not forced to drive a car. You do so if you find it necessary or convenient, and you obey societal laws in the process that have been agreed upon in exchange for your supposed symbiotic relationship with your peers.

You should have insurance because you cannot guarantee against causing an accident and bodily harm against others. If you can demonstrate financial ability to pay for damages, no insurance should be needed.

20. Wolverine

Wolverine New Member Past Donor

You can sue someone, you can win. but that does not mean you will collect money.

So, you must carry liability insurance, to insure that if something happens to someone's car, they get paid. If paying that small fee is a big deal, then don't drive. I like the idea at the very least, damages to my vehicle are paid.

21. DeathStar

DeathStar Banned

That's the word: potential. I am, in most circumstances, more of a fan of "no actual victim, no actual crime".

Also, you have to consider the hugely important economic damage caused by Big Car Insurance Lobby. If we weren't forced to pay for socialized car insurance, people would think twice, maybe even three times, about buying big ass gas guzzling expensive ass vehicles. Part of the reason why vehicles are so expensive is because of socialized car insurance.

People don't have to weigh the TRUE risks of buying big huge expensive vehicles and driving them at high speeds alongside other such high speed vehicles, because of socialized car insurance.

Ok. Well we'll call it "personal liability insurance". Do you think I should be allowed to force you to pay for a potential sprained ankle of mine in case we bump into each other on a sidewalk, for instance? Why or why not?

22. DeathStar

DeathStar Banned

You have to consider the economic consequences of this. First of all if car insurance weren't socialized and were voluntary, car insurance companies would have an incentive to give you better coverage and/or low costs because they'd have to voluntarily attract you to them, rather than rely on government force.

Also, people would again, have to consider the actual risks of the obviously dangerous feat of driving at high speeds alongside big huge objects that obviously have the force to crush their bodies and vehicles in an accident.

Car companies would have an incentive to build cars that weren't made of plastic/aluminum, people would have an incentive to buy less costly cars (because they'd have to think twice about buying a big huge expensive one), and Big Car/Big Car Insurance would stop immorally transferring wealth and resources to itself. Those freed up resources/wealth would be pumped back into the rest of the economy.

When governments, or anyone, forces people to buy products, bad things happen. Bottom line.

23. Krypt

Krypt New Member

As others have mentioned...two major factors play into this...

1. If you don't have insurance and you are AT FAULT in an accident, you are responsible for the financial outcome. If you don't have the funds and/or assets to cover it, then how is the other party compensated for your actions?

2. Driving is a privilege. There are other forms of transportation that don't violate your civil rights. You don't need car insurance to ride a bicycle or take public transportation.

24. Subdermal

Subdermal Banned

You cannot guarantee against accident, so you must protect others from your potential if you're engaging in a privilege granted by society.

The privilege is manifest in your license to do so. Without it, you cannot legally drive, nor should you - and you can be thrown in jail for willfully violating the rules of granted privilege.

Is this unclear to you?

This is manure. This is just another hastily constructed windmill for you to joust.

Addled response. Larger vehicles cost more to insure; not less. If no insurance was necessary, people would buy larger more gas-guzzling cars more often because they'd have more money to spend on gas.

I can see how much thought you've put into your answers. :rolleyes:

There is no corollation between insurance costs and the cost of a vehicle. That's idiotic.

I'm stopping here. Your posts are breaking records for stupidity.

25. DeathStar

DeathStar Banned

But that's no different than me telling you that you can't walk on the sidewalk without paying for some company's services just in case you walk into me. It's an outright violation of liberty. I'm not 100% libertarian, but that is too far for me.

I'm..pretty sure I'd want to buy a less expensive vehicle if I knew it wasn't covered by car insurance. If I had the option of not paying for car insurance, and I chose not to buy it (because it's a ponzi-scheme), I wouldn't want to buy a highly expensive one because that'd be more risk.

Risk-reward. Socialized car insurance, and socialized health insurance, socialized money-loaning, etc., makes people take more risks than they would, if these things didn't exist. Is that not obvious???

You remind me of Republican Ron Paul haters.