Los Angeles Police Chief Wants Driver's Licenses for Undocumented Immigrants

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by DonGlock26, Feb 23, 2012.

1. DonGlock26

DonGlock26 New Member Past Donor

Los Angeles Police Chief Wants Driver's Licenses for Undocumented Immigrants

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/ne...ted-immigrants/?test=latestnews#ixzz1nFpsHy00

Los Angeles, Calif. – The Los Angeles police chief favors allowing undocumented immigrants to drive because, he says, it will make the roads safer for everyone.
    The chief, Charlie Beck, said he does not necessarily support issuing them standard driver’s licenses, but perhaps a special document that would show their identity, and provide proof that they have the skills to drive legally in the state.
    Beck, who expressed his views in an interview Wednesday with the Los Angeles Times, argued that the state has failed to reduce the number of undocumented immigrants driving without a license.
    "The reality is that all the things that we've done — 'we' being the state of California — over the last 14, 16 years have not reduced the problem one iota, haven't reduced undocumented aliens driving without licenses,” Beck said.
    “So we have to look at what we're doing. When something doesn't work over and over and over again, my view is that you should reexamine it to see if there is another way that makes more sense."
    The chief concern is safety on the road by forcing all drivers to take the rigorous testing to get a license, and the ability of police to identify the people they encounter, Beck said.
    "Why wouldn't you want to put people through a rigorous testing process? Why wouldn't you want to better identify people who are going to be here?" Beck told the Times. "It doesn't make any sense to me. And we could increase safety on the roads. When you make things illegal you cause a lot of other things by chain reaction."
    One type of crime Beck believes would decrease is hit-and-run accidents, because undocumented immigrant drivers wouldn't have to fear being caught without a license at the scene, he said.
    Best Pictures of the Week
    In recent months, Beck has pushed for changes to the LAPD's vehicle impound rules, which would ease fines faced by unlicensed drivers who have their cars towed and impounded.
    Police commissioners were due to vote on the policy last week, but the Legislative Counsel Bureau, which advises state legislators, said local government doesn't have the authority to change the policy.
    Currently, those caught driving without a valid license, including those who have had their licenses suspended or revoked, can have their cars impounded for up to 30 days.
    Towing and impound charges often top $1,000, and advocates for the poor and immigrants say the punishment outweighs the wrong.
    The vote was rescheduled for Feb. 28.
    Beck said licenses issued to undocumented immigrants should be different than regular ones, such as a provisional license or a non-resident license.

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/ne...ted-immigrants/?test=latestnews#ixzz1nFq35NtW

Why would we document illegal aliens for driving? They are ILLEGAL, chief! PC is killing this nation bit by bit. America, you have to remove these Democrats from office.

_

2. Gator Monroe

Gator Monroe Banned

And we can pay for their Insurance Coverage too ???:phonecall:

3. Professor Peabody

Professor Peabody Well-Known Member Past Donor

2 of the 9/11 hijackers had California Driver's licenses. They were stopped for a traffic violation on their way to the east cost before the attacks. One can only wonder what would have happened had they no access to driver's licenses.

4. EMTdaniel86

EMTdaniel86 Banned

This is California, what do you expect. Liberals love illegals.

5. RichT2705

RichT2705 Well-Known Member Past Donor

LA Chief needs to be fired.

6. Professor Peabody

Professor Peabody Well-Known Member Past Donor

All three, "Politically Correct" Charlie Beck, Mayor Antonio Vivalaraza and Sheriff "CaCa" Lee Baca need to be sent packing.

7. Jebediah

Jebediah Banned

That is true. People that live in border states are terrified of being hit by an illegal alien.

8. Roadvirus

Roadvirus Well-Known Member

It isn't just the chief of police. It's the hispanic mayor who encourages defying the laws of this country.

9. Think for myself

Think for myself Well-Known Member Past Donor

The reasoning behind it is in the first sentence of the article in the OP.

The Los Angeles police chief favors allowing undocumented immigrants to drive because, he says, it will make the roads safer for everyone

Is it the job of the LAPD to enforce federal immigration law? Or to keep the folks of LA safe?

Now if illegals are going to drive, wouldn't it be better to ensure that they meet the minimum qualification for driving? That they know how to?

10. DonGlock26

Then, they must be furious with Obama's purposeful inaction.

_

11. DonGlock26

Doesn't the Obama admin. sue anyone that tries?

_

12. Dr. Righteous

Dr. Righteous Well-Known Member

WTF! I'm so sick of this political garbage. Illegal aliens should be arrested and deported IMMEDIATELY with ZERO exception!!!!

13. Think for myself

Sue anyone that tries what?

14. Roadvirus

Roadvirus Well-Known Member

The LAPD is suppose to enforce ALL laws, including immigration laws. And enforcing immigration laws keeps the folks of LA safe.

They shouldn't be driving at all. They are breaking the law by just being in the United States.

Brewskier and (deleted member) like this.
  15. DonGlock26

The attempt to "enforce federal immigration law".

_

16. Think for myself

Okay, and they are here, and until someone figures out a way to deport up to 10,000,000 people it would appear they are going to stay here.

So if they are driving, should we not ensure that they have the skills necessary to prevent as much injury or death as possible?

17. Think for myself

If you say so. Personally, I do not think that is an accurate reflection of the situation.

18. Brewskier

Brewskier Well-Known Member

Even if they offer them the ability to get drivers licenses, a huge percentage of these illegals are not going to want one. Illegals like living off the grid, and the idea of being in a US database is something that will scare them into not pursuing this. Sure, right now we're bending over backwards to make their illegal occupation of this country as comfy as possible. If we eventually get sane leadership who realizes that illegals are leeches on our society, we may go forward with deporting as many as possible. The illegals in the database will be located a lot easier than the ones living off the grid.

This isn't about public safety. This is about pushing the leftist amnesty agenda. Next step is giving these illegals the right to vote.

19. DonGlock26

Obama is suing the states trying to halt illegal immigration.

_

20. Think for myself

If you say so.

21. Dr. Righteous

Dr. Righteous Well-Known Member

Guess which presidential candidate is the only one who deport illegals?

22. DonGlock26

It's bigger than that. It's reality.

_

23. Gator Monroe

Gator Monroe Banned

Wow just wow , this IS actuially in the pipeline ...:eyepopping:

24. Gator Monroe

Gator Monroe Banned

The one who is disbanding the ICE training for Regular Police & Sherriff Departments Nationwide ?

25. Really People?

Really People? New Member

I don't see why anyone undocumented should be entitled to a driver's license...