How many have heard of the "right" to abort right before birth?

Discussion in 'Abortion' started by l4zarus, Feb 25, 2012.

1. l4zarus

l4zarus Member

Full disclosure: I'm pro-choice and strongly advocate sex education and contraception as first choices. It works in Europe, so it works.

A long time ago a friend of mine got into an argument with an idiot who claimed she had the right to abort right up to birth. This was not on a forum. It was face to face, discussing political strategies; my friend's position (which I agree with) was the entire discussion is a strawman since sex education and contraception will make everyone, pro-choice and prolife, happy by reducing abortion. The idiot, a woman, insisted screaming about abortion was a valid strategy, as was her right to scream she could abort up to birth. This is of course crazy, but she didn't act crazy in other ways: she was going through graduate school at the time, was divorced, had a kid and lived with her parents. I had never heard of this extreme position before and apparently this woman oblivious to the fact she sounded like a nut.

Has anyone else encountered people pushing this idea that they have a right to abort right up before birth? I mean from people themselves, preferably face to face; it's too easy to pretend to believe X on a forum. Since then the only place I've heard this bs is vague references in right-wing propaganda claiming some people believe this, but everyone I know who is pro-choice thinks this is insane.

Also, does anyone have an idea when this supposed position first appeared?

Note: the subject is NOT a medical necessary abortion.

2. diamond lil

diamond lil Well-Known Member

Abortion is legal up to birth.

What you should do is ask yourself why that is so.

3. l4zarus

l4zarus Member

I've already stated we're not talking about a medical emergency. Most non emergency abortions are done in the first 5 months; the cost increases after that point and the people most desperate are not going to wait that long, much less up until birth. :roll:

That is not the topic. If you want people to ask themselves that, you can start your own thread.

The topic is alleged pro-choicers pushing this supposed "right" to abort right up until birth as if it was a valid political strategy.

Have you ever heard anyone say this? Face to face or on a forum?

4. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

Your friend might have been insulted, but the woman she was talking to was right - a woman has the right to abort up until her ninth month of pregnancy if she wants.

5. PatriotNews

PatriotNews Well-Known Member

Roe v Wade divides the right to abortion into three trimesters. The mother has the right to an abortion anytime in the first. The state may regulate or restrict it in the second. Abortions are only to be performed for the health or the life of the mother.

Women can get an abortion (also known as late term abortions) in the 3rd trimester. Unfortunately, unscrupulous doctors take advantage of the health or life of the mother provision by simply stating that in the interest of the woman's mental health, we are performing an abortion. Even if there is no immediate danger to the mother and the baby is perfectly healthy.

6. diamond lil

Very late term abortions have always been rare because they aren't wanted.

When they are wanted, the reasons are very good indeed.

7. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Well-Known Member

Yeah? In what country? Abortion restrictions for late-term pregnancies are common, so this is false.

To the OP, yes, I have heard of this position before. Some small fraction of pro-choice extremists advocates it. I am pro-choice, but in my opinion, it is disgusting to condone late-term abortion, or abortions until birth. And indeed, public support for abortion diminishes strongly in later trimesters, with 86 % of US citizens in favor of a ban, and with increasing tendency.

8. diamond lil

That's because nobody tells them why they're sometimes necessary.

9. Blasphemer

No, because if medically necessary, no ban or restrictions apply anywhere. So thats not the point here.

10. diamond lil

Of course it's the point. Why else would a late term abortion take place if it wasn't a medical necessity?

11. Blasphemer

Because a pregnant woman may wish so.

12. diamond lil

That's a given. No abortion is carried out against the woman's wishes, so the question is why a woman choose abortion late into a pregnancy if there wasn't a medical necessity?

13. Blasphemer

She no longer wants the child? Or to endure the childbirth? Economical reasons? The child has a congenital defect? I dont know, thats not important. I think late elective abortions should not be allowed if its not a medical necessity, irregardless of reasons why the woman wants it.

As I said, if its a medical necessity (which is on the doctor to consider, not the woman), then I have nothing against it.

14. Blasphemer

Anyway, assuming you are right and all the late-term abortions are due to medical necessity, then you surely would have nothing against allowing only those that are due to medical necessity. Because nothing would change, then.

15. injest

injest New Member

yes, actually I have heard this face to face...a woman I work with...an amazingly sensitive, tactful woman that was talking about abortion (because of something she had seen the night before on TV) to a woman that was two months pregnant...who had just had a miscarriage not six months before...*roll eyes*

she insisted that babies aren't alive until they were born, that fetuses are just tissue, etc...that women have a 'right to control their bodies', etc...

16. OKgrannie

OKgrannie Well-Known Member Past Donor

Women don't delay having elective abortions until late-term when they are more dangerous and more expensive. Late-term abortions are not chosen and not wanted, they are NEEDED for medical reasons. Some late-term abortions are performed because the woman has suicidal depression, which the antis get up-in-the-air about, but that is a medical reason. Banning late-term abortion for elective reasons won't change the numbers, it will increase red-tape for doctors and in some cases might mean going to court. No need for that when women don't CHOOSE late-term abortion.

17. diamond lil

I certainly do, as pointless restrictions are degrading to women.

18. Blasphemer

It may be so, but as an argument against such ban, I consider this absolutely inadequate. Protecting a human life vs. a bit more red tape. There is no question about my choice here.

You have yet to show that every late-term abortion is done for medical reasons. I consider it probable that it is false, as we can easily imagine a scenario where late-term abortion is done for convenience, birth defect, economic reasons etc.

And again, assuming you are right, we are getting deeper into philosophical territory here. Should we keep a law on the books against something that does not happen, but may happen? Id generally say yes.

19. PatriotNews

PatriotNews Well-Known Member

What an awful woman. How positively insensitive. I would have taken a stapler to her forhead.

Locke9-05 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

Canada has no restrictions on when a woman can abort.