Australian politicians need to be replaced.

Discussion in 'Australia, NZ, Pacific' started by culldav, Feb 28, 2012.

1. culldav

culldav Well-Known Member

I believe this highlights just how BAD and corrupt politics & politicians and have become when they LIE to the voters faces knowing there isn’t a (*)(*)(*)(*) thing the voters can do about it - it time that changed.

Its time the people started “demanding” help and support from the media, and if the media don’t help and support the people, then the people DON’T buy or watch that media. The people do have the power, but we refuse to use it as a group.

Its time politicians were held accountable and responsible for what they do and what they say just like it is in the real would of private enterprise. Once there is an equal playing field, then maybe we will get genuine people who want to be politicians, and not the self-obsessed parasites we currently have.

We have Gillard who is a pathological liar and Abbott how claim we cannot believe anything he say’s unless its written down on paper. These are the two clowns that “are” and “could” be representing Australia internationally.

In the real world, if your employee told you lies or told you nothing they said could be trusted unless it was written down on paper. You wouldn’t be voting for either of them to RUN your business or offer them more money. You would SACK them and show them the nearest EXIT door.

Just look at how far Australia’s educational system has fallen behind the rest of the world, and yet we have Gillard spewing out verbal dirreaoh about how good the Australian educational system is under her guidance. Maybe she just incompetent again, and forgot to look at the international standards before making that absurd claim in blowing her own horn.

Australian politicians have in place a system whereby they don’t know how much of Australian land is being sold off to foreign companies and Governments unless the sale amount is over $244million dollars. How bloody ridiculous is that from people who are suppose to be protecting Australians best interests?

2. DominorVobis

DominorVobis Banned at Members Request

The best way is to run for office yourself, I see on these pages lots of people who say we should do this and that, but what do they do? Run for government, write letters, visit your local rep, anything, but get involved. Personally, I have contested two federal elections.

3. culldav

In retrospect, I do agree with what you say in terms that people should start helping themselves by getting more involved with the political process. Writing to their local State & Federal politicians if they want change and are not happy about how their country is being Governed.

At one time, before politicians gave themselves complete autonomous power, they might have listened or read peoples complaints regarding issues, but now they couldn’t care less what the people think. They think they are so “God-like” above everyone else they know they can even LIE to our faces and we will act like sheep and forgive them, because there is nothing we the people can do about it until an election happens. The power has been taken for the employer (us the people) to even sack/dismiss these politicians when they lie and deceive us.

We the people need to force the power back where these politicians can be sacked/dismissed just like other employees in private enterprise if they do the wrong thing.

I understand you have good intentions, but this situation is beyond the man in the street running as an Independent for Parliament. Look what happened to Winsor & Oak shott both “supposed” Independents - both were brought off by faceless men in Labor Party.

Look what happened to Pauline Hanson for wanting to stick-up and protect the interests of Australia and Australians over foreigners - condemned as a xenophobic racist, and later illegally jailed under false pretences and accusations.

We need the people to stand as a group and the media and some big hitters to support us in stopping the politicians from selling this country off and sending it down the gurgler.

We have an estimated 300,000 homeless Australian, and outback Aboriginal communities living in shocking conditions for decades, but our politicians say they can afford to send $500million dollars of Australian tax payer money to build Muslim schools in Indonesia, but cannot afford to build any accommodation for Australia’s 300,000 homeless or help rectify the conditions outback Aboriginal communities are forced to live in. What’s wrong with that picture?

Australia’s school educational system is ranked from 10 - 17 in the world, and we have politicians sending $500 million dollars in tax payer money to Indonesia to build schools, plus the $500 million Indonesia gets in fee international aid every year from Australia.
    Again, what’s wrong with this picture?

4. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Banned

Run for a seat with one of the major parties then. Fight them from the inside.

It's not that hard to get a seat with the ALP:

• join the ALP
    • get a job in a Union (as an Organiser, for example)
    • endear yourself to the Union Leaders/Powerbrokers
    • put your hand up for preselection at the next election

Not as hard as you'd think. This happens all the time.

5. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Well-Known Member

We're ranked 10-17 in the world for education, according to who?

The reason we help fund education in Indonesia is pretty obvious isn't it? If we don't, the Saudi's or other fundamentalist regimes will. Maybe if the US spent more in foreign aid and education and less on their CIA and military, they wouldn't have blown 3 trillion+ dollars in the ME over the last decade and killed thousands of their own citizens fighting a stupid war against fundamentalists.

Australia is ranked 2nd in the HDI and Indonesia is ranked 124 and they're our closest neighbour. We also help to fund infrastructure and healthcare in Indonesia. Our federal budget last year spent almost $350 billion, and we spent $4 billion on foreign aid, or about %1, and 500 million of that in Indonesia, 0.25%. Sure, we should spend more on education and more in rural Aboriginal communities. But instead of cutting aid to impoverished children in Indonesia, how about we stop subsidizing upper middle class and wealthy families in Australia?

Pauline Hanson is an idiot, and anyone that supports her is also an idiot.

It's $231 million dollars btw and the parliament has already put the ABS on it and presumably this will lead to a change in policy re the FIRB. The US and the UK are still our biggest foreign investors.

What do you mean the power has been "taken" for us to "sack/dismiss" politicians? When have "we" ever had that power, other than at election time? What do you mean we need to put this power back?

Windsor and Oakshott "bought off" by "faceless" men? Er, no... the Prime Minister is actually a woman, and she has a face.

Foreign investment is a good thing, it just needs to be reformed due to these state owned, or effectively state owned, corporations buying up strategic resources (agricultural and mining land) in preparation for predicted future global shortages. Time we started thinking about this ourselves and begin acting to protect our national assets.

6. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Banned

It's worrying that people still need to be reminded of this, 15 years after her maiden speech.

7. aussiefree2ride

aussiefree2ride New Member

We need to change our political system. For a start, we should be paying politicians more while in office, and nothing, or next to it to retire. Pay peanuts, get monkeys, but why pay caviar to retired monkeys?

8. DominorVobis

I totally agree with most points, but we can make a difference. A year or so ago Cadbury Chocolate changed their recipe and within days had hundreds of thousands of letters and emails and quickly changed back. But that was something important, lol.

If tens of thousands wrote to their MPs they would listen. As far as OS aid goes, yes we should help, and besides it being the right thing to do, maybe one day if we don't, they will try to come and get it, same with immigration.

The world is shrinking, the poor and underprivileged can see us now, they know our wealth and that a lot of that wealth was aquired through their exploitation.

It is time for us to wake up and grow up.

We talk about 500 million here a billion there, chicken feed to a populace that gambles some 18 billion or so each year.

As long as we are free to walk into a polling booth, without threat or intimidation, as long as we are free to tick a box for who ever cares to put their name up, if we aren't active, then we should shut up.

9. culldav

The figures regarding Australian children’s decline in IQ’s comes directly from OECD reports and information from Dr Jensen from the Grattan Institute.

MATH: Australia in 2000 ranked (5) in 2009 ranked (15)

READING: Australia in 2000 ranked (4) in 2009 ranked (9)

SCIENCE: Australia in 2000 ranked (7)- in 2009 ranked (10)

NO. Its not obvious to me why my tax dollars are supporting the education and the building of schools in Indonesia for Indonesian children to the tune of $100‘s of millions of Australia tax payers dollars. Meanwhile the international educational standards of Australian children are slipping into decay, and we have thousands of young Australians and indigenous students falling through the cracks of our “grand educational system” (so say’s Juliar) who are unable to even read & write.

Lets call a spade-a-spade here shall we! 99% of Indonesians wouldn’t give a rats if Australia sank into the Pacific Ocean, and they only came out with a sympathetic face and a begging hand when they want money or something for free.

Maybe its time these parasite politicians realised its not their money they are committing to foreign aid, but it’s the money belonging to all the Australian tax payers. And I would bet $1000 that if a referendum was taken that 90% of Australians would be in FAVOUR in diverting ALL the free foreign aid money back into fixing major problems in our society right here in Australia like homelessness, mental health, dental care, indigenous Australians, infrastructure, manufacturing, and job creation for Australians.

If you are an Australian and you think we should be giving our tax money to support foreigners over destitute people living right here in Australia, then you are a traitor to everything Australia stands for.

We need to enact legislation that politicians can be sacked/dismissed just like any normal employee in the private sector under the same rules & conditions. Its time the playing field was levelled between employed public servant (politician) and the general public - no more Parliamentary privileges.

Gillard would be luck to have the intellect to be able to buy a lollypop at the local corner shop, and we all know that the faceless men in Labor paid for the Winsor & Oakeshott votes. To suggest anything else is only diminishing your own credibility & intellect!!

Yes. Foreign investment is a good thing, but only when the Government (politicians ) are keeping their eyes on WHO, WHAT, and WHERE the investment are happening.

Don’t you think its time that Australian politicians STOPPED selling this country off at garage sale prices to any foreign investor with an open cheque book without questions or knowing where and when these transactions are taking place?

Back in 1995 Pauline Hanson made the ridiculous xenophobic racist suggestion that Australians start thinking about themselves and begin acting to protect the Nations assets by stopping the sale of Australian “freehold” land to foreigners and to protect manufacturing and Australian jobs.

Pauline was called stupid and a racist I believe?

10. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Banned

Couldn't agree more. I've been saying this for years.

11. DominorVobis

And so do I .....

12. culldav

Yes. We are free to vote, but we just saw what a totally corrupt system this political party system is when the faceless men of Labor wanted Juliar as their leader with 26% public approval over Rudd with 50% public approval.

It time the people of Australia got to choose WHO the leader of the country was, not the faceless men behind the Labor, Liberal and Greens political parties.

Look at the morons we have to choose from: Gillard an incompetent lying child and Abbott a bludger with NO policies going to be PM by default. A race to the bottom is not a good thing for the people!!

Right now, Australia has just as many poor and under privileged people as many countries in the world - including a very rough estimate of 300,000 homeless. These people don’t just make up single individuals, but couples and families with children.

I don’t agree with overseas aid when 300,000 people including families are homeless in your own country.

I don’t agree in giving other countries $500million dollars of tax payers money to build schools when young Australians are still slipping through our educational net and leaving school not being able to read & write.

13. culldav

Can you offer me some explanation that would suggest increasing a politicians wages would suddenly increase a politicians intellect and make them behave more responsible then they currently do?

14. DominorVobis

Not sure what UNC thinks but for me common sense tells me.

15. culldav

Common sense tells me you cannot increase an individuals intelligence by offering them more money.

If Gillard was employed in the private sector, do you think she would be getting a $200K +bonus salary or even more with all the incompetent mistakes she has made?

I reckon she would be lucky to be on the basic solicitor starting retainer.

16. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Banned

A higher wage would attract a better field of candidates.

17. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Banned

That's not what's being suggested.

A higher wage would attract better (more intelligent, if you like) candidates in the future.

18. DominorVobis

Ah I see the confusion, we didn't mean that more money will make current politicians smarter but it would entice smarter ones to challenge them.

19. culldav

You are missing the point; the faceless people in the Labor, Liberal and Greens party select their candidates, we don’t. So, by offering more money is not going to guarantee those candidates will be put forward by their parties as candidates for the public to select.

I think the opposite applies! Offering lower wages attracts people to the job who really want to do it - like nursing; its more of a profession than a JOB, so its NOT just about the money its also about the joy of caring for people

Lets face it, Nurses deserve more money than politicians - they protect and save lives; politicians don’t, but nurses only get a 1/3 of the salary of most pollies.

We need to attract the right people into the right jobs, and that doesn’t always mean offering HUGH salaries to get them, and I believe this applies to politicians. Most politicians are only “figure-heads anyway and don’t do much of the hard work. All the hard work is done by their assistants behind the scenes - so why the hell pay the "figure-heads" more.

Maybe the assistants who do the actual work should be the ones offered more money?

20. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Banned

That's right, there's no guarantee.

However, the ultimate goal is to form government. The parties will put forward the candidates who have the best chance of winning a seat.

21. DominorVobis

They do get paid more, and if you watch "Yes Minister" you will see the results, a comedy.

People do things for one or more of 4 things
    Money
    Power
    Fame
    Or love

Those that do things purely for love tend to get trodden on @take you nurses for example, totally exploited
    I would rather have someone who was also well paid, and like any employee, I would except value for money.

22. aussiefree2ride

aussiefree2ride New Member

Response to Culldav`s post

I can see where you are comming from. One point I tried to make is that we shouldn`t be paying politicians a retirement package at all, they should take care of their own retirement provisions like everyone else. Another comment is, while we pay those in authority, renumeration comparible to that of an energetic tradesman in a mining camp, we can`t expect to attract the best executive minds.

23. culldav

This could mean the most "attractive" or the most "popular" and not necessarily the politician (candidate) who is being paid the big money as suggested.

We could end up with an unintelligent attractive popular politician, because we don't elect them, the party does and they will put the most publically popular candidate forward regardless of intellect. Therefore, paying higher salaries to get a better/intelligent kind of pollie won't work in THIS current system.

24. culldav

I agree that politicians should not be getting retirement packages and lurks ‘n’ perks at the publics expense forever just because they were once a politician.

Look at old Bob Hawke. He is some CEO on some Hong Kong bank board making $millions and certainly does not need an additional Australia tax payer funded pension - this is ridiculous.

25. dumbanddumber

dumbanddumber New Member

I agree,

This way they would think twice about passing a carbon tax because it WOULD affect their life style after retirement.