Is "global warming" driving the very snowy winters we've seen in recent years?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by James Cessna, Mar 5, 2012.

1. James Cessna

James Cessna New Member

It now appears as if the decrease in Arctic sea ice area the earth has witnessed since 1979 is directly linked to changes in the atmospheric circulation patterns above the Northern Hemisphere that most often occur during wintertime.

Scientists now believe "the recent snowy winters could be caused by the retreating Arctic ice altering atmospheric circulation patterns by weakening westerly winds, increasing the amplitude of the jet stream and increasing the amount of moisture in the atmosphere." An increased amount of moisture in the atmosphere during wintertime, of course, leads to more snowfall.

Consequently, scientists have concluded blocking patterns produced by the decrease in Arctic sea ice favor more frequent movement of cold air masses to the middle and lower latitudes, causing increased heavy snowfall in Europe and the Northeast and Midwest regions of the United States.

Is anthropogenic global warming causing the Arctic sea ice to melt? The correct answer is "No". Most scientists now attribute the loss of this ice to the North Atlantic Oscillation, which introduces warm air currents and the Thermohaline Circulation, which introduces warm water currents into the Arctic region, respectively.

What is the "Thermohaline Circulation"? As surface water sinks in the frigid Arctic through thermohaline action, warmer water is "pulled in" to fill the void left by the sinking water. It is this warmer water that causes the Arctic sea ice to melt from underneath.

Scientists now know warmer water is also "pushed" into the Arctic by the pressure of the Gulf Stream, and given added impetus by the prevailing south-westerly winds that sweep across the North Atlantic.

Thus, we must conclude the recent loss of Arctic sea ice in a purely natural phenomenon and has nothing to do with man's combustion and use of fossil fuels as a reliable energy source.

"The circulation changes result in more frequent episodes of atmospheric blocking patterns, which lead to increased cold surges and snow over large parts of the northern continents."

2. MannieD

MannieD New Member

Why????????????

3. Trinnity

Trinnity Banned

I don't even want to discuss AGW anymore. It's a hoax for political gain. Period.

4. Dan40

Dan40 New Member

If summers are hot its GW.
    If winters are cold, its GW.
    If there are many storms, its GW.
    If there are few storms, its GW.
    If there's an El Nino, its GW.
    If there's no El Nino, its GW.
    If the groundhog sees its shadow, its GW.
    If the groundhog doesn't see his shadow, its GW.
    If the groundhog is blind drunk and on smack, its GW.

According to GWers, my house on the Florida coast has been under 40 feet of ocean water due to polar ice melt for 17 years now. Evidently my drainage is good because I haven't noticed the damp!

5. Professor Peabody

Professor Peabody Well-Known Member Past Donor

We had snow in So Cal last Monday, 3" where I live. We could uses a lil global warming.

6. Serlak2007

Serlak2007 Well-Known Member

You, deniers, are not even funny anymore, just pathetic....

7. Professor Peabody

Not being able to prove warming is man made, but still insisting it is...pathetic as it gets. :nerd:

8. Serlak2007

How do you prove to an idiot that yellow snow is not Gatorade?

Bowerbird and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Dan40

Dan40 New Member

Let the liberal taste it. That was easy.

10. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

when the ice caps melt, that cold water changes the weather patterns... common sense

11. Dan40

Dan40 New Member

That was Global Warming. Its very tricky, sometimes it hides in a blizzard.

12. _Inquisitor_

_Inquisitor_ Well-Known Member

One would know that ice melts in warm weather, not in cold,

one would know that snow means ice,

one would know that ice forms in cold weather,

if and only if

one is not a blind believer in AWG and/or an overwhelming majority of the scientific community.

13. _Inquisitor_

I apologize for not reading your lengthy post. I hope all other posters will support me in my apologies.

Thus I can comment only on the title I read.

It does not reflect the observed and reported reality.

People from all continents have reported not only extremely snowier but also extremely colder years, including death of hundreds unprepared and trusting to a hand full of overwhelming majorities of the scientific community lying to them in IPCC reports.

I am afraid you are trying to downplay the tragedy of the losses of human lives caused by actions of a hand full of overwhelming majorities of the scientific community.

14. Serlak2007

Science has liberal bias, so don't bring it up to conservatives. With them better argument would be - This is not GW, this is god punishing everybody for all those states that made same sex marriage legal.

15. PatriotNews

PatriotNews Well-Known Member

Of course the globe is warming...it's been warming since the end of the last Ice Age.
    Of course the ice is melting...it's been melting since the end of the last Ice Age.
    It was melting when we were still a struggling species, living in caves. We weren't even driving SUV's back then.

16. _Inquisitor_

Since you don't have any other arguments let me see if any conservative will agree with yours.

Conservatives, anyone?

17. _Inquisitor_

OMG.

the globe is warming

Do you even understand your own words?
    the globe is warming

What does such a statement mean to you?

18. Professor Peabody

Since I'm not a GW cultist, I wouldn't know as it's still frozen where I live. You'd have to ask a warmie, it think it's part of their religion to taste it after it melts.

19. Professor Peabody

Please don't bother the warmies, they're busy tasting melting yellow snow to see if man made global warming made it melt.

20. DonGlock26

DonGlock26 New Member Past Donor

I am tired of their religious dogma.

_

21. philxx

philxx New Member

When ice melts its because it is warmer ,and thats the problem the weather patterns are changing ,yes most of the change due to the only variable factor that would be Capitialism Polluting totally unecessarily ,the thing called the atmosphere.

Oh and a zillion cars and all Industry as well as argiculture and Mining Methane [the worse carbon pollutant.]has absolutly no effect on the hightening levels of green house gas .

Anyone that believes that a warming of the oceans and atmosphere isn't down to Industrial activity is a Moron of the highest order and probably believes in creationism.

You have to believe in crap in order to talk crap ,thats what the denial idiots feed on crap.

Is the earth warming yes ,proof put a termometer in the ocean and compare with historic records =Warming of the Worlds Oceans .

BTW,australia is experiencing Record rainfall for the past 2 years in a row,we are seeing events like an Inland sea existing for the last 2 years unprecidented ,the whole CONTINENTAL weather patterns have moved to the East .

oh and it looks like another year of the same crazy unseasonal weather were average monthly rainfall is achieved with a day.

Personally I like the change as hot weather is crap weather.

drought isn't to flash either.

22. bacardi

bacardi New Member

I was reading recently that there are 25, 50, and even 100 year patterns. So we are definately in one of those patterns. But its not global warming.

23. James Cessna

James Cessna New Member

Please read the discussion. It's really not that long.

I am sure you will agree with these conclusions.

"Is anthropogenic global warming causing the Arctic sea ice to melt? The correct answer is "No". Most scientists now attribute the loss of this ice to the North Atlantic Oscillation, which introduces warm air currents and the Thermohaline Circulation, which introduces warm water currents into the Arctic region, respectively."

"Thus, we must conclude the recent loss of Arctic sea ice in a purely natural phenomenon and has nothing to do with man's combustion and use of fossil fuels as a reliable energy source."

24. Pred

Pred Well-Known Member

Still impossible to prove MAN has anything to do with our weather patterns. If we caused GW now, who warmed the earth when we weren't here? Oh, it was natural? Then why is it not natural now? I don't doubt that we possibly could have some effect, but too minuscule to matter. To claim its all our fault makes you nuttier than a Scientologist.

25. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Banned

Uh huh. Perhaps you could explain why we banned CFCs if man's activities have no effect on climate. Believe me, scientists and governments were scared enough at the prospect of severe ozone depletion and the potentially devastating effects on climate and life on earth, that the Montreal Protocol banned those chemicals which were proven to be at the root of the problem. http://www.epa.gov/ozone/climate.html