+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Term limits on Senators and members of the House?

My Latest Mood: Angry

I also support a law that would make congressional districts approximate geometric shapes.

Quote Originally Posted by toddwv View Post
    If you mean two consecutive terms in a row, I could support that.
    That's what I meant.
    "Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it."- American Philosopher George Santayana

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kranes56 View Post
    That's what I meant.
    The more I think about it, the more interesting that idea is to me. An "incumbents may not run" rule will shake up congress and eliminate any thoughts of career safety that people might have. It would be most valuable in the senate, since it would level the playing field and bring equal representation to all of the states.

More importantly, incumbents could focus on governing instead of campaigning.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by hiimjered View Post
    The more I think about it, the more interesting that idea is to me. An "incumbents may not run" rule will shake up congress and eliminate any thoughts of career safety that people might have. It would be most valuable in the senate, since it would level the playing field and bring equal representation to all of the states.

More importantly, incumbents could focus on governing instead of campaigning.
    That's basically why I would support something like this.
    "Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it."- American Philosopher George Santayana

You can vote people out anytime you get the majority of of votes for the other guy or gal, you don't need term limits.

In fact it takes time to learn the job and more importantly senior elected members of our government have power but its also a mentoring situation they guide the new members of office.

The way you avoid the issues your concerned about is get people to vote and do so in a considered manner knowing the issues, I would say if anything make civics education more important in schools and among the public at large.
    Modern methods of production have given us the possibility of ease and security for all; we have chosen, instead, to have overwork for some and starvation for the others. Hitherto we have continued to be as energetic as we were before there were machines; in this we have been foolish, but there is no reason to go on being foolish for ever. - In Praise of Idleness, Bertrand Russell, (1932)

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tkolter View Post
    You can vote people out anytime you get the majority of of votes for the other guy or gal, you don't need term limits.

In fact it takes time to learn the job and more importantly senior elected members of our government have power but its also a mentoring situation they guide the new members of office.

The way you avoid the issues your concerned about is get people to vote and do so in a considered manner knowing the issues, I would say if anything make civics education more important in schools and among the public at large.
    You can vote the incumbent out by voting for the other guy, but that fact doesn't help at all.

The incumbent was elected by a majority of the population because he claimed values and intentions that matched a majority of the population. The "other guy" will most often be of a different party and claim values and intentions very different from the ones the incumbent claims.

In the end the majority of the population has the choice between re-electing the incumbent who at least claims to have the desired values or to elect a person who claims different values from what is desired.

In the end, you don't really have the option to vote out the incumbent, unless you are willing to vote directly against your own values and desires.
    TANSTAAFL

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tkolter View Post

I don't like the idea of mentoring myself. I don't want my Senator/Congressman to be influenced by a senior member. It's "Washington" politics and partisanship that is often taught to the junior members of Congress. A "senior" Congressman with 20+ years of service wields too much power. I think something on the order of 2 five year term restrictions would be appropriate.

On the discussion of mentoring, I think it would be wise to have some sort of system whereby a brand new member of Congress must serve as the Chief of Staff of the outgoing Congressman for a year period. This would allow the incoming Congressman to learn the ins and outs of the office without becoming too connected to life long Congressmen serving as mentors.
    I have no joy in strife,
    Peace is my great desire;
    Yet God forbid I lose my life
    Through fear to face the fire. -Henry Van Dyke

I completely agree with term limits for senators and representatives. I think the Supreme Court should remain a life appointment though.
    A kind act is never too small to matter. - Me(as far as I know)

No one's excited
    Unless they are divided
    Someone's going to have to give in
    It seems uncertain - 311

9. Default

Term limits on Senators and members of the House?
    That's just trying to get rid of democracy. Voters have a constitutional right to have whoever they want for their representative. What's sad is, voters keep re-electing those that are the problem instead of electing those that would fix the problems. There's no cure for stupid.
    Last edited by gophangover; Mar 26 2012 at 12:12 PM.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Junkieturtle View Post
    I completely agree with term limits for senators and representatives. I think the Supreme Court should remain a life appointment though.
    Six years max for Supreme Court judges. That way we don't get Alzheimer patients making ridiculous rulings. Nobody should have that kind of power for that long. And the judges should be elected not appointed.

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast