Gay Marriage: Put into it's proper perspective

Discussion in 'Gay & Lesbian Rights' started by Smartmouthwoman, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Smartmouthwoman

Smartmouthwoman Bless your heart Past Donor

This is so sad... people shouldn't be forced to hide their sexuality. However, it certainly puts gay marriage into it's proper perspective, doesn't it? Gotta wonder why American gays put so much time and effort into securing marriage rights for themselves while ignoring the fact that gays in many parts of the world are put to death just for being gay. Guess it's every man (or woman) for themselves these days. Just seems terribly selfish of US gays to be more concerned about getting married than the murder of their brothers & sisters in muslim countries.

2. Johnny-C

Johnny-C Well-Known Member

Now, that is tragic stuff.

And what would you have Americans do about religious bigotry/hatred in the Middle East?

Some of us here have spoken out, but what can be done?

Thank goodness we have Separation of Church and State here (in America), otherwise I'm certain the excerpt you've shared above would practically be replicated in this land.

When God is "government"... what can you do about it?

3. Smartmouthwoman

Most gays are members of the left who defend muslim rights. Just seems curious you rarely see gay organizations in America speaking out against islamic treatment of gays. So much for that global community crap, huh?

4. Johnny-C

Johnny-C Well-Known Member

And why would seeking to abridge Muslim rights be a solution to anything? Come on, get real.

You can figure that out yourself; it's not so curious at all. Gays here in America are fairly busy fighting for equal rights and protections themselves. It's not that they don't care or are unaware of what religious fundamentalism can mean for homosexuals (almost universally).

I care about humanity in general, but I (for one) am no 'globalist'. We have to take care of our own business, before we can effectively get into that of others.

5. stig42

stig42 New Member

so if i don’t do anything about issues all over the world i shouldn’t not complain about problems in my home nation?

its obvious it’s not wrong to support gay marriage hear even if its wrong to ignore persecution of homosexuals else where

and it not just homosexuals who have that responsibility if you know its wrong to treat people unfairly for being gay then regardless of whether your gay or not aren’t you just as obligated to oppose abuse all over the world

and this surly isn’t limited to gay issues if your worried about any kind of injustice or social problem shouldn’t you be just as concerned about it in all nations not just your own

6. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

7. stig42

stig42 New Member

I don’t like Islam and im not exactly a social conservative and don’t you wish to defend the right of Muslims as well

you might not agree with all Muslims about what exactly those rights are though

8. Smartmouthwoman

Just saying the suffering of gays under islamic law puts gay marriage in it's proper perspective. At least for those of us on the outside, often called homophobes if we oppose gay marriage in America.

I've never heard a poster (who claims to be gay) denounce the treatment of gays in muslim countries. But I've seen many defend the rights of American muslims.. like the ones who want to build a mosque in NYC.

How can gays support any religion that murders people for being gay? Where's the outrage those American muslims don't stand up for gay rights in the middle east?

Sure makes the gay marriage issue seem trite in comparison.

9. stig42

stig42 New Member

ok you’re not as bad as people who kill people for being gay

Still seems like your trying to hold one group you don’t agree with to higher standers then every one else to undermine them

i suspect the American rebels should not have though greet Britten before committing themselves to fight for more political rights in every other nation on earth and through the rest of the empire

Women should not have demanded suffrage in there on nations till they demanded it every where for all women

and we can’t be concerned about American jobs unless we just as concerned with the economic problems of all people every where

That’s not bad but it should apply to every one about every cause if you’re going to apply it to homosexuals for gay rights

There far from alone in living up to such a noble ideal

10. tresha

tresha New Member Past Donor

I think anyone who claims to have the right to kill another human being and tries to back it up with any form of religious rhetoric is doing a horrible disservice to their stated religion.

Or to be more plain: I believe it's (*)(*)(*)(*)ing horrible for someone to kill a gay person and say, "my faith/religion/beliefs say I'm supposed to do this"

But I also fervently believe that not all, or even the majority of Muslims believe this is an accepted practice.

I became pretty good friends with several Muslims through this site and can't ever imagine them being okay with this.

Much like I have several Christian friends (and am Christian myself), but at the same time don't believe everyone who claims to be Christian supports Fred Phelps when he says 'God hates (*)(*)(*)(*)" and protests at the funerals of fallen service members.
    Phelps claims Christianity as his faith, loudly, proudly and has stated many times he is "doing the Lord's work".

As far as gay marriage becoming a right, paling in comparison to being killed for being gay?

Well....yeah, it does.

But then, comparing apples to screwdrivers hardly ever makes sense to me anyway.

11. JeffLV

JeffLV Well-Known Member Past Donor

Think globally, act locally, ever heard that? lol.

And frankly, our efforts here to impact people around the world. The more support that is gained here in the USA for gays, the more open the USA will be in condemning the actions that these other countries have done, promoting change. The more we gain support here in the USA, the more likely we'll be able to DIRECTLY help those around the world by offering them asylum from their persecution, supporting their ability to immigrate and allowing spouses bring their parter to the country. Think Globally, Act Locally is not just a cliché... our local actions have global impact.

12. JeffLV

Long time no see :)

13. Think for myself

Think for myself Well-Known Member Past Donor

Perhaps it is because most Americans live in America and care what happens in America.

Just a theory.

But then again, we live in a country where most parts gays are not allowed to marry. So what do you expect? Folks to just say that gays should simply be happy idiots are not killing them for being gay?

14. JeffLV

Of course. Whenever someone slaps me, I don't get mad. I express my gratitude that they didn't punch me. Or heck, if they punched me, I'm just happy they didn't chop a limb off. We should always be grateful for the harm and insult people didn't do to us.

tresha and (deleted member) like this.
  15. tresha

Hi Jeff! :bye:

Hi TFM :bye:

I forgot something a little bit ago....
    Back in 2010, there was quite the rash of hideous stories here in Texas about mothers who claimed Christianity and said some variation of 'God told me to kill my child"

(There were actually several mothers and incidents dating back to at least 2004)

So......what are we to surmise from this?

That all mothers who claim Christianity should have their children taken from them....just in case?

Or maybe just all Texas mothers?
    Should be easy to round 'em up.
    Just send a buncha state troopers to Sunday Schools and VBS.

16. Perriquine

Perriquine On hiatus Past Donor

(emphasis added)

The portion I've bolded is what this thread is really about - the demonization of gay people. Don't pretend to us that you're really concerned for gay people living in countries where their existence is criminalized with a punishment of death. What you really care about is making the gay people in the U.S. look bad because you apparently don't have any better argument to apply against them.

It's ridiculous to claim that gay Americans aren't concerned about the plight of gay people in other countries, and that we aren't doing anything about it. The fact that those efforts don't garner the kind of headlines as the battle over marriage doesn't mean they're non-existent. The motto "silence = death" isn't true in every situation; in some situations we have to stay out of the public eye, lest we end up doing more harm than good to the people we're trying to help. And no, I'm not going to elaborate on that point, so don't bother asking for details that won't be forthcoming.

There's also the issue of $$$. I know a lot of people believe the stereotype that gay people are all a bunch of richy-rich folk, but a lot of us are struggling right along with our fellow Americans in this bad economy.

17. sec

sec Well-Known Member

I follow the logic here and you are correct smartie. In fact, the posters in this forum who seek gay marriage also seem to have a liberal agenda which is pro-muslim and pro abortion.

They do not speak out against Sharia and also support the killing of babies. Interesting indeed

I guess conservatives really are the party of the people

18. sec

sec Well-Known Member

nah, it seems straightforward to me. I've questioned the hypocricy of the "gay movement" many times in this sub-section

19. JeffLV

I'm pretty sure just about the only example of a purely selfless person is a nun.

20. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

Now I support Gay rights, and I defend Muslims. Doesn't mean I have a "pro Islam" agenda. It just means I believe in this thing called the first amendement.

21. tresha

Am openly gay and have been on this forum for close to 4 years. (though have been gone for quite awhile lately)

I've already gone on the record about how (*)(*)(*)(*)ing horrible I think it is that people are trying to use religion to justify killing people.

And anyone who believes I support killing babies, simply b/c some of my leanings are more liberal than conservative clearly would rather jump to conclusions than have their preconceived notions challenged.

What's fascinating to me is the incredible double standard shown by so many.

When someone commits an atrocity and claims it's b/c their Muslim faith dictates it---well then such people are clearly the standard bearer for every Fundamentalist Muslim ever!

But when someone commits an atrocity like, oh....killing their child....and says God and their Christian faith told them to do it?
    Well those people are just an anomaly.

Perriquine and (deleted member) like this.
  22. ryanm34

ryanm34 New Member

I don't really understand the point you are tying to make.

Ireland has blasphemy laws on the books. Never used can only give a fine but there. I object on the grounds that this restricts free speech.

That Pakistan kills people for blasphemy it does not lessen the infringement of my right.

It does not mean that I must give up my efforts to have that piece of legislation overturned, in favour of fighting for the right to pakistanis to free speech.

I fight for the overturning of that piece of legislation because it affects me and my life and that is human. I strongly object to the restriction of the free speech of Pakistanis when it comes up but I actively engage in the process that affects my rights.

23. Smartmouthwoman

I guess my point is... I'm sorry gays in the US have to move to another state to be legally married. But I'm VERY thankful that's your biggest complaint about our country.

God bless us one & all. ;)

24. JeffLV

You're living up to your name ;)

25. ryanm34

ryanm34 New Member

Everyone who is born into a first world country particularly the kind of liberal democracy which is characterised by a democratic government and the rule of law that we in "the west" are generally blessed with should be immensely grateful.

Doesn't mean that things are perfect. Or that we shouldn't complain about the flaws we see.