Musicians on Political Forum?

Discussion in 'Music, TV, Movies & other Media' started by Jazzerman, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Jazzerman

Jazzerman New Member

Being fairly new here, I haven't seen a topic on this yet. I'm just curious how many people on here are musicians, either amateur or professional. It's always nice to make a connection with fellow musicians, so tell everyone what music you play, what instrument(s), how long, who your influences are, etc. etc. I'll start...

I've been a Jazz guitarist for right about 20 years (I'm 31 now). I play other instruments, but the guitar has always been my main focus. I'm into Free Form Jazz, Avant Garde, Swing, Gypsy Jazz...really all types of Jazz...but concentrate more on Free Form and Gypsy Jazz. I do fiddle around with other types of music and have always loved traditional African music...Malian, Polyrhythmic drums, soukous, rumba, etc. Although I hate to admit it, I also do like modern pop music such as Lady Gaga :confuse: ...I know, I'll crawl back into my hole now.

My main influences would be people like Django Reinhardt, Ornette Coleman, Roland Kirk, Albert Ayler, Ali Farka Toure, Peter Brotzmann, Derek Bailey, and Don Cherry.

2. ronmatt

ronmatt New Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAQ9aP0TuQw&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAQ9aP0TuQw&feature=related[/ame]Keyboards here....jazz, experimental and traditional. I try to sound like Ahmad Jamal...have been for a century. I'm about his age. I'm banging on a Yamaha YPG 235 and an old, old Moog Synth. I just gig with friends now, mostly blues stuff, they try doing some middle period jazz every now and then...but it comes out more like fusion...way to electronic and digital.

3. youenjoyme420

youenjoyme420 New Member

Decent guitar player and bassist (more so electric, but I tried stand up for a while). Have some training with drums and cello, and I've attempted producing electronic music, but I suck at it.

4. gophangover

gophangover Well-Known Member

Yeah man, I put some of my tunes on page 17 of What Music You Into at the Moment #9. Alex Mahan played pedal steel and mandolin on a few tunes. Al Mestas played bass on one song. They're friends from back in Albuquerque. Jeff Baker played rhythm guitar on Mayan Says. Jeff lives in Reston Va. Other than that, I played all the instruments, wrote all the songs, and did all the recording. Alex inspired me to learn the pedal steel. My first attempt is on the Jesus song, not the video. I'm learning the mandolin too. With your backround you might these guys.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyIheBwbd68&feature=related"]Umphreys McGee - Mantis - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27KFoMnoQDk&feature=related"]Umphrey's McGee - Sick Ass Wappy Sprayberry - YouTube[/ame]

5. youenjoyme420

youenjoyme420 New Member

Ever seen Umphrey's live?

6. gophangover

Not yet. They're on the west coast right now. But when I get a chance, you betcha.

7. Goldwater

Goldwater Well-Known Member Past Donor

I've played in bands since the late 80's. I play guitar, bass, and blow sax.

When I started it was all about Led Zeppelein stoner rock, then I caught the Devo, Cars, Ramones, B-52's, new wave thing, with a recurring punk phase, Dead Kennedys, Circle Jerks, Black Flag.

The in the late 80's and 90's, I went all art-rock/progressive/noodly jazz. Alan Holdsworth, Pat Metheney, Yes, King Crimson, Adrian Belew, etc...

I played a bit lately with a Rush tribute band, and before that a Yes tribute band, and we played Yes of course, and a few numbers by Kansas.

8. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

It's funny you should ask. I wrote a country song today and I'd like someone to develop it:
    I've never once been drunk in my whole life.
    I've never even cheated on my wife.
    I've never had a chaw or pinch of snuff.
    Rode on a train a few times, that's enough.
    I'm not qualified to write a country song,
    But I wrote this anyway. Please sing along.
    Chorus:
    I've got the northeast livin', bland vanilla blues.
    We just sit around all day and watch the news.
    No songs or stories of how life used to be.
    When I get old, what will become of me?
    I've got the northeast livin', bland vanilla blues.

I've never rode a horse across the range.
    I've never been a member of a grange.
    I don't chew or spit or even smoke or swear.
    I don't live in south or west but I've been there.
    I don't do most of the things hillbillies do.
    I can't even play a banjo, how 'bout you?
    Repeat chorus
    But I love barbecued chicken and KFC.
    I love to read of cowboy history.
    I like the slower culture way down there,
    No-nonsense politicians, honest and fair.
    But most of all I love to hear them sing
    Of trains and trucks and love and ev'rything.
    Repeat chorus, last line twice

JET3534 likes this.
  9. leftlegmoderate

leftlegmoderate New Member

I have a lot of respect for jazz guitarist. You guys really do a great job of being spontaneous while simultaneously demonstrating technical proficiency. I've always been impressed by that. Gypsy jazz guitarist are amazing on an entirely different level. Their sound is undeniably jazz, but it has an old world feel that completely sets it apart from everything else.

Myself, I've been playing guitar off and on for about 16 years. I play both electric and nylon strings. On electric, I create clean toned neo-classical things inspired by Bach, Vivaldi, Paganini and others. On nylon, I like to learn and play various Baroque and Renaissance pieces. I don't play much anymore, due to work and a fading fanaticism.

10. Really People?

Really People? New Member

I was just about to say, "Then you can't write a country song" til I read the bolded line...

LMAO...

That said, I'm a hip-hop artist, and, I've also played the saxophone (alto, tenor, & baritone) since I was about 12, though, I've been slacking for the past few years...

Guess Who likes this.
  11. Wolverine

Wolverine New Member Past Donor

I have been playing the guitar for quite a few years.

I haven't spent much time writting my own music, so I don't consider myself very talented.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VG56nyWuH8"]Right in Two Tool Cover - YouTube[/ame]

12. Really People?

AAAArRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

I wish I could play the guitar...

13. ronmatt

ronmatt New Member

Simple...buy a guitar..play it. Wes Montgomery did just that. He started at the age of 20 (quite old actually) and became one of the greatest influences in jazz guitar. One thing though..I'm still trying to figure out how Ahmad Jamal gets those mellow riffs after 25 years of trying.

monkrules likes this.
  14. Really People?

I tried to play my old roommates guitar several years ago (he was really good), but, my hands won't do two separate things...lol

15. ronmatt

ronmatt New Member

Must drive your wife to drink....But you're wrong about your hands. They're just not trained to work independently, but the capability is there. Try relying on your 'useless' hand. Write with it..do finger exercises...everything you do with your dominant hand...assign that task to the other. This works. It's all about muscle memory and motor skills. Take that guitar and learn some cording with your 'bad' hand...but don't even bother with your 'good' hand for a while (like strumming or picking the strings) Just run through those cords...over and over...train that hand to operate...pretend your doing some body building exercises, meaning, do it all the time....Once that bad hand is somewhat 'up to speed'...start using both hands together...you'll do it.

16. gophangover

Separate things? You mean like this?...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeooHiX4oH0&feature=related"]Stanley Jordan - Stairway to Heaven - YouTube[/ame]

It's just like typing on your computer. Anybody can do it....:no:

17. ronmatt

ronmatt New Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp1wHZfZz9s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp1wHZfZz9s[/ame]

He doesn't even use his extra arms...

18. gophangover

Here's a couple extra arms....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5oExc78IKE"]Chet Atkins & Leo Kottke "Sleepwalk" - YouTube[/ame]

19. gophangover

trading licks....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr81zu0uNaA&feature=related"]Mark Knopfler & Chet Atkins - I'll see you in my dreams - YouTube[/ame]

20. Really People?

LMAO...

Well played sir...

21. sparky2

sparky2 Banned

I've been playing guitar for over 35 years now, and branched out into bass guitar and keyboards over the past 15 years. Play a fair bit of ukulele as well.

I started out in a garage band with my brother and some friends many years ago. I'm still in touch with those friends, and my brother and I get together and jam all the time. He is a talented and hard working bar-band musician.

I play company parties, farewell parties, Christmas parties, open mike nights, and odd bar gigs. I have been recently playing at an old folks home as well, as a volunteer musician/singer.
    The old folks love it!!

I love writing stories and have done a fair bit of songwriting over the past few years.

Music is a central piece of the Sparky2 puzzle.

[​IMG]

22. Wolverine

Once you get the basics down its great.

23. youenjoyme420

youenjoyme420 New Member

I don't think I ever heard them make a mistake at a show. Just about perfect each time. And definitely in my top 10 favorite bands/ artists to see live.

24. Wolverine

These threads fade out too quickly.

Ya for music!

25. Jazzerman

Jazzerman New Member

Is it just a disinterest, or are there very few of us on this forum? Personally, I think it's been rather nice hearing about everyone's musical background.

I always thought it would be fun to have someone upload a video of themselves playing something (anything). Then, everyone interprets the piece in their own musical style and records themselves doing so, and then posting their own interpretations here...kind of like a musical challenge to see what we all come up with.