Does someone's weight affect your perception of them?

Discussion in 'Opinion POLLS' started by IgnoranceisBliss, Mar 16, 2012.

?

Does someone's weight affect your perception of them?

1. Yes, I think a person's weight is a reflection of them.

35.4%
  2. Yes, I wish I didn't but I do unconsciously judge them.

32.9%
  3. No, I wish they would take their health more seriously, but I don't judge them.

22.0%
  4. No, weight is cosmetic and many overweight people simply can't help it..

9.8%
  1. IgnoranceisBliss

IgnoranceisBliss Well-Known Member

As Americans and the rest of the Western world become more and more overweight and obese, the "fat acceptance movement" has taken hold. This movement attempts to change societal expectations and make people more accepting of overweight people. Hollywood and the modeling industry are the main targets of this movement which accuses them of creating unrealistic expectations for people (mostly women). Many schools and social commentators have become crusaders for the movement and talk about how damaging the social stigma surrounding weight can be for children.

So, for the poll question, when you're introduced to a significantly overweight person does it affect your perception of them? Even if you treat them exactly the same as a thin person, does some part of you make assumptions/judgements about them?

Some secondary questions:

Is it more sociably acceptable for men to be overweight? Are overweight men left in the shadows in the campaign for "fact acceptance?"

Is a person's weight a reflection of them? Is it a reflection of their personality or self-control?

Here's a recent opinion piece of the issue:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/16/living/body-image-kids/index.html?hpt=hp_bn12

2. skeptic-f

skeptic-f New Member

A person's weight shows that in the end they don't care enough about their own health, image and lifestyle. That is not enough to condemn them as an individual, but it is a negative against them, just like being a mouthy or abusive person is a negative.

3. IgnoranceisBliss

How much do you think this impacts them? How much of it is conscious or unconscious? Do you think people consciously say "look at this fattie I'm not going to hire them" or does their weight just lower their perception of them and when it's decision time affects results?

4. Bain

Bain New Member

Funny because I have been thinking about this lately. Yes I judge them. I am aware that I do it but I can not help it. Automatically think they are lazy, cannot control what they eat, are not competent enough to take care of themselves.

I accept women obesity over a mans. Not by much.

This is my flaw and something I need to work on. In the meantime I do my best not to let it effect them nor my interaction with that individual.

Hows that for honesty?

5. IgnoranceisBliss

It's good to hear honesty. I hear a lot of people claim that they don't let someone's weight affect their judgement. In today's world many people seem more content to talk sweetly and nicely to someone, then through action, show that their talk is frivolous. I'm curious to see what the results are.

6. Iolo

Iolo Well-Known Member Past Donor

Fat people look like idle slobs; most Americans are more overweight than most others, and keep shooting everyone. Go figure!

7. IgnoranceisBliss

This poll is designed for all of the Western world which is becoming increasingly overweight. It has nothing to do specifically with Americans or guns. Please keep on topic. I understand your obsession with bashing America, but see if you can't take a short break.

8. Iolo

Iolo Well-Known Member Past Donor

I never bash America - I remember it with affection and wish it were still alive. Yes, everyone is getting too fat, and it stands for the way we accepts slavery, so it is always disgusting.

9. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

I think there is a risk of a dangerous overlap in this. The is a very postive movement against unrealistic body image often presented in the media and the encouragement of being unhealthily underweight but there are also those who actively promote and support celebration of being unhealthily overweight. I think the latter is equally dangerous.

In general terms, the focus should be on generally healthy diet and lifestyle rather than actual weight - action (or inaction!) rather than consequences.

I think so to an extent. I feel the media images of women tend much further towards the unrealistically thin than it does for men. Men in the media don't have quiet as much attention on their physical apperance.

It shouldn't be. There are all sorts of reasons behind an individuals weight at any given point in time, many not being entirely or at all related to that individuals personal choices. It's also worth noting that you can appear relatively "normal" while still being about to keel over as a result of an unhealthy diet and lifestyle - another reason what we do should be more significant than how we look.

10. Cigar

Cigar Well-Known Member Past Donor

There’s plenty of reasons to dislike an individual … their weight is the least of them.

11. CoolWalker

CoolWalker New Member

Disliking them and finding them repugnant are two different things. Also employers are looking at obese people as a detriment as their health care costs could rise due to problems that ensue from obesity. Do you want to walk into an office and the receptionist sitting there weighs 400 pounds and is chewing on a french fry? I don't.

12. Idiocracy

Idiocracy New Member

Honestly I'm not much bothered by body shape I take to people's personality much more then the image they present and while I'm not attracted to obese men or women I often enjoy my friendly relationships with them some of the most outgoing people i know are larger. Honestly I'm mostly bothered by people who use their looks to define themselves or are obsessed with other peoples image. I think it is repugnant to think a person's image defines them for me at least it's very immature you know "don't read a book by its cover". I think taking chances and getting to know people especially when you break down their personas is the best part about relationships.

13. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

It isn't nice to judge people by their weight, but yes, I do it. I see an overweight person and I wonder why they could allow themselves to end up like that.

14. TBryant

TBryant Well-Known Member Past Donor

Lots of different people in the world, of course we judge them. I have seen some very active and strong overweight individuals. Many are inactive too. Sometimes they are so busy with the puzzles of life that they take no time for themselves. There are underweight people who are inactive also. Looking healthy and being healthy are not the same. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. I judge them one at a time.

15. spt5

spt5 New Member

Being overweight means that they don't care about themselves and others. It means that they don't negotiate, but they demand what they want, without respect.

16. submarinepainter

submarinepainter Well-Known Member Past Donor

Some overweight folks like me are very successful judge me on what I have accomplished

Mak I was normal weight til I was around 40 and it just came!! watch out :juggle:

totally untrue , while caring for my wife I gained a lot . it happens all the time .

the good news is I am getting help , a dietician , walking at lunch and the evening . 19.5 pounds gone in 5 weeks!

17. IgnoranceisBliss

I think people tend to be a bit more forgiving with older people. At 45-50+ it's pretty normal to see people carrying around an extra 20 pounds.

18. raymondo

raymondo Banned

I have no idea what you have accomplished , but I knew you were badly over weight from the number of times you gave me infractions and sent me on holidays for a few days
    What is he talking about , I hear you cry?
    Fat people increase the amount of the hormone Leptin in the brain . Now latest research shows that this in itself increases the predisposition to anger and violent behaviour .
    At last , a scientific base on which to hang my theory of fat people being a danger to themselves and others . And of course --- joy of joys --- most prevalent among Americans .
    This is why I have been so tolerant of your cruel behaviour to me at times . I knew that you had been at the mercy of too many Hamburgers and Chips .

Just do me the small favour of eating healthily today as I had not planned on being cast out again anytime soon .

;);)

19. TheTaoOfBill

TheTaoOfBill Well-Known Member

Yes. Weight is a big turn off for me in both Men and Women.

In women because I am just not attracted to obesity. It's just gross to me. I don't mind a little thick and curvy. But fat is gross. And there isn't an excuse for it. Stop eating (*)(*)(*)(*)ty and get on a treadmill.

In men because I like my friends to do very active things with me. Ride bikes. Climb rocks. Hit the gym. I don't mind playing the occasional board game or video game now and then but you've got to be willing to be more active if you want to be a close friend of mine.

20. TheChief

TheChief New Member

Fat and the Old. Two people it is still okay too discriminate against.

21. MnBillyBoy

MnBillyBoy New Member

I am Both ..so thank you. ;)

at 48 I weighed 285 at 6' 2 inches..
    I was able to 2 hand dunk a basket ball in 3 decades of playing..20 30 and 40/

Now Near 60 I walk 4 miles a day..do gym work 3 times a week..and weigh 315.

I do 3 sets of tri and curls at 80 lbs..hit a golf ball 280 and putt really well.
    I have lost 60 lbs over the last 2 years..
    I am large and old..I would still kick many 20-30 something's butt in many things ONE TIME..Most younger people couldn't walk 4 miles if they needed too..

But my main attribute is longevity..and Learning life lessons better than MOST. When you see a Old person ..reflect on that...when you have all the "what IF'S " in life..many times it is NOT LUCK someone survived.
    Learning and self adaptation NEVER ends.

My pulse is 55..normal blood pressure and I dont drink like a Fish and never smoked.
    Next time you see a skinny person drinking and smoking ..think about applying that discipline test evenly..

Image is not everything...but most find and discover that way too late..

TheChief and (deleted member) like this.
  22. leftlegmoderate

leftlegmoderate New Member

It sort of depends on how obese a person is, and under what conditions I perceive them. I've seen some massively overweight people shamelessly destroying plate after plate at buffet type restaurants. I don't have the highest of opinions for such a person. It's their choice to do as they wish of course, but restraint and moderation are good attributes. I really love to eat, and I'm fortunate to have the right metabolism for it (which is compounded by exercise), but I don't believe that I'd let my self go and risk dying an early death... over food.

So I guess it's just those who have no shame about being morbidly obese, and have no intentions of doing anything about it, that I percieve negatively.

Oh, one last thing... people who are really overweight and dress like they have a body that others would like to see... they need to stop that!

23. TheTaoOfBill

Even if someone is 800 pounds. The second they show a strong initiative to shed the weight they immediately gain my respect. But if your just obese and you're doing nothing about it you're killing your self. And your going to put your family through grief and mourning far too early. I have trouble respecting people who don't respect their own health.

24. TheTaoOfBill

With that kind of routine I doubt your fat. Just big.

25. Traditionalist

Traditionalist New Member

This is kind of a soap box issue for me as I am a healthy weight,and exercise on a regular basis. I keep in shape not only to feel and look good, but also b/c it's healthy. When I see someone 20-25 pounds overweight I don't think 'anything', but I do when they are 50,100+ pounds overweight b/c it shows lack of self control which is never a good trait....and I'm not talking about older(even tho age isn't an excuse) people or people with health problems. Women ask me all the time how I stay in shape after having so many kids. They automatically assume I have a high metabolism and don't want to believe that I look this way on PURPOSE! My biggest peeve is when asked for advice I get the;

I don't have time to work out
    I can't give up soda
    I can't give up 9pm dinners
    .....and the list goes on and on and on.

Having said all that I don't treat them any differently and their weight isn't something always on my mind unless they bring it up complaining about it. I would much rather be friends with an overweight kind person than a skinny stuck up spoiled snob anyday.

spt5 and (deleted member) like this.