Daddy, what was it like before the internet?

Discussion in 'History & Past Politicians' started by Junkieturtle, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Junkieturtle

Junkieturtle Well-Known Member Donor

I'm asking because I honestly don't really know. I turned 18 in the year 2000 and cast my first vote in a presidential election for Al Gore. Up until that Tuesday morning, I had been planning on voting for George Bush. That was mostly because my Dad spent most of the Clinton years complaining about him, and I was a teenager and not very interested in politics. I have an awesome 12th grade government and economics teacher to thank for my political interest. He was conservative about most issues, but not the preachy conservative. He was a good teacher, he engaged us, and he respected our contributions to the discussions we'd have. No one would get out of line in his class, and it wasn't because he was a strict teacher or quick to anger, it was just a mutual respect that we all had for him. He was that kind of teacher. Mr. Murray, you're awesome.

Anyway, to the meat of my question. I got to thinking about how I hadn't started paying attention to politics till after the internet had really gotten popular. Instant access to near infinite information had to have changed the political landscape. For those of you who were paying attention to politics before the rise of the internet, what was it like? How much information did you get compared to now and where would you get it from? What was the quality of it then compared to now?

I guess it just amazes me that politicians still try to pull moronic stuff. I get politics, and I get politicians, I know what they're about and how they are. It defies logic when they get up on stage somewhere and say things they know to be untrue, or spun, when they know for a fact that a veritable army of people on the internet are going to call them out on each misrepresented or fabricated thing they said. All I can think is, they still haven't grasped just how connected and alert the internet has made the nation and the world.

waltky and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

In the 1980's most of the children were watching televission. Parents and health professionals were very concerned that the young were spending so much time watching televission, very commonly several hours per day.

But in the 1950's all the children played outside. Most families did not have televissions, and for those that did there was not much to watch. I have a medical textbook written in 1946 that laments that "there does not exist any known form of entertainment that can keep a boy inside all day", in regards to children with congenital heart defects that were advised to minimise physical exertion. Rather ironic for the readers of today I think.

It was not that there were not things to do, just that the things to do did not really capture young people's interest. Boys played with blocks, toy soldiers, chemistry sets, did chores, cut the grass in the yard. Girls helped their mothers clean the house and cook dinner, helped look after the younger children. Before the internet, there were books. Parents would take their children to a library. Of course, this was really nothing like the internet.

Before the internet, people actually had friends. They would go to eachothers houses, or go to summer camps or family holidays. Young men were more into sports, different sports in different areas of course. Skiing, swimming in lakes, fishing, boating, walking on nature trails, games on grass fields for older people

As for politics, many adults were members of associations, including political associations. There were clubs for former military members, women's clubs, hunting clubs, youth associations for girls and boys

It was also once easier for girls and boys to find part-time work. Some boys would actually ride bicycles selling matches or newspapers to peoples houses. This does not happen today anymore.

3. _Lisa_

_Lisa_ New Member

;)

[video=youtube;7E88RUqyjts]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E88RUqyjts[/video]

4. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

How to keep the internet safer...
    :thumbsup:
    Want a safer Internet? Here's how to start
    February 9, 2016 - In our constantly-connected digital age, how can you keep yourself and your family safe online? Tech organizations and companies around the world are calling attention to security issues to mark Safer Internet Day, an annual event that aims to encourage better practices for making the Internet a safer place.
    See also:

These were the 25 worst passwords of 2015
    January 20, 2016, Is your password on the list? SplashData has released its annual "Worst Passwords List" for 2015, shining a spotlight on what it calls the "insecure password habits of some Internet users."

5. ThirdTerm

ThirdTerm Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Magazines and newspapers used to be the main providers of political news before the advent of the Internet. People were generally well-informed and it wasn't like we were Neanderthals. I especially learned English with the Newsweek magazine, which helped me understand US politics as well.

6. cjm2003ca

cjm2003ca Active Member

kids were in better shape..they would go outside and ride bikes and play with other kids in the parks...people would take walks all the time...people would go to the stores and buy things so there would be jobs all around..and wages are about what they are now...in 1985 i was just doing an average type of job and made 58,000 a year..that same job now they make 38,000..and i got 3 weeks paid vacation and 10 days sick leave too...but healthcare back then was paid for by my employer...