Will Obama/Liberals Resist Mormonism?

Discussion in 'Elections & Campaigns' started by Justin Valuable, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Justin Valuable

Justin Valuable New Member

A lot of people thought that Mitt Romney's Mormon faith would be an issue in the GOP primary -- it hasn't and probably won't be in this primary.

If Mitt Romney is the GOP candidate you can bet that his faith will be a hot topic in the media. But is questioning or going after Romney's faith a good thing for Obama and his team to do? I personally think that if Obama goes after Romney's faith it will backfire in a big way. Obama and his campaign will come off looking desperate and foolish for doing so.

With a struggling economy and low approval numbers, I don't think the Obama campaign will be able to resist going after Romney's faith -- they will try to scare the public of Romney's Mormon faith. With Obama's issues with the Catholic church he will come off as being a bully against religion, or anti-religion.

Politically, Romney's Mormon faith works well against a President and a media that has the perception of being anti-religion.

Thoughts?

2. Libhater

Libhater Well-Known Member

I hope they do so that we could after obama's obvious patriotism to radical Islamic Muslims such as with farrakhan and his memory of a commie mother & father.

3. CoolWalker

CoolWalker New Member

They more than likely believe it to be their ace in the hole.

4. stig42

stig42 New Member

Sounds like bull (*)(*)(*)(*) they will probably just go on and on about things he has done they don’t like in politicks

5. birddog

birddog New Member

Better a Morman than a Muslim!

6. stig42

stig42 New Member

Religion should not be made law so what’s it matter what faith if any someone has

7. mamooth

mamooth Well-Known Member Past Donor

It's funny, the way many conservatives believe liberals will act as badly as they do. Look at vile bigoted religious-based attacks from libhater and birddog right on this thread. People like that can't imagine acting ethically themselves, so they incorrectly assume their opposition is just as unethical.

Liberals don't care about the Mormon issue, other than how it makes it pointless for Democrats to campaign in Utah. The discussion on Mormonism will all be coming from FOX News and other conservative media sources, as they try to woo votes from spooked evangelicals by reassuring them that Mormons aren't polygamists.

Oh, a solid majority of Catholics support Obama's recent actions, so drop the victim act. If Republicans insist on endlessly playing the victim, that's the thing which is really going to disgust the average voter. The only people who think Obama is anti-religion are ODS-afflicted fringe cranks, and that crowd is beyond any hope.

8. birddog

birddog New Member

This country was founded on Judeo-Christian principles, not on edicts from Mohommad to kill those not agreeing with him. Try to learn the truth about Separation of Church and State.

9. stig42

stig42 New Member

Christianity is not the sate the state is not Christian this is not a theocracy no government official and no law should exist to force a religious practice down our throats

Barrowing ides we like from a religion is fine if you have a secular real world justification for them that’s not dependent on the religion

10. RiseAgainst

RiseAgainst Banned

I hope they go after it. I've never had an issue with mormons, some of the nicest people I've ever met. However, these black liberation theologists have an attitude they can't seem to shake off.

11. stig42

stig42 New Member

Weren’t enlightenment ideas and examples of past governments also used in setting up the nation almost positive we ripped having a senate off from some one?

12. mamooth

mamooth Well-Known Member Past Donor

Could you point to the word "God" in the Constitution?

I only ask because my copy is god-free. Is there some special revised PC version of the Constitution that talks about God?

While you're at it, could you point out where in the Bible it talks about freedom of speech, separation of powers, representative government, or pretty much anything in the constitution? Best I can tell, the Bible and the Constitution have almost in nothing in common.

13. fifthofnovember

fifthofnovember Well-Known Member

Americans are free to believe whatever crazy crap they want...BUT should an adherent to a fraudulent religion run the country? I just don't think that such a person is mentally competent to do so. The Book of Mormon has been proven to be a fraud. Anyone who believes it is "inspired by God" has proven their mental deficiency, and willingness to ignore established facts.

http://listverse.com/2007/08/30/top-10-famous-hoaxes/

http://www.rlhymersjr.com/Articles/12-08-02BookOfMormonAFraud.html

Joseph Smith also claimed that the moon was inhabited, and LDS "prophet" Brigham Young claimed that the Sun was also inhabited!http://www.challengemin.org/moon.html

14. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon New Member

Article VI section 3 of the U.S. Constitution

15. Anikdote

Anikdote Well-Known Member

I doubt the DNC will directly go after Mitt and his faith, but I'm 100% certain groups that support Obama and his campaign will and for good reason in my opinion. Mormonism is insane, and from where I'm sitting, not all that different than Scientology or any other concocted religion of the past 100 or so years.

You really got to wonder whether a fellow who believes that Jesus came to America and turned all the natives brown, is competent enough to be president, or moreover completely insane.

16. stig42

stig42 New Member

Don’t see how it would be much worse than someone else who believes Jesus came back from the dead

Having a religion doesn’t seem to affect job performance for most people including Mormons

17. Anikdote

At least then you can fall back on antiquity and the fact that Jesus lived is a matter of historical fact. My point being that, I can understand faith in Christianity, Mormonism, like Scientology I cannot.

Don't disagree typically, but Mormonism just seems strange and cult like to me. It's an entirely subjective position.

18. SFJEFF

SFJEFF New Member

Yeah, hearing any Christian saying that Mormonism is not believable is pretty funny to me.

All religions are a matter of faith. There is no test to determine whether a religion is 'real' or not.

I do not tell my evangelical Christian friends that their faith is wrong, and I do not tell that to Mormons.

I have issues with the Mormon Church, but not with any Mormons- frankly I have never met a Mormon who has been anything less than kind, honest and hard working.

19. ChiKaea

ChiKaea New Member

I'm a little curious why Mormanism seems cult-like to you. Canyou explain?

20. RiseAgainst

RiseAgainst Banned

Don't even bother. He's one of those "I hate all religious people so I'll attack the most vulnerable" types.

21. ChiKaea

ChiKaea New Member

I just want it explained why everyone seems to call Mormonism "cult-like". I guess I must just not understand what it means to be a cult. :wierdface:

22. Anikdote

The man who established the religion did so under some very strange circumstances; magic glasses, golden tablets no one else was allowed to see and the only thing to base the entire event on was this guys word. Couple that with the postmortem conversions and the belief that Jesus turned the native people brown.... yea, it's strange.

Congratulations on revealing to everyone your ignorance. I'm a theist, specifically a Christian. I'll be the first to admit thee are strange things in every religion, but some are quite over the top.

So try and dig your foot out of your mouth and stop jumping to conclusions and you'll avoid looking like a fool in the future.

23. birddog

birddog New Member

I don't remember mentioning the Constitution. A key document to consider would be The Declaration of Independence.

24. ChiKaea

ChiKaea New Member

That doesn't explain why it's a cult. That just explains why it's strange.

25. Anikdote

Cult can be defined as a religion whose practices are unorthodox or spurious, I think it fits that definition nicely. Unless you think polygamy is orthodox...