Big JESUS event Next Sunday!

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by jedimiller, Mar 25, 2012.

1. jedimiller

jedimiller Well-Known Member

http://www.watchgmctv.com/world-premiere-event-jesus

You can see the trailer there...

Jesus, a gmc World Premiere Event, is about the extraordinary life and mission of Jesus. This biblical story reveals how during His relatively short life, Jesus grew from a simple carpenter to a man whose spiritual teachings and compassion continue to provide hope and salvation to billions of followers. Stars Jeremy Sisto, Debra Messing, Academy award-nominee Gary Oldman and beloved tv and film actress Jacqueline Bisset.

For the Christians of the board.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bko1JNQ9Q4"]Jesus - A gmc World Premiere Event - April 1st - YouTube[/ame]

2. Margot

Margot Account closed, not banned

I have seen it.. Good movie.. Came out in 1999.

3. OverDrive

OverDrive Well-Known Member Past Donor

Thx. Looking fwd to seeing it.

But just once I would like to see the 'most accurate' portrayal of Jesus the Jew, as he was described as being tall of stature, but also not being 'good looking' as prophesied:

Isaiah 53:2
    he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

The negative of the Shroud of Turin actually looked like the way that "I" pictured Him..long nose, tall, etc. And in life, He was dark of skin color..and didnt have 'blue' eyes!

EDIT: Not this Jesus, altho I enjoyed the movie![ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGYNRBq43iQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGYNRBq43iQ[/ame]

4. jedimiller

No you Haven't.

5. jedimiller

That was not talking about the way he looked. Do you think he HAD NO FORM? of course he did. He was not a beautiful model guy, he was average looking and normal looking. But not Black.

6. Margot

7. OverDrive

'No form' could also mean 'not a big, muscled-up man,' He was a carpenter, w/o any power tools, and so had to 'man handle' wood and shaped it with much labor; as well as walked everywhere He went. And, so He also was no 'wimp!'

And who said that He was 'Black?!' But, He wasnt a lite-skinned, blue-eyed Scandinavian, for sure!

8. jedimiller

I admit, I checked it..I was wrong. How the heck did I miss this? Well, I had just left the church in 98...maybe that's why.

And what's with the false advertising? saying it's THE WORLD PREMIERE...LIARS!!!!

9. Margot

I have seen it more than once on TBN I think.. late night.

Its a beautiful film.. and well done.

10. jedimiller

Very nice Margot. So you believe Jesus was real and the son of GOD? I always had the impression you weren't a christian...?

11. Margot

Oh I am a Christian... I'm just not a fundamentalist or dominionist.

12. raymondo

raymondo Banned

No argument about him being real , and naturally he is A son of god .
    Try and get this , "He was a Carpenter " bit , correct .
    The translation never was , and is not that now . The correct translation is , " Master Builder "
    Regardless of your ignorance of such detail scholarship , common sense should tell you that the chances of someone of the Royal Line of David being a humble carpenter are zero .
    Fortunately , the correct translation avoids having to guess .

13. jedimiller

How do you define yourself as a christian? where do you pray?

It can be anywhere...work, car, park. Not in A church.

would you get married on top of a hill with no materialistic fashions?

14. Shiva_TD

Shiva_TD Progressive Libertarian Past Donor

This last statement raised my interest so I looked into it. The ancient Semites, of which Jews are a part along with Arabs, typically had brown skin, brown eyes and predominately black hair. While the Bible gives no specific clues outside of the statement that Jesus was not particularily good looking one thing we can probably assume is that he wasn't "white-skinned" as most Western cultures portray him.

From genetic studies Semites are from the African genetic group which includes white-skinned, brown-skinned or black-skinned subgroups but based upon the specifics genetics of melanin index related to Semites he was most likely brown-skinned but it could also vary in how brown the color actually was.

I have not seen the movie noted but it might be interesting. What I would really like to see is a documentary exploring the marketing of "Christianity" that turned the relatively small Jewish religious cult started by Jesus into a world religion with the inclusion of non-Jews after Jesus died. The marketing of Christianity hasn't been explored very well but it was one of the greatest marketing campaigns in human history.

15. Shangrila

Shangrila staff Past Donor

Marketing, Shiva, indeed has morphed Him into something.
    On the other hand, Christ is all things to all people, so he may be all skin tones, as all of us are made in God's image.
    So, it depends on how you look at it.

Felicity and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Margot

Of course you can pray anywhere.

I was married in a small church..

Am I missing your point?

17. OverDrive

Melanin was reqd by all the civilizations around the equator (see also the Incas, et al), to inhabit those areas and survive the sun--would include Semites, Arabs, Mediterraneans, and Africans in that area of the world.

Interesting about the phrase, "marketing of Christianity." Since pretty much all of the early followers of Christ were poor and not affluent in material wealth. Pretty much word-of-mouth with some epistles (letters) was the vehicle.

But Constantine did provide a venue to spread the belief system, altho I firmly believe that making it the 'state religion' actually watered down & made the foundational beliefs somewhat impotent. Some have said, making it the religion of the Roman Empire 'ruined' the pureness of Christianity!

18. The Wyrd of Gawd

The Wyrd of Gawd Well-Known Member

The term "carpenter" in the Bible refers to someone who fashions wooden idols from wood. It comes full circle when Jesus gets crucified on a wooden cross, making him the ultimate wooden idol.

19. Daggdag

Daggdag Well-Known Member

He was darker skinned than others. Most jews back then were. They were descended from a group of people who came from africa, through Egypt, to get to the middle east. He most likely had a skin tone somewhere between black and a sun-dark tannish color, such as we see in the middle east now.

20. raymondo

raymondo Banned

What has that got to do with the price of bananas?
    The correct translation is Master Builder and that had a very precise meaning in those times and is a hundred miles from the term carpenter .
    So let's get it straight .
    The Bible says Master Builder . Your translated version into English contains an error .
    Not a little error that makes little difference to the narrative . But a huge error which represents the difference of a humble stationed Carpenter to the Operations Manager , in today's speak , working for a major player in the building trade , Joseph of Arimathea .
    And that is to be expected . After all , he was King in terms of the royal line of David .

21. Leffe

Leffe New Member

This film would seem to be a part of the modern day marketing.

22. BFSmith@764

BFSmith@764 Banned

I sorry to be picky but right off the bat I see that the image of Jesus that the movie gives does not match what is recorded in the Bible. It makes Jesus appearance stand out among His fellow Jews. But the Bible shows that He looked like a typical Jew of His day, since Judas had to point Him out by a kiss.....He never had long hair because that was not common back then, as well as the fact the Bible says that a man with long hair it dishonors him.

So I would not give it too much credit or look to it for much Biblical truth.....it’s no substitute for doing one's own Bible study on the life of Jesus and what He taught. Movies and those who do them is about entertainment, so they often take a little poetic license to make their production appeal to the masses. If it only deals with Jesus but ignore the message that He taught, it would really missed the reason why He came……we already have a lot of people who know about Jesus (including Christians) but have little to no idea what His message was about.

23. BFSmith@764

BFSmith@764 Banned

It means that how He looked was not what would attract a lot of people to Himself.....He was not tall dark and handsome as we would say. It was His message that was attractive and that He spoke with authority……so God was not going to give Him a body that would distract people from the message.

24. Leffe

Leffe New Member

Please consider that the OP is obesssed by Star Wars and has an avatar of jesus with a light sabre cross.

There are some issues with reality here.

25. Shiva_TD

Shiva_TD Progressive Libertarian Past Donor

A quick note that Arabs are semites just as Jews are semites. They share a common heredity based upon language.

Marketing is not limited to only enterprise and anyone that makes that distinction hasn't considered marketing in it's universal application. I could propose that most marketing is not related to enterprise because people routinely "market" their personal beliefs.

That point aside if we look at the Jesus from a historical standpoint he did not address his beliefs to the non-Jewish population and he wasn't even the only "Jewish Messiah" of his time. He established a small Jewish cult much like the other "Jewish Messiahs" of the time. The differences between the Jesus Jewish cult and other Jewish messiah cults is that his followers expanded it from being limited to the Jews to incorporating the Romans and non-Jews after his death. It did not occur during his lifetime as he addressed no one but the Jews so we have no indications from his actual life that it he intended to include anyone other than Jews. That was promoted after his death by his followers.

As noted it was a great marketing scheme by his followers because we see that the other Jewish "messiah" cults have quickly faded into history and are little known today. All told I believe that about 50 Jewish messiahs have existed over time but Christianity is the only one that exists today and it exists solely because it expanded outside of strictly Jewish limitations. These cults have always been rejected by the Jewish leaders which is why they quickly disappear. It is very much like mainstream Christians rejecting the Branch Davidians identifying David Koresh as a cult leader.

It is somewhat surprising that Mormonism has survived as long as it has because it can probbly be identified as a Christian cult but, then again, it is being rejected as a cult by main stream Christianity today as well. It continues to exist though based upon marketing so as long as the marketing is good it will continue to survive.

Anyway, I'd love to see a documentary on the early marketing of Christianity but haven't seen one created yet. It could be a very informative as there is much to be explored related to it. The "How did a very small Jewish cult from 2000 years ago become a major religion" is an interesting topic for a documentary IMO.