Historical Setting For Revelation

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Margot, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Margot

Margot Account closed, not banned

This is a fascinating website for those who enjoy history and the Bible..

http://www.apocalipsis.org/rev-hist.htm

8. Historical setting:

Hailey gives an excellent account of the historical setting. The specific historical events below are listed by Caird.

AD 60: Earthquakes
    AD 62: Defeat of Roman army by Parthian Vologeses on eastern frontier.
    AD 64: Persecution of Christians by Nero following the fire of Rome.
    AD 68: Suicide of Nero
    AD 70: Four year war of Jews and Romans ending with Jerusalem in ruins
    AD 79: Eruption of Vesuvius
    AD 92: Serious grain famine
    AD 81-96 Reign of Domitian, institutes emperor worship.
    AD 95: Writing of Revelation.

SNIP

By the time of the Revelation Caesar worship was the one religion which covered the whole Roman empire; and it was because of their refusal to conform to its demands that Christians were persecuted and killed. Its essence was that the reigning Roman Emperor, as embodying the spirit of Rome, was divine.

Once a year everyone in the Empire had to appear before magistrates to burn a pinch of incense to the godhead of Caesar and to say: 'Caesar is Lord.' After he had done that, a man might go away and worship any god or goddess he liked, so long as that worship did not infringe decency and good order; but he must go through this ceremony in which he acknowledged the Emperor's divinity.

SNIP

There is the account which tradition gives us. The consistent tradition is that john was banished to Patmos in the time of Domitian; that he saw his visions there; at the death of Domitian was liberated and came back to Ephesus; and there set down the visions he had seen. Victorinus, who wrote towards the end of the third century AD. , says in his commentary on the Revelation: 'John, when he saw these things was in the island of Patmos, condemned to the mines by Domitian the Emperor.

There, therefore, he saw the revelation... When he was afterwards set free from the mines, he handed down this revelation which he had received from God.' Jerome is even more detailed: 'In the fourteenth year after the persecution of Nero, John was banished to the island of Patmos, and there wrote the Revelation... Upon the death of Domitian, and upon the repeal of his acts by the senate, because of their excessive cruelty, he returned to Ephesus, when Nerva was emperor.' Eusebius says: 'The apostle and evangelist John related these things to the Churches, when he had returned from exile in the island after the death of Domitian'.

Tradition makes it certain that John saw his visions in exile in Patmos; the only thing that is doubtful--and it is not important-- is whether he wrote them down during the time of his banishment or when he returned to Ephesus. On this evidence we will not be wrong if we date the Revelation about AD. 95.

2. Margot

Margot Account closed, not banned

FYI....................

Dates the Emperors Ruled

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    27BC-14AD
    Augustus Caesar "The first Roman Emperor"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    14AD-37AD Tiberius "The Emperor who trusted Sejanus and lived in Capri"

37-41AD Caligula "The Evil Emperor who proclaimed himself a god"

41-54AD Claudius "The bumbling Emperor who married the infamous Messalina"

54-68AD Nero "The mad tyrant who blamed the Christians for the burning of Rome"

68-69AD Galba "The old man the first in the Year of the four Emperors"

69AD Otho "The greedy ruler who lasted just three months"

69AD Vitellius "The man who killed his dissolute son"

69-79AD Vespasian "The Emperor who built the Colosseum"

79-81AD Titus "The Emperor who destroyed the temple in Jerusalem"

81-96AD Domitian "The evil emperor who murdered thousands of Christians"

3. OverDrive

OverDrive Well-Known Member Past Donor

Looks like a long list of possible 'types!' Thx...

4. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

FYI.....................

5. OverDrive

Well, Margot, Guess YOU sucked me into responding to your ignorance of Biblical "
    types & shadows."

I'll just leave you with this post, as ppl get as much out of the scriptures as they "hunger for."

Obvious types (& shadows) include the most obvious of Abraham's sacrifice of his only begotten son Isaac...but only a 'type' and Abraham wasnt allowed to sacrifice him as that would have been the 'actual event' and making Jesus the Son of God to no avail!

But other obvious types are Joshua (means Savior in Heb), Ruth & Boaz (the grafting in), etc.

Here is 'just' one of several sources with respect to Biblical types to look at: http://www.ntslibrary.com/PDF%20Books%20II/Dictionary%20of%20Bible%20Types.pdf

You can Google many more....God reveals His plans and reconfirms them over and over again! It's a sign of His consistency! Again many types of that are similar but NOT the REAL event!!!

You always talk about your 'advanced age,' but I'm no spring chicken in studying the scriptures with 35+ years doing so, many of those years intense as well as having gone thru a Bible College.

Btw, I 'discovered' types & shadows on my own b4 I heard the phrase! Thru my own studies...

So if you are interested as in 'teaching an old dog new tricks," study up on....but as for me, I done.....

6. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

Why does he go off on the Catholic Church?

I do remember coming across this Walter Wilson before, but I don't put much credence in his shadows and types.

7. OverDrive

I just 'Googled & grabbed' this link as there are many on types & shadows.

I 'found' this type & shadow (as a 'personal revelation') back in 1986 and have seen no other interpretation since:
    http://www.politicalforum.com/showthread.php?t=187727&p=3922766#post3922766

Question: Is the 2000 cubits of the ppl following the ark of the covenant (Jesus being the author of a new & better covenant and 'the actual ark'), just a number w/o meaning made by the spirit of the man who wrote Joshua? Or is it the writing of a man "inspired" by the Holy Spirit?

You going to be around in 17 yrs (2030, 2000 yrs after the death & resurrection of Jesus Christ?) ha ha

I've noticed that you never talk about "the Holy Spirit" but are carnally locked in to your outlook on the scriptures.

Are we indwelt with the HS as scripture says (being the temple of the HS)? Are the Sons of God led by the Spirit of God?

I've been 'around the horn' and seen my share of "Holy Ghost wackos" (as in, 'God told me to wear this outfit today,' etc. etc. etc.) but I dont throw the baby out with the bath water concerning 'spiritual leading.' Ongoing 'revelation' is available 'in its time" for those who hunger & thirst for it'--for they shall be filled.

I feel sorry for those Christians who 'dry up' and 'forget/lose their 1st love,'...again, believing that one gets as much of God as they are hungry for!

8. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

Well I am not "dried up".. My sense of the Holy Spirit is very personal..

I don't care for Wilson's take on types.. or his use of the term "grafting".. because in scripture Israel is often referred to as a fig tree that will never again bear fruit. That plus the fact that Jewish men were always taking foreign wives.. means the story of Ruth and Boaz has a deeper meaning than "grafting..

What are Messianic Congregations?

Messianic congregations are faith communities that stress the Jewish context of the Gospel of Jesus the Messiah. Messianic congregations often employ Jewish forms of worship, use Hebrew in their liturgy and stress the connection of Messiah to the Hebrew Scriptures.

(snip)

Messianic congregations also emphasize the celebration of the Jewish festivals, which often become an event for members of the wider Jewish community who do not know Messiah.

http://www.chosenpeople.com/main/messianic-congregations

Are you a Baptist?

9. OverDrive

Know nothing about the person in the 1st link--just an example of how 'universal' acceptance of types & shadows is..

Raised Roman Catholic, walked down the aisle & water baptized in a Baptist church (but didnt stay there very long,) moved on to AOG, then several inter/non-denominational churches, and the only label I wear now is "Believer & follower of the Words of Jesus Christ."

10. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

Then you must know that Wilson trashes the Catholic Church with his "types and shadows".

11. OverDrive

If I dont know the person as I said, then how would I know that? Again, for the 3rd time, was just a quick 'Google & grab' to be used as example. But I can see how 'religion of the state' would be carnal, anti-will of God keeping ppl in bondage, and why 'some' scholars go off in that direction..But I have no particuar ax to grind..

12. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

Trashing the Catholic Church was in YOUR link about Wilson's types and shadows.

13. OverDrive

Again, "a" link...!!! Not 'my' link,,,,,,,

14. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

15. OverDrive

16. OverDrive

I see casting nets for fish and Jesus' comment, "I will make you fishers of men," as fish are those out there and become profitable as food (fishes & loaves), but they must be 'caught.'

And to catch fish, one needs not only bait, but the right bait! Many Christians dont use the right bait (the love & grace of a sacrificial Savior), but use the wrong bait, such as judgment, condemnation, legalism, the Law, Hellfire, etc. They catch little to no fish with that kind of bait!

17. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

HERE'S THE INTRO.

A DICTIONARY OF
    BIBLE TYPES
    by Walter Wilson

18. OverDrive

And so your locked into a link that I disregarded and are ignoring my other texting, huh? So much for being 'profitable'....

Btw, how did 'Margot' get Banned and became 'Margot2?'

19. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

I had a complete meltdown of computer and wifi modem.. and I had changed my email address 2 years earlier. The site administrator helped me and deleted my Margot account.

That PDF link is by Walter Wilson.