Soccer

Discussion in 'Humor & Satire' started by montra, Mar 25, 2012.

1. montra

montra New Member

I don't get it. As an American I am as perplexed by it as those around the world are perplexed why I would rather watch REAL football, basketball, or baseball. In fact, I went to a game the other day and I have the following observations.

Why does the clock not count down to zero? It is perhaps the only sport created where the clock does not count down to zero. From the vantage point of someone who is not familiar with the game, this is problematic, especially when bored to tears. After all, last I checked numbers go to infinity, and if you are not familiar with the game you have no idea what magical number the game will stop at.

For any like me, and you are faced with watching a game here are a few pointers.

1. Bring your cell phone so that you can watch real sports on ESPN.
    2. Try to engage in conversation during the game to keep yourself occupied, preferably with someone as disinterested as you in the game.
    3. Go buy munchies. This will burn at least 15 minutes or more off the game and you get the added bonus of first dibbs.
    4. Drink lots of beer. After all, this seems to help with most forms of pain and/or discomfort.
    5. Create other forms of exitement other than the guy yelling "GOAL!!" once every 2 hours or so. Maybe if they had cheerleaders......

2. ryanm34

ryanm34 New Member

I can't think of any sport where the clock counts down Gaelic, Hurling, Rugby, soccer hockey all sports I can think of the clock counts up. Anyone with half a brain and the slightest interest in the game is capable of remembering the length of time a match takes and subtracting one from the other.

Here is another suggestion if you don't like the sport in the first place

DON'T ATTEND

3. montra

montra New Member

Hurling? I did not know this was even a sport. Is it done after bar hopping perhaps? :puke:

To be fair, I probably should have known about hockey, but I simply am not a fan. I would put rugby in the same category as say, cricket. Sure you have heard of it, but as an American will have zero exposure to it.

4. ryanm34

ryanm34 New Member

[​IMG]

Hurling. Fastest field sport on earth.

30 fit young men whacking a small leather ball around a field with 3 foot long wooden sticks.

Mad craic.

I would class american football with the likes of boules or croquet.